Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black- Cosworth M2 - Aquamist HFS-6 (50/50) - 850cc FIC - Stock Block -Long Winded

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Black- Cosworth M2 - Aquamist HFS-6 (50/50) - 850cc FIC - Stock Block -Long Winded

After six month of countless logs and roms, taxtrix cable failures and a blown turbo from inadequate oil choice, hours and hours hours of reading and cursing, I'm happy with my tune. The car makes as much peak hp now with about 4psi less than it did on the FP Red when it was tuned by a professional tuner, albeit with about 30 less tq and a loss of about 300rpm spool. EDIT: AND that was on a physical dynojet!! So not the same dyno.

Numbers: ~500whp/430tq. 33psi. Virtual Dyno, 1.09 Default DynoJet Factor.

Disclaimer:

1. My setup likes boost. For whatever reason, timing makes it knock, boost does not. Also, I'm 95% sure my knock sensor is overly sensitive Sitting in neutral, the car will register a few counts of knock just by revving it. After months of trying to tune out sub 30%-throttle knock, it just isn't going to happen... Even with that said, I only get between 0 and 1 counts of knock at WOT. Make of that what you will. The car runs smooth as glass and is fast by my standards...

2. I know you and your friend may have made 1,800hp @ 2,500 rpm with 8psi, but guess what, I can't. Be it my tuning or my setup, i just can't make it happen no matter how hard i try. Good for you.... Maybe it's because this was a budget build except for where it counts? Who knows, i don't.

3. The car loves being at 12afr. It makes a lot more power there then it does where I have it now. Why don't i put it there? Because I'm afraid and I daily drive this thing. You think 12afr doesn't' make a lot more power than where I'm at?? Good for you. My particular setup likes it there a lot.

4. I will report back the moment the tracks open with trap speeds. I'm currently on a stock 6 speed and wont be gunning for any ET's until i get something beefier in there. I will turn the boost up a few psi at that point as well. It should land the AFR's right in that sweet spot. It will only be for a pass or two.

5. This pull is 100% legit. 100% flat/smooth ground, and I was VERY stingy with the weight. I still even have the OE jack and spare. I could realistically add another 40lbs if you include the car parts in the trunk and other various things in the back seat lol. Done in third gear with over a 1/2 tank of gas... for what it's worth. Also I have many many graphs like these that look very similar.

FP Black
FP 18psi Wastegate
FP Intake Pipe
Forge RS BOV
Cosworth M2 Cams
Aquamist HFS-6 (50/50)
ETS 3inch FMIC
ETS LICP
TurboTrix UICP
Amsoil Cone Filter
Silicone Hoses Cajun Power T-Bolt Clamp Kit
Mil. Spec 65 MM throttle body
Hallman MBC
PPI Ported Intake Manifold
FIC 850cc Injectors
Ported exhaust manifold
Megan o2 house
Megan Turboback
One stage cooler plugs.

Still open to constructive comments/recommendations.

I plan on playing with the tune more. It's VERY tempting to turn the boost back up to the level old tuner had it with the FP Red, but I'll keep my cool until I get a pass or two in. I will be at Island the month they open. Wish me luck.

ohh, and one other things. Playing with MIVEC DOES help spool. I gained about 300rpm by working it hard over and over. But it DID make my car more prone to knock in some areas so I played it cool here too. I couldn't make any note worthy improvements past about 5000rpms thought. Again, that's just ME with MY SETUP.

Last edited by Carloverx; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

That is some good power man.. that tq is kinda high for my taste on the stocker.

If you dont mind... how much timing were you running at peak load and up top? you can PM ME if you like.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would try and take a tad of timing out at peak torque to keep the motor together and a bit safer... I would try and keep the torque at 400 lbs/ft or below...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
I would try and take a tad of timing out at peak torque to keep the motor together and a bit safer... I would try and keep the torque at 400 lbs/ft or below...
Its gonna be a little it of a task spiking to 33psi... im in the same boat.

ECU controlled boost would make it much more easier.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
edo

nice power man congratulations!! maybe 1 degree less timing and 28 29 psi boost you can run much more safe i dont like this kind of power on a stock block DD but this is my opinion.. this is your car and your choice
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats, this is actually nice power from your set up, so Kudos to you.
But like others have suggested, that a bit much TQ for the stocker, and is pushing it further than I would go on my own car.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

that looks like a great power band. good job!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Here was the dyno pull from with the original tune on the RED with a lot more boost. BUT, i also just remembered this was on a 100cell cat:

As you can see, the car was making much more TQ with the higher PSI. We turned it down for daily driving though. Obviously this wasn't something i wanted to subject the motor to that often. With that said, if i turned the black up to that PSI, i'm confident I'd destroy those numbers and soon after my trans if not motor. lol

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Peak TQ timing is 4*, but it only hits it briefly. Most of the pull goes from 9 down to 5, briefly 4, and then quickly up to about 14*.

