Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF2.5 Evo 8 E85 Results & Data

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't mention what you were using for injectors? What will your fuel setup look like?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phizzalot
You didn't mention what you were using for injectors? What will your fuel setup look like?
Oops, thanks for reminding me.

I am using Bosch EV14 1200cc high impedance injectors with a Walbro 255. I'll probably mod the Walbro in case it starts running out of fuel past 460-480 whp...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cant wait to see your results vs mine buddy!! Should be good

Also to getinsideways - On my EF3 @ 26psi on a baby tune, I made 475whp on MAP's dynojet, stock 2.0 rest of mods in sig. Id sure think with more timing and more boost it would've made 525 no problem. Now with that said, the EF2.5 should be able to produce that 500 #. With a much better powerband IMO
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by DisgustipatedM3
Oops, thanks for reminding me.

I am using Bosch EV14 1200cc high impedance injectors with a Walbro 255. I'll probably mod the Walbro in case it starts running out of fuel past 460-480 whp...
EV1200?? Are you sure? If yes, where did you get those? Might want consider a Walbro 416 because even a modded wally 255 will not properly support 480 whp of e85. (Neither will a DW300 or Aeromotive 320).

Also, i wouldn't call 400 ft-lbs on the stock block a reliability tune. 350-375 ft-lbs would be more appropriate for that. How hard you push it out at high revs matters to because that's where its easy to push the turbo outside of its efficiency range and generate lots of heat in the cylinders, especially for long 4th gear and 5th gear pulls. Don't mean to deter you... just want to point out reality.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
Cant wait to see your results vs mine buddy!! Should be good

Also to getinsideways - On my EF3 @ 26psi on a baby tune, I made 475whp on MAP's dynojet, stock 2.0 rest of mods in sig. Id sure think with more timing and more boost it would've made 525 no problem. Now with that said, the EF2.5 should be able to produce that 500 #. With a much better powerband IMO
I think you're right, and I can't wait to see what we can put out with these turbos. I just have to finish paying for mine and install it... Had quite a few delays. Ended up buying some Robispec KW Race coilovers and those set back my timeline for the EF2.5 a bit. Got em for 70% off though so it was worth it.

Originally Posted by mrfred
EV1200?? Are you sure? If yes, where did you get those? Might want consider a Walbro 416 because even a modded wally 255 will not properly support 480 whp of e85. (Neither will a DW300 or Aeromotive 320).

Also, i wouldn't call 400 ft-lbs on the stock block a reliability tune. 350-375 ft-lbs would be more appropriate for that. How hard you push it out at high revs matters to because that's where its easy to push the turbo outside of its efficiency range and generate lots of heat in the cylinders, especially for long 4th gear and 5th gear pulls. Don't mean to deter you... just want to point out reality.
Not sure, but that's what Tuning Technologies said when they ordered them for me. But they are liars and scammers so I don't really know what to believe.

I probably will have to switch to that bigger Wally to get 500 whp, that is becoming apparent to me as time goes on.

So do you think 380 wtq with 500 whp is a realistic goal on a good tune? My tuner right now is HollywoodX if you know him.

I also know that you yourself are a guru so I may send you a PM for recommendations on what to tell my tuner.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Not sure, but that's what Tuning Technologies said when they ordered them for me. But they are liars and scammers so I don't really know what to believe.

I probably will have to switch to that bigger Wally to get 500 whp, that is becoming apparent to me as time goes on.

So do you think 380 wtq with 500 whp is a realistic goal on a good tune? My tuner right now is HollywoodX if you know him.

I also know that you yourself are a guru so I may send you a PM for recommendations on what to tell my tuner.
I just looked at the Tuning Technology website. I think you have RC1200s and not EV1200s. EVs are pretty skinny while RCs will be fat.

380 wtq / 500 whp is a pretty reasonable goal if the EF 2.5 breathes about the same as an HTA Green (I suspect that it does because the EF2 is a bit below and the EF3 is a bit above.

Yeah, I know Hollywood. We talk pretty often. I'm sure he'll call if needed.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

What dyno? Dynojet/Mustang?

If its the first we better make that. The only reason I bought this turbo was because I wanted to gain spool/tq that the ef3 lost. I get tuned on a mustang dyno and my 425/360 was a very mild tune on the ef3. MAP knows my tuner/car very well and they also know this turbo should/better hit 430/400 on that mustang dyno or its sort of a bust. Considering I have multiple local friends who have hit 410-415whp with 380-385tq numbers with an ef2 on that same dyno. So we'll see, I'm anticipating those numbers entirely, or else why build it? lol. I'd imagine on a dynojet it'd be completely capable of 500/430ish numbers. With supporting mods of course

Last edited by evotuner04; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I just looked at the Tuning Technology website. I think you have RC1200s and not EV1200s. EVs are pretty skinny while RCs will be fat.

