Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

680whp~ Evo 8 Stock Block Stock ECU SD 6266@39psi E85 | 146mph traps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Scott are you running a launching brake?
Nope, no staging brakes here.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I would look into that as well. Keeps that preload on the drivetrain, and should give you better 60fts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I would look into that as well. Keeps that preload on the drivetrain, and should give you better 60fts
I was going to give it a shot with my e-brake some day lol
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
I was going to give it a shot with my e-brake some day lol
Ebrake really isn't the same being the car will still roll and or jump at the line. I know my buddy Shane tried that at the shoot out a few years ago in the dsa and got elimitated because of it. I think if you look into it enough you will have much better times being the car has little to no shock in the drivetrain and should almost grab instantly being there is no tqing off the line being it is already there at the wheels.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You ever getting locked out of 2nd Scott?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ebrake really isn't the same being the car will still roll and or jump at the line. I know my buddy Shane tried that at the shoot out a few years ago in the dsa and got elimitated because of it. I think if you look into it enough you will have much better times being the car has little to no shock in the drivetrain and should almost grab instantly being there is no tqing off the line being it is already there at the wheels.
I'll have to look into it.

Originally Posted by marcusE
You ever getting locked out of 2nd Scott?
Nope, ive never been locked out of any gears before.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, thank you for the response to my post about the necessary parts for the build. A custom downpipe, T3 manifold, and T3 hotside should be easy to find. Now, what do you mean by hotside "kit"? I am assuming that you are talking about the BEP 0.70a/r, right?

Your car is a great example of a build that does not destroy the wallet. Great quality of parts. Great economical build. There are still some parts that I saw that were not on your parts list but I am sure that you are fully aware of the places to be addressed if it should come to that. I enjoyed the video and with the stock EVO wheels, the car does not look like it is making crazy power that people would not expect. Awesome. As you, and many others have already stated, the tune is the critical part for any build and it is nice that Tom took the time and attention to detail to get you squared away.

I believe the HX-40 might be a bit too much for me but the HX-35 sounds about right and I am juggling some ideas here in Afghanistan that my wife might kill me for. I know in teh DSM scene, the HX-35 can be ran on either a stock DSM manifold or a T3. I assume that this applies for the EVO, right? Where did you purchase your turbo from?

I am in the camp of 91-octane when I am home in southern Arizona and E85 pumps outside of Tucson are pretty spread a part. I have been thinking about meth and I wonder if it would have a similiar cooling effect as E85. Speaking of E85, are you using an E85 content analyzer to compensate for the changes of fuel through the seasons?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
First off, thank you for the response to my post about the necessary parts for the build. A custom downpipe, T3 manifold, and T3 hotside should be easy to find. Now, what do you mean by hotside "kit"? I am assuming that you are talking about the BEP 0.70a/r, right?

Your car is a great example of a build that does not destroy the wallet. Great quality of parts. Great economical build. There are still some parts that I saw that were not on your parts list but I am sure that you are fully aware of the places to be addressed if it should come to that. I enjoyed the video and with the stock EVO wheels, the car does not look like it is making crazy power that people would not expect. Awesome. As you, and many others have already stated, the tune is the critical part for any build and it is nice that Tom took the time and attention to detail to get you squared away.

I believe the HX-40 might be a bit too much for me but the HX-35 sounds about right and I am juggling some ideas here in Afghanistan that my wife might kill me for. I know in teh DSM scene, the HX-35 can be ran on either a stock DSM manifold or a T3. I assume that this applies for the EVO, right? Where did you purchase your turbo from?

I am in the camp of 91-octane when I am home in southern Arizona and E85 pumps outside of Tucson are pretty spread a part. I have been thinking about meth and I wonder if it would have a similiar cooling effect as E85. Speaking of E85, are you using an E85 content analyzer to compensate for the changes of fuel through the seasons?
You're welcome. What I meant by hot side kit, was actually just all the hot side parts (manifold, down pipe, exhaust housing).

