Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Dyno tuned the IX tonight, 393/340 - "Lana"

Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno tuned the IX tonight, 393/340 - "Lana"

Pulled from my project log:

So, tonight we finally got the last of the kinks worked out to get it on the dyno:

After about maybe 15 pulls, emery had it dialed in nicely. The huge cams and large intake manifold kill the low end torque, but it REALLY shines up top. We tuned it on E85 from our local pump (at $2.69 a gallon, sweet!!). We got up to about 360 whp on the fuel pump on it's low setting before we ran out of injector using the 1600's. We changed the jumper on the pump to it's high setting, and had more fuel than we knew what to do with. At the end of tonight, it's at a safe, knock free tune in 75+ degree weather, and it makes 393 whp and around 340 ft/lb:

As a comparison, in a 200 - 300 pound heavier car last year with 358 whp, I went 11.010 @ 124.55 mph, so this car is going to boogie! I got on it leaving the shop in second gear, and it instantly nuked the tires away, and I had to get out, as it started to lose control. It's an utter monster. I couldn't be happier

I drove it for 25 minutes back to my house on the street, and it was pretty good! Easy to drive in my opinion, for short runs without power steering. The exhaust blowing on my legs was more of a nuisance, hah. It is LOUD!!!!
For mods, the car has a lot done to it. It's still a stock motor though, and stock turbo, which is absolutely the limiting factor. Basic mods, ignoring the lightweight mods are as follows:

Kelford 280/272 Mivec cams
AEM EMS
STM aluminum charge pipe
Buschur Race FMIC
Driven Innovations intake manifold
Hypertune throttlebody
stock exhaust manifold and IX turbo
custom STM o2 housing / downpipe
AWD Motorsports aluminum driveshaft
Shogun electric water pump
1600 cc injectors
4 gallon fuel cell with FueLab prodigy fuel pump
E85

Again, it has a lot more, the car is REALLY light, but these are the main power mods. I expect good things from this
--mark
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

She's ready to play!!!! Didn't know you had cams. Take those out. Haha. You don't need them with the stock turbo.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Hah, it's kind of nice with the torque not coming on until later. It makes peak torque after the boost drops, and it comes on pretty even, instead of all at once. It was still enough power to blow away the tires, but it will be different on slicks.

It is fast, haha.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

How much boost is that?
I'm so spoiled with my 440 wtq. Makes for a lighter car without taking much weight out.

When is the track day?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm at 32 psi spike, not sure what it is holding, I believe like 24 - 25 at 7500.

Our track is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I "could" go tomorrow, but I want to do an oil change, move my seat forward, and just check everything over good first. I don't want to risk anything over rushing, ya know.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Great project you have going. The stock turbo is just one of the many setups to come I suppose? Good luck man, time to have some fun!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:51 AM
Former Sponsor

I followed your red evo's story all along-- I'm a big fan!!

I'm curious why your graph looks so different than this one,,,

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ock-turbo.html

Checked for leaks??
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

No leaks, it can all be explained pretty well. Shawna's car has the stock intake manfold, and 272/272 cams. Mine has the huge Driven Innovations intake manifold and the 280/272 cams, both of which are made for revving to 10k with a big turbo. Her car makes gobs of torque down low, but mine makes a VERY flat torque curve, and makes power all the way to redline. It feels like driving an N/A car, which is pretty awesome.

The tune and the fuel are the same quality, it's simply the difference in parts that make the dyno graphs so much different. I don't really have a huge torque spike, in fact, my car made peak torque after the boost fell from 32 down to 25 or so!

--mark
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by neonglh
No leaks, it can all be explained pretty well. Shawna's car has the stock intake manfold, and 272/272 cams. Mine has the huge Driven Innovations intake manifold and the 280/272 cams, both of which are made for revving to 10k with a big turbo. Her car makes gobs of torque down low, but mine makes a VERY flat torque curve, and makes power all the way to redline. It feels like driving an N/A car, which is pretty awesome.

The tune and the fuel are the same quality, it's simply the difference in parts that make the dyno graphs so much different. I don't really have a huge torque spike, in fact, my car made peak torque after the boost fell from 32 down to 25 or so!

--mark

You only made 15tq higher at 6600rpm or so with an intake mani, tb, and ix turbo.-- Almost 100tq lower at 4400.

Not telling you what to do or anything, you're in great hands with Stm--- Just pointing out my opinion. Something may be going on here.

Last edited by E-SPEC INDUSTRIES; Jun 2, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by E-SPEC@TopLevelPerformance
You only made 15tq higher at 6600rpm or so with an intake mani, tb, and ix turbo.-- Almost 100tq lower at 4400.

Not telling you what to do or anything, you're in great hands with Stm--- Just pointing out my opinion. Something may be going on here.

Its kinda funny that the graph looks like this but even before we started I told mark this is what its gonna do. The car is set up a LOT different then any other stock turbo car I have seen. There are many more differences with this car as apposed to shawnas not just what was stated.

Marks car has shawnas
280 kelfords 272's
race core street core
30ish psi 33 psi
lower ic pipe stock ic pipe
ported 9 turbo not ported 8 turbo
DI intake stock

And I am sure there is even more. Just cant remember off the top of my head.

Also, not saying that it cant make more torque down low as I am sure it can but I don't think it will matter for what we are doing with the car.

Last edited by EmeryatSTM; Jun 2, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Its kinda funny that the graph looks like this but even before we started I told mark this is what its gonna do. The car is set up a LOT different then any other stock turbo car I have seen. There are many more differences with this car as apposed to shawnas not just what was stated.

Marks car has shawnas
280 kelfords 272's
race core street core
30ish psi 33 psi
lower ic pipe stock ic pipe
ported 9 turbo not ported 8 turbo
DI intake stock

And I am sure there is even more. Just cant remember off the top of my head.

Also, not saying that it cant make more torque down low as I am sure it can but I don't think it will matter for what we are doing with the car.
Ahhhh... Makes sense!!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice numbers! I'm glad you finally got it running
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Emery, that is a good explanation. This car is going to launch at 6500 rpm or higher, and stay up there, so I won't ever need to worry about that low rpm tq.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Run it and post times. I'm excited to see what it will do. I think my car only has 350 at redline. So this thing should really scoot.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Nice #'s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno tuned the IX tonight, 393/340 - "Lana"