Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

TSComptuned - evo 8 RS stock block / stock cams / speed density fp black 32psi e70?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a sick powerband! That's wild that the stock intake manifold is breathing up top like that! I would expect it to fall flat on its face up top. Is it the ball bearing that allows it to hit 32 psi at 4300. That's like a jb black on a 2.4 lol. I guess that's why the ball bearing are so expensive.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

was a compression test done on this car ? curious to see what the numbers were.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much power do you think he would make on 92 pump?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Just to give everyone an idea of how Tom operates here's a screen shot of the emails (there's 13 more you can't see) I've received from Tom getting my car tuned again after I added some parts. I've had an issue with a o2 sensor failing (after I cut it to fit a invidia o2 housing) and with logging my AEM. That's 40 emails and all he has done is half sorted my idle and helped me with issues, most of which I created for myself. Tell me who has a better level of service than this, there couldn't be a better level of service in the auto industry IMO.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RussellDaniel
That's a sick powerband! That's wild that the stock intake manifold is breathing up top like that! I would expect it to fall flat on its face up top. Is it the ball bearing that allows it to hit 32 psi at 4300. That's like a jb black on a 2.4 lol. I guess that's why the ball bearing are so expensive.
The tubular manifold is responsible for a bit of that additional power uptop. The stock intake manifold isnt as bad as it looks. when compared direct with a f1i for example side by side it looks horrible, but performance wise it does quite well with a fp black turbo. once you start going bigger and bigger though im sure the stock intake manifold will bottleneck more and more.

The spool is nice definitely. for no mivec and so forth, its a very decent spool up. the speed density helps spool quite a lot. so does the ethanol.

The ball bearing are expensive, because the chra is custom and just in general cost more then journal bearing parts. one of the big pluses about the ball bearing though is, it can take a lot more abuse and not fail. transient response is very noticeable just driving around also when you compare a jb black to a bb black. it feels more free and less restrained.

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
was a compression test done on this car ? curious to see what the numbers were.
not that im aware of. ill ask the owner, but i dont think he has done one. id be curious what it is also myself since it still has stock cams we can get a good idea of the engine life vs stock.

curious why are you asking though? do you want something to compare to on your personal engine? if you have cams your numbers will be lower then stock by default.

Originally Posted by Graphic
How much power do you think he would make on 92 pump?
hard question to answer, i have no idea. maybe 430whp max? i really dont know. it would greatly come down to the quality of that 92octane gas. ive seen some 91oct gas that was stronger then some 92oct gas, so the gas quality in general would be my biggest question. for example, it may not be able to make past 430 on 93 even.

I just cant answer that question without trying it first, because so many things can bottleneck on 93 that typically would not bottleneck on e85 due to the cooling properties of e85. i have no idea how good his FMIC is for example.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Just to give everyone an idea of how Tom operates here's a screen shot of the emails (there's 13 more you can't see) I've received from Tom getting my car tuned again after I added some parts. I've had an issue with a o2 sensor failing (after I cut it to fit a invidia o2 housing) and with logging my AEM. That's 40 emails and all he has done is half sorted my idle and helped me with issues, most of which I created for myself. Tell me who has a better level of service than this, there couldn't be a better level of service in the auto industry IMO.

Thanks i appreciate the kind words Andrew! Well the thing is, ive been doing this and nothing else for the past year now or so. so i dedicate myself to the email/remote stuff so that is why im able to give such good service in regards to it.

It has become a full time job M-F and sometimes on the weekends i will give customers some stuff to work with as well if i feel im a little behind and owe it to them.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

ok heres where i have him sitting right now until he gets the buschur double pumper installed and gsc cams installed:

(max smoothing 485).

385lbs in the car this time around, and turned the boost down quite a bit.

This is what i want. the flat tq curve. Previously it was running closer to 36psi uptop. he did not have his equation set right in evoscan.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

So as you guys can see, car is making great power. As as stated in my OP, I had made the mistake before going back to Tom and tried a different tuner. Well we just switch over to a different laptop because my other one pretty much took a poop. Anyways, we just found out that the previous tuner had my boost logging evaluation in evoscan setup completely wrong, which in turn was showing boost at about 4-5psi higher then it actually was making it more difficult for Tom to work with, but ofcourse Tom being the tuning genius he is worked around someone elses fu** up.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:20 PM

very nice
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
not that im aware of. ill ask the owner, but i dont think he has done one. id be curious what it is also myself since it still has stock cams we can get a good idea of the engine life vs stock.

curious why are you asking though? do you want something to compare to on your personal engine? if you have cams your numbers will be lower then stock by default.
I just wanted to see what the numbers looked like before he went for the big power. Maybe get an idea of what the condition of the stock block was. If that makes sense lol
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I think when i get the cams installed i'll have them do a compression test before hand, i'll let u guys knw the numbers when the time comes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReignMan24
I think when i get the cams installed i'll have them do a compression test before hand, i'll let u guys knw the numbers when the time comes
thanks man, keep us posted.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

so we were troubleshooting the boost issue with this car last night. It was not allowing us to run past the 32-33psi at redline area (the same curve you see in the original graph).

I had Naithan run the vacuum line from the WGA directly to the boost source, which would give us nothing but WG pressure. So that was done and the curve was around a solid 25psi across.

Next I had him reinstall the 3 port, and do a pull. Below is the graph of the results of the 3 port pull.

LOL.. this graph/ boost curve/power curves in general are probably the goofiest/crazy looking curves ive seen yet. At higher RPM in the pull, his vacuum line shot off the boost source getting sucked into the radiator fan, which end resulted in 44psi at redline.

Clearly it is way overspun at this point, it barely made 30whp more with 10psi more boost!

Here are the overlays of these two runs just for entertainment purposes only. the WG pressure line has an inflated hump in it, for reference. The 3 port line is normal. (not really), but not inflated.

It almost looks like the turbo spools up twice lol.

I think later today ill have a more suitable graph to share of this car. Once we put the cams in this car we should be looking at 600 or so. I have a feeling this is another stock block that's going to see very high #'s and stay together.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yet another really impressive setup by Tom. Amazingly flat torque "curve" it looks like a damn shelf. You could rest a drink on it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's always nice to see an error like the line shooting off and boost going ape****, yet still having the a/f stay in control! Good stuff!!

Quick Reply: TSComptuned - evo 8 RS stock block / stock cams / speed density fp black 32psi e70?