Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 / Fp Red / 25psi / 98Ron

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 / Fp Red / 25psi / 98Ron

Hey guys, so Im from New Zealand and a few months ago i was asking for help with which turbo i should go with.
I ended up with the Fp Red DBB. The car is now tuned & I'm looking for feedback with the results.
I'm just wanting to know weather the results are satisfactory for the mods considering its running 25psi with 98Ron or weather I should look into a TSCOMP tune to the bring numbers up!

Mods:
Kelford tx272 type L cams (10mm lift only)
Curt Brown stock ported exhaust manifold
Turbo back exhaust
3" Custom intake pipe with K&N filter
2.5" Custom short route intercooler piping
4" Intercooler core
Fp DBB MHI housing turbo
Link G4 plug in ecu
Link map sensor
Speed density
1 step colder NGK plugs

Running 25psi tuned to 98Ron fuel

Below is my Dyno Graph.

blue line @25psi
red line @20psi

Evo 8 / Fp Red / 25psi / 98Ron-10836490_824069897657119_761799638_n.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by nzevo8; Jan 10, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi mate that dyno sheet is blurry as hell lol repost another pic so we can see it properly?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
400hp and 375tq is pretty low for a red on that type of dyno
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:42 AM

yes thats what i was thinking , though its pretty impressive here in NZ and to the tuners here. iv seen much higher results in your side of the world.

sorry for poor dyno sheet i will get a better picture as soon as possible.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 07:12 PM

Evo 8 / Fp Red / 25psi / 98Ron-10934225_843446145719494_429852331_n.jpg
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:05 PM

i was looking at getting a dyno tune from phil. what fuel injectors are you using?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STM in Wellington is very very well regarded. I wish I had them available here in Aus!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:30 AM

Do you have E85 available to you mate?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
There are definitely a few wrong turns taken there with your results, especially on reaching intended boost threshold, it should have been reached around 1000 rpm earlier even on a dyno on cams with so little lift, as I am not aware of the specs of the specific camshafts, merely judging though from the lift all the rest of the design characteristics of the specific camshaft should follow accordingly apart from the effective duration which could indeed be sufficient there. If you want more power and a larger powerband, change cams, get something with more duration and bit more lift 10,5mm-10,8mm should suffice, dial them in for max power, or zero them, see if that suits you as a powerband, or start from there setting combos accordingly, up the boost to 30psi and if your head (uprated springs) can take it stretch the rev limit to 8,5K or to 8K on the above suggested cams if on stock springs. Along with the above make all necessary corrections to the mapping to get the optimum results out of the specific turbo. It definitely has more to give.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jan 13, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 07:18 AM

e85 isn't available in nz on pump. I'm also not sure if my current injectors are compatible, otherwise i would look at dual map with e85.

STM in wellington is not very good at all. previous owner spent excess of 10k at STM. They are not as good as what everybody thinks or says. i would personally never go there.

i dont think iv seen a fp red hit full boost by 3400rpm (1000rpm earlier) on a stock block with similar fuel. iv seen around 500 rpm earlier but i guess there using higher lift and I'm not, so you could be correct.
Im not looking at changing my set up nor cams, i got these cams so i didn't need to dig further into my head and change the springs and retainers, then i may as well do the headstuds and new head gasket. which then i may as well go 2.3.... list goes on had to stop somewhere. il change cams when i get a 2.3 possibly later this year.
I agree with you the results seem pretty poor when you compare against other results from the same turbo, hence why I'm looking at getting it tuned by TSCOMP.
There is no tuner here in New Zealand that will be capable to tune a stock block to run 30psi safely let alone rev to 8500rpm.

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nzevo8
e85 isn't available in nz on pump. I'm also not sure if my current injectors are compatible, otherwise i would look at dual map with e85.

STM in wellington is not very good at all. previous owner spent excess of 10k at STM. They are not as good as what everybody thinks or says. i would personally never go there.

i dont think iv seen a fp red hit full boost by 3400rpm (1000rpm earlier) on a stock block with similar fuel. iv seen around 500 rpm earlier but i guess there using higher lift and I'm not, so you could be correct.
Im not looking at changing my set up nor cams, i got these cams so i didn't need to dig further into my head and change the springs and retainers, then i may as well do the headstuds and new head gasket. which then i may as well go 2.3.... list goes on had to stop somewhere. il change cams when i get a 2.3 possibly later this year.
I agree with you the results seem pretty poor when you compare against other results from the same turbo, hence why I'm looking at getting it tuned by TSCOMP.
There is no tuner here in New Zealand that will be capable to tune a stock block to run 30psi safely let alone rev to 8500rpm.

