Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 9 SSL - BR 2.3L Oldschool AMS 3586R kit S2 cams E85 & 93 | 700WHP+

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Evo 9 SSL - BR 2.3L Oldschool AMS 3586R kit S2 cams E85 & 93 | 700WHP+

Sharing Anthony's car again like we did last year. This year he decided to do an E85 tune with a new Buschur 2.3L engine. My personal goal for his car was 700WHP~. This is not easy to do with a small .63 AR hotside that is restricting top end power. I told anthony this, and he was well aware the AMS kit spools very quick for a 3586R because of its restrictive hotside which sacrifices top end.

The boost curve always has a funky dip in it. it had a hump last year. also. not sure why this car does this. its the only ecu boost car ive tuned that does this on stock ecu. I will have him look into the external wastegate for possible issues.

The 93oct tune we completed in just two pulls. he did not want anything aggressive on that, so we just ran off wastegate pressure for that and had it completed in two pulls.

Fueling: E85 & 93oct
Temps: 72F outside

Mods:

Evo 9 SSL
BR 2.3L
BR double pumper
BR exhaust
BR Ported intake manifold
AMS HTA86 (oldschool hotside .63 AR)
Exedy Triple HD
FIC 2150cc
MilSpec 65MM TB
GSC S2
ETS intercooler
ETS licp
STM uicp
ARP L19
Tial 50mm
Grimmspeed 3 port
SpoolinUp COP
Tephra v7 SD /w ecuboost (4bar / gm ait)

E85: (I could have filled that dip in mid range boost and opened up way more tq but i asked Anthony if he could feel it, and he said no, then i asked do you want more tq in there? He said no, it already scares me lol. so we left it weird like that) <-- lol just explaining the goofy boost curve.

Quick 93 tune (wastegate pressure):

downlow a bit i richened afr alittle more, other then that thats where we left the 93. very conservative. 3 port made that hump by itself also.

Last edited by tscompusa; Aug 1, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That looks hot. That makes me so happy I went with the .63 hotside on my 3586.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far, this car screams in 3rd! I havnt done a pull in any other gear, but this thing spools so fast for the turbo, makes for a very fast, fun street car!

Cant wait for the shootout! Im really hoping I can barrow my new father in laws truck and a trailer so I can really beat up on the car all weekend without any worries of getting home, 8hrs away lol. Finally get to try my qtps!

If I dont tow it, I dont know that I will race at all lol.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Amazing for a .63a/r, makes me think I went to big going from the .82 to 1.03......

Looks fun, enjoy it!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerband looks good. I can't wait to go for a ride in this beast. Good job Tom!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

we still need to see whats causing the boost curve issue and also was a slight false knock issue at lower rpm that i didn't take care of yet because i'm curious what was causing it. i confirmed it was false though. kept removing a degree and it kept going more lower and lower each time with loss of power.

aside from those two things, once its fixed car will be 100%. hopefully its just the wastegate causing the weird boost curve. this is the only car i've ever done that did that with a 3 port before.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I tightened the plug gap this weekend. I did notice my intercooler piping kinda rattling against the frame rail as well. I didnt get a chance to check out the wg yet.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBoz
That looks hot. That makes me so happy I went with the .63 hotside on my 3586.
but do keep in mind thats 40-42psi at redline! so the small A/R is definitely hurting power up top.

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I tightened the plug gap this weekend. I did notice my intercooler piping kinda rattling against the frame rail as well. I didnt get a chance to check out the wg yet.
The upper pipe? short route? it hits the body? if so i had that happen to me before also. it can also hit the engine mount stud on trans that the moun slides over. i bet thats where its coming from. also could be a heatshield somewhere at downpipe area or downpipe touching oil pan etc.

let me know when you check the wastegate. that boost curve annoys me just looking at it.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same turbo and am interested in that .63 hotside. Is it a 3" v band exit or is it the 2.5" 4 bolt outlet??
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
but do keep in mind thats 40-42psi at redline! so the small A/R is definitely hurting power up top.

The upper pipe? short route? it hits the body? if so i had that happen to me before also. it can also hit the engine mount stud on trans that the moun slides over. i bet thats where its coming from. also could be a heatshield somewhere at downpipe area or downpipe touching oil pan etc.

let me know when you check the wastegate. that boost curve annoys me just looking at it.
Yea, the upper pipe. It looked as if its been rattling a bit against the frame. Nothing hitting the studs on the trans at all.

I started working out this week again, so its been busy so far lol. I will get this wg checked out asap though!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
I have the same turbo and am interested in that .63 hotside. Is it a 3" v band exit or is it the 2.5" 4 bolt outlet??
This .63 housing is actually the 5bolt style housing. The same precision used to use.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
For such a small hot side, the power is there! Not bad at all.
Should be a great street car.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Car is a monster on the street. Full boost by 4500 haha
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys, looking for a little insight here. I just pulled the tial 38mm off. Took it apart, sliced my thumb up in the mean time on the dam thing! Anyways, it looks completely fine. I have a small blue, large blue spring combo in it. I didnt see anything out of the ordinary that would look like a problem to me.

I havnt done a boost leak test for a week, but when I did it last, there were no leaks to be found. Trying to diagnose this funky boost curve dip my car has. I cant feel it in the car, but the dyno shows its there.

Im starting to wonder if its just a small boost spike, since im running the smaller .63 housing?
Suggestions?

Last edited by tsidrift1; Aug 6, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

The last rom i sent will address some of the boost droppage. since you have confirmed the WGA was ok and everything else looks ok then ill just tune the curve in to be straight.

id guess its from the .63 ar then. i don't see what else it would be.

glad to see the upper pipe adjustments removed our false knock crap though downlow.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 SSL - BR 2.3L Oldschool AMS 3586R kit S2 cams E85 & 93 | 700WHP+