Meth is coming on at 40% injector duty cycle (this is earlier than where it was with the red) by anout 15%, and matching them 50%. It's running the two smaller Jets.

Injectors max in the very low 80's That's one perk about meth, small drivable/tunable injectors lol with good hp.

And yeah, i'm considering turning the boost down more. You can't really help yourself when the power is there to use :-/

I'll likely post my current timing map tonight. It's come a long way lol.

Last edited by Carloverx; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
That is some good power man.. that tq is kinda high for my taste on the stocker.

If you dont mind... how much timing were you running at peak load and up top? you can PM ME if you like.

For the correction factor being used, it's not bad. On a uncorrected dynojet, his peak torque would be high 300's. Which should be reliable on the stock motor. From what ive read on this forum, and from experience.

Last edited by bigturboevo80; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you're tuning for spool way to long.. its an hta82 not 86. you should have full boost by around 4200.

if its knocking when reving in neutral you need to adjust the knock sensor.. i bet theres another 50whp+ in the car yet.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigturboevo80
For the correction factor being used, it's not bad. On a uncorrected dynojet, his peak torque would be high 300's. Which should be reliable on the stock motor. From what ive read on this forum, and from experience.
Ill have to keep that in mind. How would you rate the TQ on a Mustang vs Dynojet? They are usually 13% lower(Buschur, STM, etc) If your at 400tq on a Mustang then that means your at 450 on a Dynojet... anyways

Nice work again on the car... That is a nice pek about meth, small injectors and good power
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigturboevo80
ya thats not true at all. id put $500 if he goes to the old dyno, his numbers would be within 1-2%.

Good job though carloverx.. just understand if it was knocking in neutral reving then theres more power in the car.
its hard to tune a car with phantom knock.. if you want help removing the false knock pm me. free of course.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
you're tuning for spool way to long.. its an hta82 not 86. you should have full boost by around 4200.

if its knocking when reving in neutral you need to adjust the knock sensor.. i bet theres another 50whp+ in the car yet.

really? I was quickly judging spool improvements/losses by where TQ passed 400. Now it typically pass it around 4,750. For an FP black, i thought that was pretty good?? It doesn't look like the small stock frame FP turbos are doing much better? And it's even pretty damn close t my Red.

As for 50whp more, would I get this through adjusting the knock sensor and going more aggressive with the timing? (Not that I'm looking for any more HP though ) Like i mentioned, the car likes boost more than timing for some reason. I'm confident i could turn up the boost and easily make more power. I'm actually tempted to just for a dyno sheet lol. thanks for the feedback.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carloverx
really? I was quickly judging spool improvements/losses by where TQ passed 400. Now it typically pass it around 4,750. For an FP black, i thought that was pretty good?? It doesn't look like the small stock frame FP turbos are doing much better? And it's even pretty damn close t my Red.

As for 50whp more, would I get this through adjusting the knock sensor and going more aggressive with the timing? (Not that I'm looking for any more HP though ) Like i mentioned, the car likes boost more than timing for some reason. I'm confident i could turn up the boost and easily make more power. I'm actually tempted to just for a dyno sheet lol. thanks for the feedback.
ill help you sort out the knock sensor if you want.. but ya, if you have a map sensor you can log boost with, you want to stop tuning for spoolup around 10psi.. in your case. if no boost logging ability then just go by load.

best thing in your case is to tune with no meth and find where your cars happy on straight pump, then add the meth and adjust accordingly.. and add your timing uptop to take advantage of the meth.

you should see 33psi by atleast 4400rpm max.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ill help you sort out the knock sensor if you want.. but ya, if you have a map sensor you can log boost with, you want to stop tuning for spoolup around 10psi.. in your case. if no boost logging ability then just go by load.

best thing in your case is to tune with no meth and find where your cars happy on straight pump, then add the meth and adjust accordingly.. and add your timing uptop to take advantage of the meth.

you should see 33psi by atleast 4400rpm max.

Ohh, i see what you're saying. I need to drop my AFR's earlier?

And the only problem with tuning before and after meth, are those little baby injectors I'm running lol I suspect I'd run out of fuel with them before I had a antiquate map to base the meth map off of ?

I'll keep you posted. I'm tied up at work now but I'll certainly shoot you a pm when I get a chance to play with the knock sensor. Then again, I didn't touch it yet b/c i'm not interested in really making more power on the stock block daily driver I'll give it some thought this weekend lol

Quick Reply: FP Black- Cosworth M2 - Aquamist HFS-6 (50/50) - 850cc FIC - Stock Block -Long Winded