Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.
View Poll Results: Should all Horspower Records be set or backed up MANDATORY on Dynojet Dyno??
YES
77.08%
NO
22.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Dyno Records.. We need 1 Standard of Measurement!!! Vote Now..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E-Spec@Tach Motor Works
Agreed Mike... Uncorrected, STD or SAE??
Id say STD is the Standard of measurement.. AMS has always used this from what i see, We always have as well.. Seems STD is safest because it does allow some correction for those of us in 110 dyno temps vs some in NW 10 degree.. The dynojet will add and subtract HP accordingly via weather station..

Tiny manipulations are unavoidable.. if a HP record is broken by 20hp on 800hp car nothing much anyone can do.. Every dyno varies a little anyway.. however this keeps the Dishonest guys away that make claims such as 430whp on pump stock 8 turbo.. you wont make that on any dynojet in the country..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely understand, definitely not tryin to make it shop vs shop at all just trying to play devils advocate a bit and give an example. How would you establish this standard without alienating some?

Driving long distances to get on a dynojet just might not be an option for some. Not to mention kinda unfair...
But I guess if a HP record is what you're gunning for and put 100s of dollars and hours into you car, if ya had to drive a few states to get to a dynojet, ya probly would.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

AMS now uses a Mustang, why? Beats me. What brand dyno do you think AWD owns?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nauticabri
I completely understand, definitely not tryin to make it shop vs shop at all just trying to play devils advocate a bit and give an example. How would you establish this standard without alienating some?

Driving long distances to get on a dynojet just might not be an option for some. Not to mention kinda unfair...
But I guess if a HP record is what you're gunning for and put 100s of dollars and hours into you car, if ya had to drive a few states to get to a dynojet, ya probly would.
I think it only benefits the honest people.. Would be a shame to be the record holder who spent a lot of $$ to achieve a goal and then someone who can type in the HP they want take it.. lets be honest all the records are unofficial but it nice though to have a standard in place to keep some owners from doing dishonest dynoing.. It also helps selecting parts for your build much more reliable.. Would be a shame to see 800hp on 58mm turbo only to find out the supposed 800hp had +15% correction added..
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
AMS now uses a Mustang, why? Beats me. What brand dyno do you think AWD owns?
If they are using a mustang its for the load bearing features of course.. makes tuning much easier. in certain applications. We own Dynojet, just like AMS, Iveytune, Titan Motorsports and many others.

Im not saying the MD isnt an awesome dyno.. If i could trade my dyno straight up for MD i would.. because on my setup i cant dyno porsche, bentley, Lambo, etc.. without buying a 12k addon belt and still wont have eddy current.. so if i could go back i woulda bought an MD..

lets keep it on topic.. YES or NO.. Not which shop uses what and why.. thats not the point of the thread.. Thanks!!

Mike
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dyno Jet hands down. And for correction factor i vote "STD correction factor" as used with most all turbo cars i have seen and is what i myself use.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
If they are using a mustang its for the load bearing features of course.. makes tuning much easier. in certain applications. We own Dynojet, just like AMS, Iveytune, Titan Motorsports and many others.

Im not saying the MD isnt an awesome dyno.. If i could trade my dyno straight up for MD i would.. because on my setup i cant dyno porsche, bentley, Lambo, etc.. without buying a 12k addon belt and still wont have eddy current.. so if i could go back i woulda bought an MD..

lets keep it on topic.. YES or NO.. Not which shop uses what and why.. thats not the point of the thread.. Thanks!!

Mike
AMS no longer owns a DJ fyi mike.

I voted only because I agree to have a standard for those who claim records although I could give a rats *** about dyno records.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
AMS no longer owns a DJ fyi mike.

I voted only because I agree to have a standard for those who claim records although I could give a rats *** about dyno records.
FYI they have both and plan to use both. They bought the MD so they could fit other cars on it that wouldn't fit on there DJ.

NOW back on topic.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I am not fingering any shops at all so this shouldnt be a flame war at all.. Thanks!!

Mike
That is bull **** and you know it.

You have a hard on for TTP and their down fall like I want Megan Fox in my bed.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If this conversation gets out of control it will be closed.

Not that there is much to converse about. No one has the ability to control or regulate this so the discussion is moot. If the industry was willing to be honest they would do a couple things 1) never use dyno numbers for anything since they are pretty much an arbitrary number and 2) they would be honest with what tools they have today.

A Dyno is just a tool for tuning and displaying the range of power output - torque/hp curve, not a number.

