Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

STM's 4g63girl Evo build.

Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the rods & pistons available seprately for purchace yet?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

I know a lot of thought went into this by both Dave and also Emery in wanting to try this new set-up. If all goes as planned and thought with this motor i can promise i will be running this one also when the time comes. This is just another great idea by Dave to do this.

Shawna your car is just amazing, i need a ride when i get back cuz even with the stock turbo in it when i rode in it, it was a fun ride so i cant wait to feel this one. Also email me some pics of my car, im going thru withdrawl. lol.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job Dave. I'm sure Shawna and Emery are stoked

- 4.11 FD changes the OAGR and the loading of the engine... making it spool faster.
- Setting the Boost target higher keeps the gate valve closed longer... making the turbo spool faster.
- Looks like the new engine has higher compression/ the run was started sooner than the original dyno.

So I'm JUST SAYING... that the increase in response is not solely from R/S ratio change or the long rod combo. None the less... the car looks like a riot and it would appear that Dave put together a nice engine combo. I just wouldn't want the newbies (as Dave called them) make gross assumptions about improvements that have a small contribution to the overall change.

I love you Dave. (no homo)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Theory...........I've dyno'd, back to back, stock gears to 4.11's. I've dyno'd back to back 3.73 gears to 4.11's. I own the same dyno as Emery. I expected to see the same things you are pointing out with the gear changes, I was shocked to not see them.

The higher boost target will help but not below where the wastegate tries to open and the gate was not trying to open under 4500 rpm, I'd put money on that.

The dyno test, according to the graph appears to have been started at 3500 on both pulls. The LR engine is also higher the entire graph. Emery can verify if the pulls were started at the same time or not but it sure appears as though they were.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dave I think it would be similar to dyno in 4th versus 3rd gear. On DJ's i know it makes a difference. I've also done it. It would be very intersting if the Mustang will read the same (power curve) in 2nd gear as 5th gear.

Maybe Eric (forgot login name) that's a customer of yours that used to work for MD could comment. Interesting

Nice work Dave. What was the change in compression ratio? if you're willing to share.

Thanks for the data and info guys. I speak for everyone when I say I appreciate your contributions!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think a standard block LR 2.1L would be the ultimate! I made a std rod 4g63 10:1 2.1L a long time ago and it was my favorite bottom end ever. I think with the LR it would have been ever better. Just do an 87mm bore on a 63 block and do some flat top stroker pistons. I ordered mine custom from Ross in 2001. Now that is a sweet combo.

Also Dave, I whole heartedly agree that the timing #'s a motor can run are pointless. Who cares if you run 30* to make peak power or 5*. Do what makes the most power the safest and you are good to go.

Good Job!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hmm, i was always curious if the 4.11 final drive was worth it.... guess not
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

The dyno will read higher HP in 4th gear than in 3rd gear. In 5th gear however the car dies and will not make good power, the gear is overdriven too much I'd guess. Nick Andy's car went from the 3.73 to the 4.11's, his car makes tremendous power on our dyno, one of the best cars we've built ever for a dyno graph actually. The car would, however, not ET good so we dropped the final drive he had down to the 4.11's. I completely expected the power to drop, because of how the Mustang Dyno works in a 3rd to 4th gear comparison, and it did not. It was nearly identical the entire graph.

Making a 2.1 from a 4g63 by making the bore that size is a death sentence for the engine....
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We should be hitting the track with this tomorrow. The goals are a 9.99 or faster as a full street car. Nothing Extra will be taken out of the car, It will remain a full weight 04 SSL with a TV.

Minus the spare of course.

-Em
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Making a 2.1 from a 4g63 by making the bore that size is a death sentence for the engine....
I am curious as to why you say this? Are the cylinder walls too thin on a 63 compared to a 64? I have heard that there were concerns on the 6 bolt 64 blocks but never actually saw any real evidence.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

That was some good reading. Im stoked to see the times. keep up the good work guys. Shawna Your car now has the power to back up the sexy look.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, got a call from JE today, the new special casting is now available.....finally. They are ordered and will knock quite a bit of weight off this already light design. The rpm capability shouldnreally be higher than anyone will even need. I likes dat.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
That was some good reading. Im stoked to see the times. keep up the good work guys. Shawna Your car now has the power to back up the sexy look.
+1

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
BTW, got a call from JE today, the new special casting is now available.....finally. They are ordered and will knock quite a bit of weight off this already light design. The rpm capability shouldnreally be higher than anyone will even need. I likes dat.
So are those pistons cast or forged?

it would be really nice to have a built, and reliable engine that could rev up to 11k, but do u think the stock oil pump could suport the needed oil pres. at that rpm lvl?

The reason why I ask, is because i was reading this thread earlier, and the crowd seemed to think that the stock 4g63 oil pump is the culprit. any comments on this?
Thanks
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-max-rpms.html
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went to the track tonight. So far I am not happy at all with the hoosier drag radials. Anyhow, With a 1.6x 60ft. the car still went 10.0@142. Not sure if the track was just junk tonight or the tires suck. Guess I will have to rent the track to get some more practice. Maybe I will bring a set of M/T motorcycle slicks and do back to back tests with them.

-Em
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a 9, but close

It's going to be hard to hit the track again without a cage.

-Shawna

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STM's 4g63girl Evo build.