Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is ammusing.

When I asked about the Tomei turbo in one of the vendors threads about it - I asked if it was just a glorified IX turbo...

Seems I was spot on.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realy dont have much to do with this thread, but I was actualy on the phone with chad working out the final details of my bbk while this turbo was being installed. When I asked him what he was up to, he told me they were putting this turbo in and he was REALLY excited to see what it could do! He never bashed it at all. He actualy seemed pretty stoaked to see something new on his rollers. If anything he had amped it up pretty good! Im sure thats why he had to write here about it. Kind of a let down. I know he owns a shop, and a great turbo, but dont forget he is still a gearhead like all of us too! And after talking to him about it on the phone, I see why he was let down! And fwiw I dont even know chad! Only over the phone! Lookin forward to meeting you on the 21st though!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
this is a BS thread. sorry but its always best to look at successful results for comparisons sake. there is yet only one successful Tomie turbo results. the guy was making good power on the FP green at 455whp. then he bolted in the Tomie and made another 25+ whp. those are the results to look for. hell a resonated test pipe can pinch 40 hp on setups.

this is just a decent vender who is happy to post unsuccessful results of a competitors turbo to make the one he sells look good. The BBK by the way has horrible track results that speak for themselves. I think the highest trap on a BBK is 123. nothing short of pathetic.
No sir, your post is BS.

123 MPH on pump gas. The only stock appearing turbo with a trap that high this year on pump only/stock block is a FP Red. The only results faster than 123.76 were either done on E-85, built block, or a combination of both. Not bad company if you ask me since Chad has repeatedly stated this turbo was not built for max hp/low et. at the drag strip, but to have a quick spooling, broad power band for auto-x and road course.

You might wanna do your homework before you start calling CBRD "just a decent vendor", I've only had great experiences with them and have never heard anything bad about them, and they have a great reputation with the other big vendors on these forums.

As for only looking at the successful results, I would much rather see the worst that a turbo would give me so I'm not pissed off when my car dynos at 317HP when I was expecting 400.

For you guys to bash him for posting his thoughts on the turbo, from which he based on actual dyno numbers, is pretty lame.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Aug 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I think everyone has their panties in a bunch because you didnt make power on a turbo that others are, and upselling him to your turbo.
Most shops are shady and people are quick to call it out.
You are deff one of the trustworthy shops, but that thought will still pop in peoples minds.

I would take it with a grain of salt. Your rep is better then that for obvious reasons.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW. I clicked on this thread and unfortunately had to read quite a bit of B.S., which is the norm I guess on this forum. We all cry out for results and when someone posts some, we act like 4 yr olds. Really people, 99.9% of the people on this forum need to grow up, QUICKLY. Now, I've never purchased anything from CBRD nor have I met Chad or the crew at CBRD. I have on many occassions spoke with him on the phone. The guy has never once said anything negative about anyone, PERIOD, YES, EVEN THE COMPETITION. He has always maintained, "THEY MAKE A QUALITY PRODUCT". Chad Block is an enthusiat, just like the rest of us. Actually that's not true. He does things on a level most people can only dream of. He is always willing to lend a helping hand, taking time from his busy day to help someone who's never purchased anything from him. If INTEGRITY was a measure of physical strength, I guarantee you, this guy would be one of the strongest human beings around. DO NOT QUESTION THIS GUY'S INTEGRITY.
CHAD, SORRY FOR GOING OT IN YOUR THREAD.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
like i said,

im all up for doing another one

if we switch him to another turbo and it's still a terd then ill eat my words huh? LOL LOL!

cb
Sounds good, btw if I don't get the results I want, in about two weeks you can expect and order for a BBK full from myself because I don't really care what product I'm using, I just care about making power on my DD