Last edited by MR Turco; Aug 1, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I voted "no". First off I don't care about dyno records to be dead honest, we got caught up in that ONE time and took our black car to Switzers, this was early on and it made 903 which at the time tied us with AMS's 903. It was a waste of time and we never hauled a car there again to set a record with.

Records are for the track and to be honest Mike, you should ignore all these other guys with high numbers because as your signature shows, you know how to put the power to the ground and set records on the track where they belong.

As you said, our black car set and STILL holds the highest MPH for an EVO8 at 172.74 mph, the car here dyno'd like 890 whp...........I think I've seen EVO's making 1100+whp and they can't trap that high, so how much power were WE making? I don't care, I just like having the same record for 4 years!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who gives a **** about dyno numbers anyway, seriously? A dyno is a relative tuning tool to compare one run to the last.

If you want some way to compare one car to the next in different locations and/or at different times just run it at the track. Plain and simple. If you want to take the driver ability out of the equation, just use car+driver weight and trap speed.

But of course, that's just my opinion and I know that so many people here just love dyno numbers.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this is why I do not post or speak of my dyno numbers. Everyone wants to play a numbers game. O he made 500 HP and I made 505. He ran 11.4 and ill ( notice I'll ) run 11.3

Man stfu. And get your *** to a track and show what numbers you can make there.

Im with you Mike. Dynojet as a standard. But track times as a MUST. You guys prove track numbers all week long over and over and over.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the ET/mph basis for representing horsepower can be skewed as shown by STM. All of their cars weigh 25xx pounds or less. Hard to compare ET/MPH of two engines when one vehicle weighs 500 pounds less. Every shop does their best IMO to lighten their Evo's to make their car seem "fast for the modifications."

Only person I know that drag races a full weight Evo is Lucas English. His car weighs 3100+ Its an SSL with a baby seat.

Sorry to go OT, but I think you're on the right track for determining how to set HP records for the internet forums lol.

"A dyno is a relative tuning tool to compare one run to the last." They're just trying to use a dyno as a relative measure of horsepower to compare one car to the next....

Last edited by R/TErnie; Aug 1, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

We use Mustang dynomometers for EPA and CARB powermap calibrations, there are no dynojet dynamometers used in the industry that I have even seen. Regardless, in the auto performance industry, I consider Dynojet to be the standard since it made to produce a number, not so much a tuning tool compared to the other systems..I would say use dynojet as the standard all the way unless all of the calibration data and dyno parameters are proven down to the second, but a trained eye can spot when something is fishy.. I bite my tounge on this forum everytime I visit the tuning results section, but I am used to seeing high numbers anymore, hell I have not even posted a graph from a customer in ages

Dynojet uses a very different method of calculating HP/tq then mustang, all in all I think it works very well, but the best of both worlds CAN be combined but this is a niche market and it would be very expensive.. Picture eddy current dyno, 5 or 10 different flywheels for inertia, custom software to calculate power by time vs. roller speed as well as load cell from power absorbtion unit.. Truth be told, mustang does make such an animal

It seems when 1 Mustang Dyno / Dyno Dynamics shop leaves another 1 appears each as bad as the last.. I am not naming or referring to anyone in particular..

This has been discussed in the past and unanimously agreed upon that any shop to claim a dyno record that the only fair standard to use is the Dynojet.. A system that is by Fact the industry standard. A system that can only be manipulated by weather station but clearly prints out the correction of the run.. IF on a dynojet you were to see 250 degree dyno room temps in order to get a 15% correction it would be very clear someone put a heat source on the weather station.. or they were dynoing very close to the sun.. LOL

Unfortunately these other systems like MD and DD when in the wrong hands can simply change the vehicle weight or use the CTRL + X system and increase HP.. This makes competing with supposed records holders IMPOSSIBLE.. Unlike 1/4 mile tracks where there is a Standard of 1320ft that needs to be covered with dynos any operator can enter info into the system to make HP..

Id like to propose a POLL of YES or NO on whether or not a dynojet needs to be used to claim a HP Record along with the correction factor for that run be shown as well..

Lastly, my proposal is simply to help keep the industry HONEST as I dont have anything to gain personally.. My Signature is comprised of Track Times.. NOT HP records.. Lets have a constructive discussion.. I am not fingering any shops at all so this shouldnt be a flame war at all.. Thanks!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Dyno Records.. We need 1 Standard of Measurement!!! Vote Now..