Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BR 2.0L FP Black BR BF272 cams E85 & 93 results - 630whp+

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
BR 2.0L FP Black BR BF272 cams E85 & 93 results - 630whp+

I just finished working on Josh's Evo. Josh was tuned by me way back in 2011 and came back after changing his setup a lot and ironing out details and so forth on his car. He was not completely satisfied with his experience with me back in 2011 so we spoke and came to an agreement i would retune him free over the weekend.

This should show and display the level of customer satisfaction i aim for as a tuner and business owner in general. I gave this customer $500+ in free tuning services over saturday and sunday (my days off). First we worked on the 93 tune then we went over to the E85 tune.

I will let him explain his experience with me this time around and how his car drives and responds on the stock ecu with speed density conversion we did on the vehicle.

I have absolutely no regrets and i am just as happy as he is right now for retuning him and making him a much happy customer and proud evo owner in general.

The 93 octane results are pretty crazy. Keep in mind i am not a cookie cutter style tuner, and i will take the time and find that perfect balance with the car where i find what works best. This particular car was very happy with boost, and made the numbers on paper to back it up. He wanted to push it hard on 93, so that is what we did!

Temp: 44F 93oct / 65F E85
Loc: OH
ECU: Stock ecu / tephra v7 + speed density / ecu boost

Mods:

BR built 2.0 (je / manley)
BR ported fp black w/18psi act
BR double pumper
BR BFIC FMIC
BR BF272 cams / supertech duals
BR baffled oil pan
BR upper ic pipe with hks sequential
BR race lower ic pipe
BR ported im
BR 65mm tb
BR ported em
BR tubular o2
TSComp 4" SD intake
FIC 1450 inj
Kiggly hla
MAP nitrided valves all
MAP h11 studs
exedy triple
grimmspeed 3 port ebc

First are the 93oct results. The car took a surprising 35-36psi on 93oct, and thanks to ecu boost, i was able to smoothly and slowly creep the psi higher and high as the RPM increased. End result is below.

Temperatures during these pulls on Saturday night were 44F

93oct Results:

Next was e85. The temperature today on Sunday was 65F. His buddy that he just got finished fixing his leaking main seal on his car asked to ride along. He weigh'ed his buddy before getting into the vehicle to make sure we keep numbers as accurate as possible. His buddy weigh'ed in at 205lb. First pull on E85 633whp.

Next I leaned it out some then his buddy left and he completed two more pulls. Car made a very solid 639WHP at smoothing 3. I am sure with more boost we can get more power out of the vehicle, but we both agreed 37PSI at high RPM is really working the FP black hard and the risk was not worth the benefit in this case.

Here is the E85 results:

I should also note, Josh does all the mechanical work, wrenching, and assembling of his vehicle. The only thing he did not do was build the shortblock. Everything else is done by him!

Here are some pictures of his very nicely done engine bay and interior:

Last edited by tscompusa; Apr 14, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my car and all I can say is wow. Tom really outdid himself this time. He made sure I was happy and went out of his way to take care of me. Needless to say i was very happy with our results. I have owned this car since new and it has not driven and started this good since stock. SD is amazing with better driving then on the MAF. I mean on the street this thing is scary fast and so smooth. I need to get my trans rebuilt asap as 4th gear isnt happy we me right now so track times should come soon. I just want to thank you once again Tom and it was a pleasure working with you. You have help an evo owner fall back in love with his baby. Lol
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, 36 psi on pump gas is pretty crazy.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice setup! Nice work again Tom!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

good stuff Tom! prob feels alot like my car. If it doesnt it is simply amazing feeling!

and to Josh take it too the track if your tran's is up for it. If you have the weight dead on you will go 133-135 all day with that VD number!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats to the owner.
Head work? Standard or oversized valves?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:18 AM

Head has been lightly ported and cleaned up by me. Standard sized MAP nitrided valves.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joshl'sevo8
This is my car and all I can say is wow. Tom really outdid himself this time. He made sure I was happy and went out of his way to take care of me. Needless to say i was very happy with our results. I have owned this car since new and it has not driven and started this good since stock. SD is amazing with better driving then on the MAF. I mean on the street this thing is scary fast and so smooth. I need to get my trans rebuilt asap as 4th gear isnt happy we me right now so track times should come soon. I just want to thank you once again Tom and it was a pleasure working with you. You have help an evo owner fall back in love with his baby. Lol
Thanks Josh for the kind words and im glad you're happy. now you can enjoy it for the rest of the summer. when you decide to go bigger or change something let me know!

Ya we def need to get it to the track. It is going to fly.

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Wow, 36 psi on pump gas is pretty crazy.
ya i almost don't believe the gauge / 4bar lol. strong 93oct.

Originally Posted by Graphic
Nice setup! Nice work again Tom!
Thanks Gideon!

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
good stuff Tom! prob feels alot like my car. If it doesnt it is simply amazing feeling!

and to Josh take it too the track if your tran's is up for it. If you have the weight dead on you will go 133-135 all day with that VD number!
133 all day with this power. but if he doesn't get a clean pass and gets locked out it wont go more then 128 i bet. with a clean pass and a good driver this should go 135 if its truly 630 in vd.

Last edited by tscompusa; Apr 15, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:32 PM

Last summer with the trans f'ed up on slicks, and 65+whp less, I ran 11.1@128. So as soon as I get the trans fixed I hope to go back and get nicely into the 10's. I am finally getting the launch down with the M&H slicks so it should be pretty easy with a good trans and the new mods and power. Thanks again Tom for the kick *** tune.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Tom, any concern that the 35 psi on 93 might knock when ambient temps rise in the summer? Do you set up the boost tables to pull back at higher temps?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Tom, any concern that the 35 psi on 93 might knock when ambient temps rise in the summer? Do you set up the boost tables to pull back at higher temps?
the boost will drop as the weather gets hotter. its setup like a mbc per say. so it was tuned around 44F, lets say on a 80F day it may drop down to around 33psi or so.

I will adjust it for him if need be. he wanted to run whatever he could on 93, so we did. he has an egt gauge as well.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:19 PM

Wow, very impressive setup and numbers. I have a similar setup and need a retune in the near future.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks man. The car is a beast to drive on the street for sure. Tom did an awesome job. I am very happy with it. Just waiting to get my trans rebuilt so we can get to the track and run some killer times.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joshl'sevo8
Thanks man. The car is a beast to drive on the street for sure. Tom did an awesome job. I am very happy with it. Just waiting to get my trans rebuilt so we can get to the track and run some killer times.
Glad to see you're enjoying it! Josh did i ever send stickers to you yet or no?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Just looking back at this setup again. The spool and power numbers on this care are crazy good.

Quick Reply: BR 2.0L FP Black BR BF272 cams E85 & 93 results - 630whp+