380 wtq / 500 whp is a pretty reasonable goal if the EF 2.5 breathes about the same as an HTA Green (I suspect that it does because the EF2 is a bit below and the EF3 is a bit above.

Yeah, I know Hollywood. We talk pretty often. I'm sure he'll call if needed.
They are the EV14 1200cc's. TT confirmed that today. And not the crappy FiveO ones either.

Good to know, and I'll be glad to hear your input on the progress/final results. I read a lot of your posts so it's nice to know you're watching.

What dyno? Dynojet/Mustang?

If its the first we better make that. The only reason I bought this turbo was because I wanted to gain spool/tq that the ef3 lost. I get tuned on a mustang dyno and my 425/360 was a very mild tune on the ef3. MAP knows my tuner/car very well and they also know this turbo should/better hit 430/400 on that mustang dyno or its sort of a bust. Considering I have multiple local friends who have hit 410-415whp with 380-385tq numbers with an ef2 on that same dyno. So we'll see, I'm anticipating those numbers entirely, or else why build it? lol. I'd imagine on a dynojet it'd be completely capable of 500/430ish numbers. With supporting mods of course
Dynojet, I figure dynojet is what everyone is most familiar with and the best 'median' between low and high reading dynos.

I think you're right about the output of this turbo, it should be right around where we're guessing. Just curious, but do you think the torque output you expect to get might be a bit dangerous, as mrfred suggested above?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Dynojet, I figure dynojet is what everyone is most familiar with and the best 'median' between low and high reading dynos.

I think you're right about the output of this turbo, it should be right around where we're guessing. Just curious, but do you think the torque output you expect to get might be a bit dangerous, as mrfred suggested above?
Anything is dangerous above stock power haha. I think its fairly proven these cars can take anywhere from 400-500whp on stock blocks with 400+tq as well. Not to say theres not situations where one blows, but most ppl that mod their car know that scenario is just one launch away. If youre hoping for a reliable 500whp car get a V8. If youre modding these cars because you love their endless possibilities, character and because this is a flat out pastime and hobby then youre doing it for the correct reasons Modding a car is absolutely the worst investment one can do but I do it for the enjoyment and satisfaction of having a car that not one V8 or STI can keep up with from January 1st to December 31st.

Sorry for the ramblings haha, but yes and no do I think its dangerous. Most great tuners can make the car an absolute beast but keep it dependable. Thats where you find gravy, especially on a 4cyl
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:25 PM

Can't wait to see what the outcome is.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Anything is dangerous above stock power haha. I think its fairly proven these cars can take anywhere from 400-500whp on stock blocks with 400+tq as well. Not to say theres not situations where one blows, but most ppl that mod their car know that scenario is just one launch away. If youre hoping for a reliable 500whp car get a V8. If youre modding these cars because you love their endless possibilities, character and because this is a flat out pastime and hobby then youre doing it for the correct reasons Modding a car is absolutely the worst investment one can do but I do it for the enjoyment and satisfaction of having a car that not one V8 or STI can keep up with from January 1st to December 31st.

Sorry for the ramblings haha, but yes and no do I think its dangerous. Most great tuners can make the car an absolute beast but keep it dependable. Thats where you find gravy, especially on a 4cyl
I agree, I bought this car because for the money, nothing comes close to the spirit, character, and insane fun factor + bang for the buck of the Evo. It is just an amazing car to drive whether around a corner or in a straight line. Truly one of the greatest driver's cars ever made.

I do like big power, but I want to keep it reliable and safe. I don't think it'll lose any reliability on the new turbo, even with the big power.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah fo sho, this turbo should make this car only more fun!!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Sub'd for results. I'm planning on going with a dbb fp red but that upgrade price is very tempting. Any guesses as to how the two would stack up?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

dbb? you saying ball bearing?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, everyone... the Evo 9 stock turbo I sent in had a cracked hotside. Trying to source a used one for cheap, MAP wants $225 for a freakin' used stock 9 hotside :|

I've also been spending money on other upgrades and that's taken away from my cash flow for the turbo. I bought some Robispec KW Race coilovers (for dirt cheap), corner balanced them etc so that took a big chunk of change. I am a budget modder with limitations on my ability to spend so I do everything as cost efficiently as possible... so when a deal for freshly rebuilt Robispec Races for $1250 comes up, I gotta jump on it.

My bad... I will try to speed things up.

Quick Reply: MAP EF2.5 Evo 8 E85 Results & Data