Thanks

Running different cams and more boost will yeild better results, have no doubts on that mate. Stock head bolts and stock head gasket will also not be an issue at these or max power levels on this setup. In fact the stock head gasket has been tested to nearly a 1000hp without any issue.

You can find a set of used hks 272 or 280 set of cams, pretty cheap on the net, which do not need either uprated springs or retainers and you can rev safely to 8k on them. Process to install them is also pretty easy. But since you are going 2.3L next year it's up to you whether it is worth changing or not.

For reference only, and food for thought, I have run the fp red on my personal setup back in '09, with the hks 272 on stock block, and reached intended boost threshold , 32psi,was at 2800-2900rpm on the road, revving strongly and making power to 8,5K rpm on stock springs. Although I consider this as nothing to be achieved, I find it strange that I encounter distrust when I mention and refer to this on the net with people saying that it is not possible. I am really sorry I do not have a dyno plot to post it up, but I consider dynos tuning tools, and I also find it a bit too much and unnecessary to pay for dynos every time I change setups just to have a piece of paper to show off on a forum, which even that might be doubted having people say a million stupidly made arguements just because they want to reject something they are already convinced otherwise. Been through that and done that to be honest in my early years as a member of forums, it is not worth my while. What is worth my while is sharing with other fellow gearheads my real world exprerience on something, and by that I mean how a setup behaves on the road, and helping out people with their car issues in any way I can. I also much prefer to map on the road than on a dyno. The dyno plot would be showing the turbo on full boost by 3200-3300rpm.

I do not know TSCOMP, neither personally nor in any other way, but from what I read and see on the net he seems to be doing prettty good. I have him as a FB friend, I know his name is Tom, and that he has done the mapping for a guy's stock evo 9 over here on 98 ron, and the guy is pretty happy about the outcome. I do believe you will not go wrong by choosing him to do the mapping for your setup.

What really matters is that your are happy with the car. I was merely trying to give you a recipe of things to do, to improve your powerband and get the best out of your setup as I have already tried it myself with excellent results.

Boost on, and enjoy your evo.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jan 13, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

You must be lugging the car by being able to hit full boost at an rpm lower than I cruise normally. What do you do cruise in 5th at 1500rpm to hit 32psi at 2800? That would be stupid of him to go from a kelford 272 to a hks 272.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
You must be lugging the car by being able to hit full boost at an rpm lower than I cruise normally. What do you do cruise in 5th at 1500rpm to hit 32psi at 2800? That would be stupid of him to go from a kelford 272 to a hks 272.

Obviously you need to read more on camshafts or experiment more on them as you obviously know **** all about how to and what camshafts to choose for each specific application. The hks 272 or 280s, and I would go for the 280s personally if I was doing another fp red setup. The slightly more effective duration the specific kelford 272s have in comparison with the hks 280s is not needed for an fp red, especially on a stock head, the fact though that the lift is limited to 10mm creates a bit of an in balance in my book. A bit more lift and a bit less duration is perfect for the fp red. It is also not only down to these two cam characteristics, but on the whole package the hks 280s offer. I also based my suggestion on his intention to run low lift cams for obvious reasons, and on the fact that he is on stock head. The hks 280s are more than enough for an fp red turbo in the sense of giving stock spool up characteristics but lose little of top end on an fp red in comparison to more aggressive cams, and I am not implying the ones that he already has as he will lose nothing in terms of max power based on his dyno plot but gain low end power instead, thus broadening his powerband. He also does not want to change springs or retainers. Repeating myself to make sure this is clear enough, the hks 280s will give a broader powerband than the ones he is already using on his setup without losing top end power.

Now as far on my setup, since you have not been in the car or even seen it, do not make any sort of moronic assumptions. No lugging, and no crusing needed in high gears as you mean it. The above mentioned value was experienced on 4th from a 2K rpm pull. Anyone who has experienced the stock 9,8 housing turbo , the 71 series stock turbo, the 71hta one or even the hks 7460r, and a properly done setup to aid spool knows what I am talking about. The car is instatly on boost the moment you put your foot down. I consider the fp red on MHI housings the same as the hks 7460r in spool, but with much better top end power and much more "full" powerband.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jan 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

You are an idiot Marios, plain and simple.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by nzevo8

Thanks
Sorry to hear your opinion of STM. I personally achieved fantastic results with them. I have many friends who have had fantastic results with them so I was surprised to hear your opinion. I never lived in Wellington, but e85 is available at certain Gull outlets in NZ... whether or not it's available in Wellington I'm not sure.
The following users liked this post:
boybadluck (Jun 11, 2016)

Quick Reply: Evo 8 / Fp Red / 25psi / 98Ron