Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black Ball Bearing tested - documentary results inside.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
but ya guys, theres no clipping.. its the standard turbine wheel fp offers. the turbine housing is not ported either. i might put the stiffer hallman spring in then lower the boost to 35psi.. not sure yet. i will run multiple tests tho and report back..

today is going to be another 95F day though, its already 80 at 10am.

any questions, suggestions, things you want me to do and log let me know.. i will do it. thats why i made this thread.. to show feedback of this unit for the community.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
but ya guys, theres no clipping.. its the standard turbine wheel fp offers. the turbine housing is not ported either. i might put the stiffer hallman spring in then lower the boost to 35psi.. not sure yet. i will run multiple tests tho and report back..

today is going to be another 95F day though, its already 80 at 10am.

any questions, suggestions, things you want me to do and log let me know.. i will do it. thats why i made this thread.. to show feedback of this unit for the community.
AWESOME results..... I'm very impressed. I didn't read through the thread, so excuse me if I asked the same question.... but how much was it to convert? I saw the price for the entire turbo in the other thread, but couldn't find an upgrade price.

Last edited by Jonesey I7; Jul 29, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

This may be a stupid question - but if you're spending all this $$ on a ball bearing conversion, why are you using an MBC? Changing out to an ECU based control could easily gain you a little bit quicker spool and you can iron out the boost spike, or try to keep it holding boost better up top.

Dave
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Where are you seeing full boost by 3650 rpm? From the graphs I'm looking at, I see full boost by ~4300 rpm.

Last edited by Paintballguy; Jul 29, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
This may be a stupid question - but if you're spending all this $$ on a ball bearing conversion, why are you using an MBC? Changing out to an ECU based control could easily gain you a little bit quicker spool and you can iron out the boost spike, or try to keep it holding boost better up top.

Dave
MBC will spool faster. Also MBCs can hold boost as well as a 3port.

Sry for the off topic.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the way you set up your boost control when using the 3 port.
You have the option on keeping the 3 port at 100% duty cycle below a certain load (or boost)
Using Tephra mods. Ie: wgdc = 100 below 24 psi. This way it will spool faster!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by darwin_evo
It depends on the way you set up your boost control when using the 3 port.
You have the option on keeping the 3 port at 100% duty cycle below a certain load (or boost)
Using Tephra mods. Ie: wgdc = 100 below 24 psi. This way it will spool faster!
keep this debate out of this thread.. both me and Jay have done direct testing with 3port and mbc and 3 port did not win as far as spool up and low end response goes.

you are entitled to believe in what you want, im not trying to tell you to do anything. I tune cars with 3 ports all the time.. as does Jay.. i like them both.. i just prefer a mbc on my personal car.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
Where are you seeing full boost by 3650 rpm? From the graphs I'm looking at, I see full boost by ~4300 rpm.
its not posted in here.. its just from data logs ive acquired so far.. on the journal bearing i was able to see 33psi by 3800rpm and on the ball bearing i seen it around 3650-3700 so far in some logs when starting the pull low rpm.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Congratulations on your results Tom. Have you ever tested the Turbo XS HPMBC? I ask beacuse I have been running the Hallman Pro RX with my stock turbo for the last year and I also love it, I ordered the new harder spring for it as well. Anyway, since stuff takes long to reach Peru, I decided to install a TX HPMBC I had laying around from my GC8 Sti (slowwwly being repaired).

I think from my initial testing the HPMBC could actualy work better than the Hallman pro with original stiff spring, I can get higher peak boost and it is holding maybe 0.5 psi better up top as well when set to a similar peak boost. I must admit I didn´t understand well how to set the HPMBC up when I bought it a couple years ago, but now I´m finding the bleed valve coupled with the ball spring valve are giving me better adjustability and higher boost capability than my maxed out Hallman.

Good luck!

Ricardo
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that is the ugliest wga i ever seen! lol.
That's for sure. It has barnacles even.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

that is the ugliest wga i ever seen! lol.
Originally Posted by sparky
That's for sure. It has barnacles even.
That's what it looks like after 90k miles, a few rallies and 5 winters with no underpanel.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:31 PM

clean engine bay I like how you cannot see the turbo.

stealthy
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

The new ones are clipped TScomp...here was my new black..

Name:  b49ae93c.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.1 KB

Here is what my new red looked like:

Name:  photo7.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  75.2 KB

It's tough to see but you can tell the newer ones, the exhaust wheels are clipped. It doesn't hurt them at all though, its a good thing, just so the flimsy part of the blades don't overheat and bend/warp/break and cause problems.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor

went to the interstate last night with smooth and flat roads. focused only on the area in green for now .. but you can see i got somewhere. i believe theres even more tq to open downlow with afr tweaks. this time around was timing tweaks only

Im on the fence about just taking it to a dyno, because i would beable to extract every last HP/TQ in like 30min to an hr on a real dyno. now just to polish the low end afr.

timing is SUPER low past 5k.. this is just a base map i decided to load and slowly extract all HP so i can confirm everythings MBT.

temps were 81F at 2am.

=========================================

heres todays pulls with a few more tweaks (91F right now).. ( AFR TWEAKS) ( KEEP IN MIND THE TIMING IS FLAT RIGHT NOW IN THESE PULLS.. I was only focusing on maximizing spool low end tq region. )

All I gotta say is.. when this thing hits it ****ing hits.. it yanks you into the seat.. the power comes on so hard you feel like you got pushed hard and the car takes off.. the car feels very good.. the power is extremely aggressive when it comes on.. this combination is insane..

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jul 30, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

i wouldnt worry about the dyno, soon enough the temps outside will change

Quick Reply: FP Black Ball Bearing tested - documentary results inside.