Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 9 Dyno results from IPS Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
how in the world are you guys thinking he should be making over 400whp on 93 octane on a stock 9 turbo. I could careless if he has a built bottom end head work and cams at 24psi (which is what the OP stated) it is NOT going to happen. Just because you have forged internals doesn't magically mean the car is going to make more power. At that boost level on 93 octane taking the "built motor" out of the equation that sounds about right.
I completely understand what you are saying but searching around you find guys who are pulling 400 or more out of there cars with Evo 9 turbo. This is some of the reason why I was questioning the tune and numbers. I've heard of people making that on a stock bottom end which is great. I was just figuring with the engine mods and add ons that it would have shown a little more hp and tq
Old May 16, 2012, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

Is that 400 whp? Stock bottom end? Wow,if this is true then i haven't realised how strong these motors really are.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:36 AM

I'm pushing 440whp (or 420 depending on dyno type) on a stock bottom end and head with only cams. I'm running GT35r (.63 housing) with ETS intercooler, tubular manifold, ETS intercooler/pipes, recirced BOV (turbo xs I think), 3 inch straight through exhaust, 880cc injectors, stock MAF sensor with intake pipe, ARC ignition and a BR tune. I may have missed a few things in there but you get the idea. No motor work is done that I know of or was listed in the receipts from purchasing the car. I did not do any of these mods myself. They were done prior to my purchase. It's a fun car but I am starting to run into reliability issues. Car was also put on IPS dyno and it put down 440whp but they didn't tune. I just got a deal on a few pulls and had them strap it up there. The turbo is definitely what is making the power here and the tune but many of the normal things are starting to wear at only 43k on 2006 Evo IX.

As mentioned previously IPS wants me to go AEM and SD but I'm thinking that once I get the other bugs fixed I'm driving it up to Buschur. Nothing against them as IPS has helped me on some mechanical things but as other posters have mentioned I think their ability is with the AEM system and not the stock Evo ECU so much. Could be wrong though... They are nice to deal with for the most part.

Thanks,
Robert
Old May 16, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that's impressive stuff.I've only had my Evo IX for 4 months now and i'm planning a lot of things still.It's still got stock turbo and bolt-ons and tune.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For pump gas those are great numbers for a stock turbo at such low boost. The turbo is Feinsteilt the limiting factor there.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:54 AM

I'm no tuning expert by any means but I would say the other posters are correct. Stock turbo is likely hurting here. Maybe a Buschur tune might scratch some extra hp out but probably not a ton. Definitely probably not worth another $400 (or whatever the cost would be to reflash) just for maybe 15hp, but hey... it isn't my money! Best of luck though.

I've been there with other cars where you do a bunch of work and put money into a car and the results are not near what you hoped or expected. I've learned over the years that it is just part of the hobby at times.

Robert
Old May 16, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

For pumpgas that's pretty good with the stock turbo, I'd think.

For the over 400 comment:
At one point I managed 441whp with the stock turbo down at AWD in Florida. That was E85, boltons and cams.

Since you mentioned wanting to pickup a red in the future-you can't go wrong with that. I was really happy with a Red on my car.

The stock turbo and straight pumpgas can only go so far, regardless of the other mods.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
how in the world are you guys thinking he should be making over 400whp on 93 octane on a stock 9 turbo. I could careless if he has a built bottom end head work and cams at 24psi (which is what the OP stated) it is NOT going to happen. Just because you have forged internals doesn't magically mean the car is going to make more power. At that boost level on 93 octane taking the "built motor" out of the equation that sounds about right.
Because there are many people donig it without intake manifolds and headwork (they typically run more boost).
As well as many people in the 350's range on MD's without intake manfilds and headwork.. that is the main advantage of his setup compared to the typical evo9 build.... there's no doubt he should be 375-425whp range DJ with that setup unless his motor is unhealthy.... OR because he's running 24psi, with fuel in the mid 10's and conservative timing

That being said, many commented before what boost or fuel we knew he was running... just understanding his mod's... turns out not everyone runs 30psi on the stock turbo

Last edited by GTijoejoe; May 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

He is NOT going to make 400whp on 24 psi. on a stock turbo
Old May 16, 2012, 01:51 PM

When I first got the car it was on 28 psi. But running really rich. When it was tuned by ips I asked them to tune it at the same psi but when I got it was at 24. I asked why they told me that he did not feel good about running it that high for reliability sake. So I was ok with that but now that I have little more knowledge about evos I am now researching about how much a stock turbo can handle. Blips of power are what I am after I don't race or anything like that but do the occasional auto cross so I don t feel like I would be beating the turbo to death. any way like I said earlier I am gonna get a fp red and injectors then a new tune. The reason for this whole thread is just for me to see how reliable ips is with evos and weather I should waste the time going back to them or just go to bushcur. They did treat me really well at ips but it came with a hefty bill. But they did basically start from scratch on the tune. As for the old tune that was on the car. It was from turbo trix and ips did say that the car was down 40 hp with it. Now I do t know if anyone had messed with it between them and me but that's what it was thanks for all the help guys and appreicaite all the comments
Old May 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pavochavo
I'm pushing 440whp (or 420 depending on dyno type) on a stock bottom end and head with only cams. I'm running GT35r (.63 housing) with ETS intercooler, tubular manifold, ETS intercooler/pipes, recirced BOV (turbo xs I think), 3 inch straight through exhaust, 880cc injectors, stock MAF sensor with intake pipe, ARC ignition and a BR tune. I may have missed a few things in there but you get the idea. No motor work is done that I know of or was listed in the receipts from purchasing the car. I did not do any of these mods myself. They were done prior to my purchase. It's a fun car but I am starting to run into reliability issues. Car was also put on IPS dyno and it put down 440whp but they didn't tune. I just got a deal on a few pulls and had them strap it up there. The turbo is definitely what is making the power here and the tune but many of the normal things are starting to wear at only 43k on 2006 Evo IX.

As mentioned previously IPS wants me to go AEM and SD but I'm thinking that once I get the other bugs fixed I'm driving it up to Buschur. Nothing against them as IPS has helped me on some mechanical things but as other posters have mentioned I think their ability is with the AEM system and not the stock Evo ECU so much. Could be wrong though... They are nice to deal with for the most part.

Thanks,
Robert
What is your boost set to then?
Old May 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You DO NOT need new injectors.

He's running pump gas, guys. Those 880ccs will support ~500whp (Dynojet) on 93.

Numbers seem low, especially for head work/Magnus. As others have suggested, you can up the boost quite a bit and still be safe on pump gas as long as your tuner is sufficient.

The oversized valves may be hurting you as well. They're WAY overkill. Your setup is trying to make power when your turbo is scrounging for air. I think the mismatched setup may have something to do with the low numbers.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd agree with you... it would be hard... but here is also a good example, less mods, less fuel, +5psi and more power DJ
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sd-91-oct.html

And as stated, headwork is always a mystery (its not all the same), its hard to say how its playing out with the stock turbo with oversized valves...now that being said, its also been done before with good results
Old May 17, 2012, 03:04 PM

looking to do the same setup
Old May 18, 2012, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I'd agree with you... it would be hard... but here is also a good example, less mods, less fuel, +5psi and more power DJ
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sd-91-oct.html

And as stated, headwork is always a mystery (its not all the same), its hard to say how its playing out with the stock turbo with oversized valves...now that being said, its also been done before with good results
Adding 5 psi is a whole other ballgame. Why do you keep comparing to cars with a lot more boost. My DSM used to pick up 100whp on 5psi boost. The numbers are good for stock turboat that boost.