Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 8 stock turbo 93oct gsc s3 vs stock cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
evo 8 stock turbo 93oct gsc s3 vs stock cams

i find it so interesting that the big cams work with the small turbos. don't mind the other pulls he was starting super late. I had him start earlier to get a feel for the spool and it matched the stock cams to my surprise.

im not sure how much changed mod wise since the gsc s3's. he will respond in here im sure.

24-25psi 93octane fuel. car location i believe is in FL (70F temp)

mod list is:

2004 evo 8 gsr
10.5 hotside evo 8 turbo
GSC S3 cams
GSC beehive springs & Ti retainers
tomei 02 housing and downpipe
3" TBE
AEM air intake
Spoolinup coil on plug ignition
turbo xs 3.5" FMIC + (upper and lower)
Works TB (stock size?)
synapse DV
ACT HD clutch
walbro 255 HP
tephra v7 maf

for boost its using a hallman pro. im not sure if he still has the 3 port hooked up or not, but
if he does, then i have it feeding some wgdc to stop the boost from dropping off as severe uptop.

as far as torque curve goes, that is for safety of the bottom end. whats important is the curve is
staying above or near 300tq for a very long time.

Spool isn't really effected, which is interesting. on Scott's car the s3's made him lag a good 250rpm or more with the 6266.

This is a solid 380whp car on 93octane with minimal mods. the 280 cams are definitely handing over a 10whp advantage for sure i would say over a regular 272.

so a 50whp gain the cams gave this car. cant beat that at all. and the gsc cams are priced extremely well. i will slowly convert all my customers to gsc cams.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perfect... very good result!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:20 AM

283kws with a standard evo8 turbo on Pump premium Unleaded fuel?

we struggle to get evo9 Turbos on E85 to make the same power..on VD

unless im missing something?

good result none theless
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:20 AM

US 93 octane is more like aussie 100 and dynojet numbers are higher then dd figures.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I find it very interesting to see that the S3s hit 300tq almost 200rpms sooner than the stock cams.

S3s FTW!

Do you think he could make 400whp on pump with some IM and EM porting with a IX turbo?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've honestly always felt this was true. You get very little loss low/mid and have nothing but gains up top
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
I've honestly always felt this was true. You get very little loss low/mid and have nothing but gains up top
I have been saying the same for a long time but yet I always had people argue against it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There was a huge argument in my build thread about how S3s were too big, even with a 2.4L, and I'm so glad that I didn't buy into it because my car is 3xs as peppy now than my 2.0 was with S2s.

This just proves it more, AND it's on a 2.0L.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job Tom!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

i gotta find my log with the stock cams on e85 to overlay now with my s3s on pump gas. its 10.5:1 motor however
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn now i feel like **** I bought s2 272' profile but whatever I got them for $280, I cant beat that.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
There was a huge argument in my build thread about how S3s were too big, even with a 2.4L, and I'm so glad that I didn't buy into it .
i remember that mess...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks tom! this is my car and i changed NOTHING AT ALL except the s3 cams/valvetrain and added a 3 port. the before run was at 26psi and now its 24.5psi peak.

hybrid boost + s3 = win!

I was a little apprehensive when i first bought these cams, but man am i glad i did. basically from idle to 2,500 u can feel a little less torque but i actually liked it because it helped with the part-throttle bucking that i had to deal with in first & second gear. The cams are awesome, and the car is fast everywhere. they lope hard but are still smooth.

The only downside is that i have to let me car warm up for at least 4 mins, otherwise it will stall and drive like crap. and the noise increase.... were talking at least 20db+ increase at idle. I have decided to go with a boost actuated cutout and stock muffler to shut this thing up lol.

in my opinion the GSC website needs to be updated, these cams belong in anything over an FP Green. knowing that the r2's are coming out, i hope that some r3's are in the future.

untuned idle clip.

Last edited by TigOLDBiTTies; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
I find it very interesting to see that the S3s hit 300tq almost 200rpms sooner than the stock cams.

S3s FTW!

Do you think he could make 400whp on pump with some IM and EM porting with a IX turbo?
its very possible yes.

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
when i switch from kelford to these on my car i was confused. normally you would expect a bigger cam to drive worse and have sloppy characteristics in general.. these drive better then anything ive ever driven on before.

Originally Posted by evo8426
I have been saying the same for a long time but yet I always had people argue against it.
these are the smallest but biggest cams for an evo. meaning they drive like stock cams or better, but hit hard uptop like big cams. i expected to see loss of spool downlow though. its very interesting there was no loss.

There was a huge argument in my build thread about how S3s were too big, even with a 2.4L, and I'm so glad that I didn't buy into it because my car is 3xs as peppy now than my 2.0 was with S2s.

This just proves it more, AND it's on a 2.0L.
i seen that. people think they are to big for the evo and valvetrain. certainly not true. the only thing these do that i do not like is tend to cause false knock, but its not hard to eliminate that. i just do a very conservative tune on the car that i know 100% wont knock, then adjust it from there. we had it at around 19psi still making around 360whp.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Nice job Tom!
Thanks B.J!

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
i gotta find my log with the stock cams on e85 to overlay now with my s3s on pump gas. its 10.5:1 motor however
Ya when you change compression & engine in general, its really not a fair comparison anymore in your case. but it would still be interesting to see.

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
damn now i feel like **** I bought s2 272' profile but whatever I got them for $280, I cant beat that.
s2's are good. $280 is a steal. i wouldnt feel bad. just make sure they are the newer higher lift s2's.

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
thanks tom! this is my car and i changed NOTHING AT ALL except the s3 cams/valvetrain and added a 3 port. the before run was at 26psi and now its 24.5psi peak.

hybrid boost + s3 = win!

I was a little apprehensive when i first bought these cams, but man am i glad i did. basically from idle to 2,500 u can feel a little less torque but i actually liked it because it helped with the part-throttle bucking that i had to deal with in first & second gear. The cams are awesome, and the car is fast everywhere. they lope hard but are still smooth.

The only downside is that i have to let me car warm up for at least 4 mins, otherwise it will stall and drive like crap. and the noise increase.... were talking at least 20db+ increase at idle. I have decided to go with a boost actuated cutout and stock muffler to shut this thing up lol.

in my opinion the GSC website needs to be updated, these cams belong in anything over an FP Green. knowing that the r2's are coming out, i hope that some r3's are in the future.

untuned idle clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Kgb5gA6tc
if you want we can smooth the idle out a bit more. i dont know how you want the car to idle. the warming up part i might be able to take care of with maf tables is the afr normal when its warming up or lean?

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 12, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
s2's are good. $280 is a steal. i wouldnt feel bad. just make sure they are the newer higher lift s2's.

Yeah I called GSC to prove their authenticity and they said they were the newer profile. How bad were the old one compared to these newer profiles? I just hope when I go with a 2.4 destroked to rev to the moon that the s2 pulls power to redline!

Quick Reply: evo 8 stock turbo 93oct gsc s3 vs stock cams