Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Switched to E85 and only Made an Extra 16WHP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Ya i was going to say the gasket is probably blown also depending on how long the leak was there.

Well now you know what the issue is! once you get a new gasket and retap / fix your leak you should spool 10x quicker and it will make more power. be careful though, it may boost way higher then it is now after you fix that leak.
Yes I know, just hopefully when I get this fixed I can retune and get more power. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Randal
Can this be the solution to all my problems.? Lol
That certainly is not helping your situation. Get that fixed up and report back your findings. Ill keep my fingers crossed that you figured it out
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes I know, just hopefully when I get this fixed I can retune and get more power. Thanks for your help.
no problem! glad to help.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
That certainly is not helping your situation. Get that fixed up and report back your findings. Ill keep my fingers crossed that you figured it out
Will do thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Can this be the solution to all my problems.? Lol
exhaust leak like that wont actually hurt power, only spool. boost leaks hurt bower because the turbo has to spin faster to make up for leak. this overheats the air. exhaust leak however is like running a larger a/r on the exhaust side.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
exhaust leak like that wont actually hurt power, only spool. boost leaks hurt bower because the turbo has to spin faster to make up for leak. this overheats the air. exhaust leak however is like running a larger a/r on the exhaust side.
I understand your theory here but I've had plenty of trucks at work that will have almost no power due to blown manifold/turbo gaskets so I wouldn't doubt that this is all of his problem. You have to take in account the size of the leak, maybe a small leak would be a slightly bigger a/r but a large leak like he has could effectively be making it a huge a/r which would put the turbo way out of it's efficiency range.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

that exhaust leak looks small to me. I've had exhaust leaks on these cars. I know how boost and power reacts. plus his description indicates boost could be turned up.

He said that when he raised the boost its just not netting him HP.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:23 AM

Like I said at Idle its letting out a nice chunk of air, equivalent to a child blowing out a candle. Imagine what comes out of there at 28psi boost.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that exhaust leak looks small to me. I've had exhaust leaks on these cars. I know how boost and power reacts. plus his description indicates boost could be turned up.
I understand what your saying. I guess it does depend mainly on the size of the leak, I didn't see his picture before and it sounded more like a good corner of the gasket had blown out.
Only way to know for sure is to get her fixed and see what happens.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with this.

Only in the event that the exhaust leak is large enough for the turbo to not reach the target psi will you loose peak power. Still does not explain what's going on here.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exhaust leak explains the lag. The lack of power though....is your cam timing set properly? That could be part of the problem. You don't need cam gears at your power level. You also should be well over 26-27 psi if you are trying to make optimum power. Most cars locally that are on IX sized turbos are running 31-32psi peak to make good power. Not 27.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
The exhaust leak explains the lag. The lack of power though....is your cam timing set properly? That could be part of the problem. You don't need cam gears at your power level. You also should be well over 26-27 psi if you are trying to make optimum power. Most cars locally that are on IX sized turbos are running 31-32psi peak to make good power. Not 27.
Yes the tuner checked it and its perfect. What I think it's that boost will increase to the boost you want via the MBC but it is being efficient at that level with that leak not supplying enough air? Sounds to me like its cavitation hot air
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can't really tell from the picture....is that where exhaust manifold sits on the hotside or where 02 housing meets the hotside?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

do you have picture of engine compartment?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
can't really tell from the picture....is that where exhaust manifold sits on the hotside or where 02 housing meets the hotside?
I don't understand but it's the gasket from the exhaust manifold to turbo housing, if you stand infront the left side is leaking.

Quick Reply: Switched to E85 and only Made an Extra 16WHP