Thanks for the kind words. Car is definitely very budgeted however this year I've added a few more expensive parts as you saw in the first post but will definitely help us achieve our goal.

The HX-35 is also a great turbo. I used to have one on my car before upgrading to the HX40. The bolt on BEP .55 a/r housing for DSM's will not actually work for an EVO unless you find the old school exhaust manifold that I believe buschur racing sells/or used to sell that allows you bolt on a DSM flanged turbo. I'm pretty sure they included this manifold in a older GT35 kit. Even then though, you would have to fab your own o2 housing/downpipe because it will have the dsm o2 housing style flange on the outlet of the exhaust housing.

Last year when I ran E85, I did not need to make any adjustments. The car was tuned in early spring when it was 45* out and the ethanol content was E76. By mid summer it was E84 and nothing changed. The warmer it gets, the richer your car runs but at the same time, the ethanol content goes up so it usually evens out.

Last edited by badev0; Jan 24, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I wounder when he will pop a rod :P
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fastone_evo6
It will most likely be built before that happens with Manley Turbo Tuff's and Wiseco 10.5:1's.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
You're welcome. What I meant by hot side kit, was actually just all the hot side parts (manifold, down pipe, exhaust housing).

Thanks for the kind words. Car is definitely very budgeted however this year I've added a few more expensive parts as you saw in the first post but will definitely help us achieve our goal.

The HX-35 is also a great turbo. I used to have one on my car before upgrading to the HX40. The bolt on BEP .55 a/r housing for DSM's will not actually work for an EVO unless you find the old school exhaust manifold that I believe buschur racing sells/or used to sell that allows you bolt on a DSM flanged turbo. I'm pretty sure they included this manifold in a older GT35 kit. Even then though, you would have to fab your own o2 housing/downpipe because it will have the dsm o2 housing style flange on the outlet of the exhaust housing.

Last year when I ran E85, I did not need to make any adjustments. The car was tuned in early spring when it was 45* out and the ethanol content was E76. By mid summer it was E84 and nothing changed. The warmer it gets, the richer your car runs but at the same time, the ethanol content goes up so it usually evens out.
OK. Good. I am really trying to eliminate the most fabrication from the equation. I believe TurboXS offers a T3 manifold and downpipe option, right? And with the T3 0.7a/r, I should be good to go, right?

I know for the DSM, the Holset turbos carried a oiling concern, what have you done in that department?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 PM

lookin GOOD ^^
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 2g dsm with an HX40 in the smaller bolt-on housing and had fun with it for awhile, you're making me want to put one on my evo!

Any leads or ideas where I could buy the housing you're using?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome results Scott! That car runs really good for what you've done to it. I know how stingey Speed Industries dyno is, so making the power you did on that dyno is a really good accomplishment.

BTW, did Tom come in to town to tune for you or was it done remotely?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastone_evo6
that's not going to happen with this car. it has a really good owner that knows how to drive, and it is a low mileage engine with no history of prior abusive tuners as far as i know.

Originally Posted by way2qik
Awesome results Scott! That car runs really good for what you've done to it. I know how stingey Speed Industries dyno is, so making the power you did on that dyno is a really good accomplishment.

BTW, did Tom come in to town to tune for you or was it done remotely?
remote dyno tuned it.. i can tune cars remote as good as i can do it in person. i even tune my own personal evo like i tune remote customers.. i do logs, take them home and review make adjustments and go back out.. its the same ordeal.

in person i can speed the process of course, but the more cars i do the quicker i get. this car should be very interesting this time around at the track.

yes that dyno reads super low.. that and dyno room conditions were no good. rain + humid and 60F+ dyno room.. next day 20-30F and no humidity.. complete opposite and it did impact the tune a bit.

Quick Reply: 680whp~ Evo 8 Stock Block Stock ECU SD 6266@39psi E85 | 146mph traps