Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 9 MR stock block FP Black GSC R2 cams 93oct 27psi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
evo 9 MR stock block FP Black GSC R2 cams 93oct 27psi

Posting this for Andrew. Previosly Andrew was on stock turbo and made solid numbers for his elevation and location in general on stock turbo with less bolt ons.

It made this on the stock turbo with stock cams, maf, and oldschool greddy 24row FMIC

====================================

recently he purchased an

FP Black DBB from me
GSC R2 cams & GSC 5041 Beehive Hi-rev springs & retainers & gsc valve seals
MAP H11 headstuds
universal 4bar
tscomptuned 4" SD intake pipe + filter.
+ whatever else i missed

Pic of stuff here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...om-tscomp.html

======================================

Moving on here are the results of the new additional parts added to the car.
We were told the R2 wont work on the stock head or stock block, but they do work just fine. Keeping very close attention to detail on the valve seals and springs everything seems just fine.

Car is from Australia and elevation is around 2200ft above like mentioned in the graph above.

Fuel being used is the same 93oct fuel as before (called 98 RON there). Maybe it is a bit stronger than actual 93.

ECU is stock ecu + speed density + GM AIT + universal 4bar. This is a EDM car, so you can't use the fuel temp sensor on this car in replacement to avoid having a GM AIT etc, so we used spoolinup harness + GM AIT.

Boost pressure we played with. tried a bunch of combinations on this car, it was most happy right around here which is approx 26-27psi

Full mod list:

FP Black DBB
GSC R2 Cams + GSC5041 spring set
Greddy 24row FMIC
ETS 1.25 tubular exhaust manifold
ETS licp
MAP H11 studs
stock bov crushed - possibly leaking
muse o2 dump
FIC 1100cc
Modded Walbro 255
Invidia o2
3" TBE /w cat
TSComptuned 4" SD intake pipe + filter
Grimmspeed 3 port
Tephra v7 speed density / gm ait / 4bar

Graph of two runs overlayed. Temps outside were roughly 65F

I'm pretty sure tires are 25.33 now but if not, I will adjust later for 25.2 which would drop it down another 5whp.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk about flat tq curve.....I love it. They have e85 over there?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
talk about flat tq curve.....I love it. They have e85 over there?
I don't know if he can get E85 or not. Id love to see what it does on higher octane fuel though, such as 100oct.

not e85 though, the fuel system will bottleneck at 480 with e85.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 26, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tom I thought the R2 cams were design for stroker motors?But I guess you can make it up with the mivec nice job

Mike
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MiTech
tom I thought the R2 cams were design for stroker motors?But I guess you can make it up with the mivec nice job

Mike
That's what i thought too.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of these for sale for a mivec head, $325. 15k miles on them and in pristine condition. I made 556hp on a mustang dyno with a 2.4L/Black combo, and Tom has shown they make power on a stock 2.0L. Posted with permission from Tom.

For Sale Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey everyone.
Tom did a great job, as usual. Just a few points

FMIC is not a ETS, just the Greddy intercooler, which has a larger front area than stock but is not thicker. A ETS intercooler, or VRSF 4", is on the cards plus a short UICP to give the 4" intake some more room. I had no issues with heat on my current setup but that may be different in summer.

No E85 here, it hasn't really been supported by local fuel companies. I think the closest station that sells it is a 4 hour round trip away. Maybe meth injection!

Car drives great, get it above 4000 and it just pulls, and you can see why, it's torque delivery is like it's got an electric motor. The car was pretty quick before, you still gotta watch it though, the torque delivery is a bit deceptive and i find that I'm going 20km/h quicker than I was on the old setup. Everyday drivability (is that a word?) is better than before, very smooth. Tom knows his speed density.

I know GSC recommened the R2 cams for stroker motors, but with the right tuning, turbo and supporting mods I think they're perfect for stock setps. The torque levels are not going to blow your motor, or tranny, to bits but you have your max torque everywhere, which makes the car very quick. Just check those clearences.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Post vids of idle or get banned! ... that torque curve is beautiful
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice work Tom. Another FP Black TSCOMP TUNED Evo for the win
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suby2evo
Not a problem. Tom is just working on smoothing out the idle a bit, but it's not much to see, just a tiny bit louder and a bit more lope than stock. The honest truth, if I hadn't stuck the R2's in there myself I couldn't tell it had big cams in it at all, at least from their idle, tuned by Tom. Maybe the Mivec smooths things out, the non-mivec Evo's seem to lope more with big cams. I'm sure if you want lope Tom could tune it in for you, just change some of the mivec settings at idle.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good Andrew.
The FP Black looks the goods on a stock 2L. Would be a nice package to drive around

Hopefully ill get to see it soon.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by _evo9
Looking good Andrew.
The FP Black looks the goods on a stock 2L. Would be a nice package to drive around

Hopefully ill get to see it soon.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MiTech

Mike
they are, but just like S3's are designed for huge turbo applications, they also have advantages even on the stock turbo cars! would get the same performance from a non mivec evo 8 head as well here.

Originally Posted by fcapistran
That's what i thought too.
Originally Posted by Fireescape
Hey everyone.
Tom did a great job, as usual. Just a few points

FMIC is not a ETS, just the Greddy intercooler, which has a larger front area than stock but is not thicker. A ETS intercooler, or VRSF 4", is on the cards plus a short UICP to give the 4" intake some more room. I had no issues with heat on my current setup but that may be different in summer.

No E85 here, it hasn't really been supported by local fuel companies. I think the closest station that sells it is a 4 hour round trip away. Maybe meth injection!

Car drives great, get it above 4000 and it just pulls, and you can see why, it's torque delivery is like it's got an electric motor. The car was pretty quick before, you still gotta watch it though, the torque delivery is a bit deceptive and i find that I'm going 20km/h quicker than I was on the old setup. Everyday drivability (is that a word?) is better than before, very smooth. Tom knows his speed density.

I know GSC recommened the R2 cams for stroker motors, but with the right tuning, turbo and supporting mods I think they're perfect for stock setps. The torque levels are not going to blow your motor, or tranny, to bits but you have your max torque everywhere, which makes the car very quick. Just check those clearences.

Thanks Andrew! ya your spool is very good as its very clear the cars hitting full boost / spool right around 4200RPM. definitely a fun combination, and the higher you rev it out the more power it will make if you didnt notice that already.

Originally Posted by suby2evo
We can post a video of the idle up. just need to make a few afr adjustments.

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Nice work Tom. Another FP Black TSCOMP TUNED Evo for the win
I got two more to share, both went over 650whp. thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Not a problem. Tom is just working on smoothing out the idle a bit, but it's not much to see, just a tiny bit louder and a bit more lope than stock. The honest truth, if I hadn't stuck the R2's in there myself I couldn't tell it had big cams in it at all, at least from their idle, tuned by Tom. Maybe the Mivec smooths things out, the non-mivec Evo's seem to lope more with big cams. I'm sure if you want lope Tom could tune it in for you, just change some of the mivec settings at idle.
Ya the mivec can hide the cams. now on a evo 8 you will hear the lope more, but on a 9 i can completely eliminate it just about. most do want lope i get yelled at quite often when i remove lope from customer cars.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm now torn on S2 cams or R2 cams. I have a stock bottom end but have a red and want a 2.3 in the future.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

When these R2 cams first released I bought a bunch of them to get a really good deal. If you are looking for a set PM me and i will give you a killer deal on a set. I think i have 3 sets left out of the 10 i had for the evo IX.

I can throw in springs & retainers also if they are asked for.

Quick Reply: evo 9 MR stock block FP Black GSC R2 cams 93oct 27psi