Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by staatz
I'm not sure how well the .82 5bolt housing is going to work...I've heard some bad reviews on it. I have the ams kit with fs635 and was still able ot make 750whp on a dynojet on the .63ar housing. Spools wicked on the street and my car barely sees the drag strip since it's so far.
Can you point me to those reviews please? I'd like to have that info in hand before I decide to install it and such. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Here are a few pictures of the bearing housing from the Garrett cartridge. Brian said when he got in there one of the pieces that hold the bearings in place was gone, it's made of nylon and it's probably in the oil pan but it's big enough it won't get sucked up into the pick-up, phew. When I got the bearing housing in hand it basically fell apart but Brian did say all 8 bearings were in there so no worries about metal bouncing around

Anyway, turbo is back in my hands waiting on the new .82AR hotside.
Attached Thumbnails HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85-imag0065.jpg   HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85-imag0066.jpg  
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thats interesting looking. did you find the piece in the oil pan yet? that is scary..
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

well there's no guarantee it's in there at all unfortunately, no telling where it could be but it wasn't in the turbo. I'm actually going to see if it's big enough to fit through the oil return from the turbo to the pan because I don't think that piece is big enough to let it slip through. That being the case...I don't know where it could be *sigh*

Just waiting on the .82AR which should arrive shortly...then we're back to tuning

Last edited by 05blue8; Jan 31, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for the updates on the tune... good to hear your just about done getting it sorted out.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

We're still tuning, after we got the new hotside on it blew off the lower pipe which grounded out the starter and caused a few electrical issues which I have sorted out. I also had to install the new ETS 4' IC and am having a new lower pipe welded up tomorrow. Should have updates soon with the new hotside and FMIC. As it stood the IC was getting heatsoaked pretty bad so once the new lower is fabbed up we'll have some new graphs to post
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

good luck with it man i hope to see some good numbers from your car.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
We're still tuning, after we got the new hotside on it blew off the lower pipe which grounded out the starter and caused a few electrical issues which I have sorted out. I also had to install the new ETS 4' IC and am having a new lower pipe welded up tomorrow. Should have updates soon with the new hotside and FMIC. As it stood the IC was getting heatsoaked pretty bad so once the new lower is fabbed up we'll have some new graphs to post
Blowing off the LICP and grounding out... Man that has to suck.

In for results.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 02:51 PM

great numbers. liked to see 93oct numbers since e85 isnt around my area
Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the lower that got trashed, popped off, hit the starter shield, smacked it into the starter and got destroyed. The new one was welded up and is in place so did a new boost leak test and my lower fic 2150 seal is leaking on one injector at only 4PSI so I had to order another set *sigh* 3-4 more days
Attached Thumbnails HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85-imag0033small.jpg   HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85-imag0034small.jpg  

Last edited by 05blue8; Mar 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

That is pretty bad man. Looks like it got melted or overheated a little as well.

How much shipped? hahaha

How long have you had your injector seals in?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
That spool up in insane, fastest spooling HTA86 I've seen on a 2 liter, really doesn't even make sense it's so good. What gear were the runs in, 4th?

Also the STM cams are not going to be like ours, the STM650 (272) cam is not the same as the BF272, they have more top end power than our cams do.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
That spool up in insane, fastest spooling HTA86 I've seen on a 2 liter, really doesn't even make sense it's so good. What gear were the runs in, 4th?

Also the STM cams are not going to be like ours, the STM650 (272) cam is not the same as the BF272, they have more top end power than our cams do.
3rd gear. but on the road also. so the STM cams are gonna make it even laggier then the BF272? i dont want him making his setup to laggy. that takes all the fun out of everything.

also that was with some random ebay mbc, which when we put a hallman on the car it actually lost spoolup. i wonder sometimes about the hallman. (unless it was from a in the process occurring boost leak)

this particular car first had a GM 3 port on it, but the boost was so up and down we decided to just get rid of it and use manual. the Texas weather is very odd, one minute its 30F 2hrs later its 60F.

also keep in mind that was only a .63 AR, it is a AMS turbo converted to HTA. I didnt get to do much with it with the bigger hotside yet, because after a few pulls his lower pipe ate the ground.

But also.. switching your old school deluxe FMIC for the bigger 4" ets didnt yield nothing either, so that was probably an unnecessary mod also.

here is boost curve with smaller housing vs bigger with zero tuning and just swapping only.

Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks strong.

sucks about the turbo.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

It's all back together and we're on to tuning. Tom has alot of info to post up re: the hotsides and where we're at. I'll let him chime in but keep in mind he's doing ALOT of this on his own time. He's a great guy and tuner, knowledgeable, fun to deal with, and is very patient.

The pipe hadn't melted actually...that's how it looked when I pulled it off the 180 degree IC coupler, it managed to twist itself 180 degrees in the coupler with a t-bolt on it and bounced off the ground at about 70 dangling so it hit a few times, oops.

Dave did your old deluxe IC's (the one with the inlet prewelded at 180 degrees) use a garrett core? Just curious to see if it was really a good IC since I can't believe this 4' ETS has yielded no benefits over that old style IC especially with the revisions ETS made.

Anyway, it's all together. We're done alot of runs, played with timing etc, none of what is going on makes much sense. We've tested timing up to 18 degrees up top at 37PSI peak and it doesn't knock, but makes no more power than 15-16 degrees. When the boost was turned up to 41 we started seeing some bigger increases, saw no knock, and hit a load of 495 so maybe something isn't keeping up. I'm sure part of it is the stock unported head (not valvetrail, just sizing). I'm about to put in the STM650's if this latest map or two yield no good results. I'll have results on those soon on my car vs Kelford 272's, I put down 657 on the Kelfords and .63 hotside HTA86. I swapped hotsides to the .82 but the car isn't waking up so could be the cams holding it back. They'll be going on very soon and then I'll be going back to the .63 to test that out with the cams also and the ETS IC. Also the guy I sold my old IC to I'm doing a turbo swap for so I'll even be able to go back to that IC to test that out again while his car is down waiting on an upgrade from FP.

Thank Tom at VR-Speed, he's a great tuner and is doing alot of this work on his own time to help out the community. He is keeping up with all the data i.e. spool slowing with hotside, hotside/cams, and no hotside swap/just cams, also the power each yielded

This summer the head is getting reworked. I know it seems like a partial waste right now, yes I'm aware, a Magnus V5, huge turbo, blah blah, stock ported head. I had the bottom end built with the stock turbo because I wanted to push 500, if I had dreamed I'd want 700 I would have just done the head then when it was all apart paying labor once *sigh* Let this be a lesson to us all

Quick Reply: HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85