Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stock block/head/turbo 8- 440/439@32 psi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
email the log already!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as the housings looking stock on the turbo...When FP first released the O.S. Green it was configured with the VIII comp housing. But almost immediately, they discontinued building it in that guise and from then on only built it with the IX housing. I recall, that at first you could send in your VIII turbo and have it converted by FP into a Green.

Maybe I am the only one who remembers this tidbit of information. Or, maybe I am wrong as back then my brain cells were always swimming in brew. At any rate I think that there are a few Greens out there that look like stock VIII 16G's externally.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok sorry for the delay everyone! I work strange hours (2pm to 2 am) and have a 45 min drive each way. I am sending the log to Tscomp as I write this. As I said earlier, it is not my intention to decieve anyone... I had just installed the new o2 housing and fixed a large boost leak, went out and did a few drivability logs, and then a WOT log in 3rd gear. I was as shocked as many of you when I looked at the laptop and saw these numbers. Hopefully Tom comes back with the same results, if not, then I would like to understand what I did wrong as to not make the same mistake again. Cheers everyone!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
dont know what the big fuss is about. evo 8 turbo has a smaller compressor cover than evo9 turbo. this always results in more low end torque.

have done back to backs with other turbos years ago. small compressor covers create more torque then choke a little up top

its just a short 500 rpm torque spike. and he clearly states that in his first post
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:04 AM

Looks like now we are just waiting on Tom
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

ok so theres to much feedback in the actual log file.. so it cant be used as a realistic number at this point and heres why.

this is why smoothing 0 was introduced to virtual dyno for analyzing data and feedback:

the noise level of his log is to high with spikes.. it is going to inflate the number.. ill email him back and ask him to do another run on the interstate where the roads are super flat and make sure its on a level ground and we can try again.

vs what it should be more like on a smoother road:

just the big spikes will inflate the number a bit.. just like i had happen to me on my personal evo and then later found out the hardware road surface matters A LOT.

here is smoothing 1:

those long dips will inflate the number.. its the same style dips i had on my personal evo on country backroads that look smooth but are not..

the other car on smoothing 1:

so im gonna estimate the cars actually gonna produce about 390-400 on a real flat road like an interstate / highway..

im sure the owner will take it out and get us a better log so we can see the cars true power, but here is smoothing 10 with the car for the hell of it:

so in defense of Tamer, the tune looks good timing wise, i cant see the afr but the tune is safe and very close to maximized based on normal evo 8's on stock turbos..

so im gonna estimate the car is making a legit 390WHP.. ill email the owner and give him further instructions. none the less its impressive for HKS 272 cams.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for doing this. Its going to be a while before I can get the car back out to do a pull unfortunately. We are very busy at work and i will most likely be working 7 days a week and 12 hrs a day for a few weeks, but i will not leave you guys hanging. Another couple logs will be done and we will check the results. Stay tuned!!!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo8john
Thank you for doing this. Its going to be a while before I can get the car back out to do a pull unfortunately. We are very busy at work and i will most likely be working 7 days a week and 12 hrs a day for a few weeks, but i will not leave you guys hanging. Another couple logs will be done and we will check the results. Stay tuned!!!
no problem take your time man. im gonna email you back now.. you def do have a beast though.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far I can tell, he made 751hp. That's all that matters.

-Acree
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Funny guy up there...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think cams and some other bolt on upgrades and this thing would be crazy. I can't wait to see the updated logs.

Bryan
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

The only other bolt ons I really could do would be a better intake and exhaust manifold and bigger tb. I dont thi.k any of those would make a whole lot of difference. Cams might help slightly... The turbo is just plain out of breath at this point i think. I just want to get it safe and get solid numbers, maybe some 117+ trap speeds, and move on to my next project.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tom,
How do you get the smoothing to 0? The lowest mine goes is to 1. I'm at 394hp/405tq, but I'd like to see it at 0 to see if mine is an inflated number.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 10isace
Tom,
How do you get the smoothing to 0? The lowest mine goes is to 1. I'm at 394hp/405tq, but I'd like to see it at 0 to see if mine is an inflated number.
you might not have the newest version go to http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/

and then once you upgrade you will have the option for 0 smoothing.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I came from an EVO8 on E85 tuned on 28PSI and when I saw the title, I thought "whoa that is a lot of power" since I was only making 405whp and 400wtq. I see that things are starting to be worked out.

Quick Reply: Stock block/head/turbo 8- 440/439@32 psi