Good luck
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:36 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bambooi
You sell your own brand turbo, so it would be good for you to get the customer to buy your turbo ($). Unless you post the full logs showing everything, then your back to back test will be worth a grain of salt. I understand if you would not want to do this, and most tuners probably wouldn't, but I just couldn't believe your information due to the conflict of interest.
I have no interest in either turbo, but I just wanted to point this fact out to other members who are interested.
this is a BS thread. sorry but its always best to look at successful results for comparisons sake. there is yet only one successful Tomie turbo results. the guy was making good power on the FP green at 455whp. then he bolted in the Tomie and made another 25+ whp. those are the results to look for. hell a resonated test pipe can pinch 40 hp on setups.

this is just a decent vender who is happy to post unsuccessful results of a competitors turbo to make the one he sells look good. The BBK by the way has horrible track results that speak for themselves. I think the highest trap on a BBK is 123. nothing short of pathetic.
Originally Posted by CWiLL
Thanks for the results but I've had great luck with the tomei. Diirks turbo made 485whp on e85 n he loved it. Luis' car made 405whp on pump on a dyno jet in 101degree weather. There's others too.
O well u can't please the direct competitors anyway
Holy knee-jerking violent reactions batman! You guys need to calm down. First off, its obvious from the graph that the results aren't doctored or anything. You can't make a power profile look like that while running 26psi and even low timing. It would be much more flat, not a smooth upward line. There's like two other dyno plots with the tomei, there is NOT that much data out there yet. And the ones that were, are on different dynos.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-results.html

405whp on pump gas on a dynojet. Guess what that's more like 350whp on CBRD's dyno. If it would have hit that we would not have been so disappointed.

The other graph is on E85 I think? I can't find it. Maybe there's something else wrong with the car and a BBK will only yield 330whp as well. With the parts combo and the dyno chart and other data, it seems like the limitation is the turbo. Heck, maybe the turbo is broke/bad? Who knows? That's the point of this Dyno Results forum: put some parts on a car, tune it as best you can, and share the results with others. Hopefully CBRD will be kind enough to share with us the updated results when a different turbo is bolted on and we'll go from there.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides

405whp on pump gas on a dynojet. Guess what that's more like 350whp on CBRD's dyno. If it would have hit that we would not have been so disappointed.
LOL I guess you have reading comprehension issues, my head was messed up and it has been for about 3 months now I just never paid attention to it because I was happy with the power it made on stock turbo E85.

I want you to go to the track and show me what that BBK can really do, if you're so sure about it. Then I'll go when my car is done and we can compare notes. This car is not a good example and you know it, but since the customer made 110whp over baseline, I'm pretty sure he was happy. Good luck
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
LOL I guess you have reading comprehension issues, my head was messed up...
This thread isn't about the BBK (sucking at the track or not), so in the interest of keeping it on-topic, I will PM you
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
This thread isn't about the BBK (sucking at the track or not), so in the interest of keeping it on-topic, I will PM you
Ill wait then...but a properly set-up car like your should do pretty well considering the numbers on CBRDs dyno.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
They are many other factors that might cause the disappointing dyno numbers.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

wow. i made more power with less boost with my stock turbo.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:25 AM

this is just a decent vender who is happy to post unsuccessful results of a competitors turbo
Tomei is JDM so I'm not sure how posting those results effect a small business/local competitor but I'm still sorry for the Evo results

on a good note I've seen these do great in CA18/SR20 applications!!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by blackdemon
wow. i made more power with less boost with my stock turbo.
True, but don't take weather conditions out of it... it was quite a bit different when you were here getting tuned (if my memory serves me correctly)

It amazes me how some people react (not just in this thread) to posted results of a product. Especially when they don't "like" them.... The car with the Tomei turbo the other day did what was posted, and frankly, we were all disappointed. If you don't like the results, that's fine. I would hope that after all of the hard work that we all here have put in over the last few years to establish our selves as ethical, honest, and trustworthy would weigh in on this thread. This thread was NEVER meant to be a Tomei vs. BBK (or Green/Red/HTA/Gold/White... etc.) thread. We've ALWAYS been honest and up front with results... we've tuned a few Reds and Greens and always have posted honest and un-biased results. If you think otherwise, that's your problem.

Back outside to finish loading for track testing on Sunday!!! WOOT!!!

Quick Reply: Tomei ARMS turbo = not awesome at all