Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo IX The shop built 2.3L Super99 Magnus v5 E85 Wastegate pressure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
How hard would you push it on 93 octane? I'd have imagined one wouldn't go over (if even as high as) 30psi on 93, and this is hitting that boost in the low 5000rpm range punching in from 4500rpm.... going by that I'm reckoning this turbo would match or better a 6266 for at least 2000rpm of the rev range. The fun 2000+rpm
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems that the 44mm wg is too small and cause boost creep?

this turbo is a 100lb beast!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

So updates how is this turbo doing on the street
Old Dec 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

+1 - ultra keen to hear how it behaves compared to other big nasties
Old Jan 3, 2014, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Freddy302
Well you live in CT, I have to go through emission and it wont pass with the AEM So I needed a tune to drive and go through emissions. Tom was nice enough to help me out with this.

The Stock ecu is blah.. not for me I have been racing for too long. I like direct control of fuel and precision of timing. At this Horsepower level I don't feel comfortable having to try and trick the Stock ECU. I'm gonna go back to the AEM but the V2 this time since it had even more control then the V1.
I just went through emissions with stock ecu. I wouldnt feel comfortable with stock ecu at this power level.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
The stock ecu is fine at high power levels. It did just fine with my new setup which is a very big setup. I tune everything, so i don't favor one over the other, but i am still on the stock ecu in my personal car which is now a much different setup. It would be nice if it logged more data though in a run.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by Lexus01IS
I just went through emissions with stock ecu. I wouldnt feel comfortable with stock ecu at this power level.
Power level has nothing to do with it. When I used to live in NY all I had to do was go to a place that doesn't do a visual and only checks the ECU and I pass. The beauty of stock ECU.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
looks like more fun than the law allows. amazing
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
The stock ecu is fine at high power levels. It did just fine with my new setup which is a very big setup. I tune everything, so i don't favor one over the other, but i am still on the stock ecu in my personal car which is now a much different setup. It would be nice if it logged more data though in a run.
You just need to use DMA logging.

The stock ecu is considerably more advanced than the V2 AEM and would be comparable to the AEM infinity both hardware and software wise. Unfortunately, the OEM ecu doesn't have user interface software that can exploit the capabilities of the ecu.

The virtual dyno is about worthless at this level with the standard data logging rate. There is so much phase shift in that graph due to filtering, low sample rate, and computation method that the numbers are probably completely useless.

No doubt the car makes power though and 30psi around 5500RPM isn't terrible.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 4, 2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice, spool is surprisingly not that bad considering that turbo is HUGE! That turbo supports what 1000whp?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You just need to use DMA logging.

The stock ecu is considerably more advanced than the V2 AEM and would be comparable to the AEM infinity both hardware and software wise. Unfortunately, the OEM ecu doesn't have user interface software that can exploit the capabilities of the ecu.

The virtual dyno is about worthless at this level with the standard data logging rate. There is so much phase shift in that graph due to filtering, low sample rate, and computation method that the numbers are probably completely useless.

No doubt the car makes power though and 30psi around 5500RPM isn't terrible.
Id like to see hardware specs side by side. I think the AEM v2 is way more powerful then the stock ecu as far as processing goes. I would be surprised if it doesn't double or triple in memory, cpu power, and all the above that requires a computer to think and process data.

As far as being more powerful in regards to the vehicle itself and the ability to control the sensors and fail safes and all the actual coding in it, yes it probably is in that regard.

I use 9417 rom on my personal car, but could easily convert the car to 9653 with no issues, but i dont like the fact DMA cant be used regularly and requires its own programs to run / tune/log with.

You need that live mapping tool correct? Which from what I've seen was buggy the last time i played with it.

Actually considering I've tuned a lot of cars with vd and evoscan i can tell when somethings not legit or accurate these days and these results are not to far off at all or i wouldn't have posted them.

It has a lot to do with the computer being used to data log also. I get a lot more sample rates when i use a fast laptop vs slow. memory, cpu, hard drive, mobo, if all are quick there should be no issue keeping up even with evoscan.

Slow laptops such as netbooks make the graph look super smooth at smoothing 1, while on a faster machine the graph may look completely different and not smooth at all. That's why smoothing means nothing with VD, because we have no idea what computer its coming from. a smoothing of 6 should never be advertised though without showing a smoothing of minimal 2-3 to verify that result is not inflated and over smoothed to hide the spikes.

From what ive seen, DMA doesnt log even 50% of the data AEM can in a run.

In the perspective of stock ecu being more powerful in regards to the actual control of the vehicle and its sensors and all the fail safes it has, i agree.

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
very nice, spool is surprisingly not that bad considering that turbo is HUGE! That turbo supports what 1000whp?
Mivec helps a lot, the head is ported, The Mivec gear is modded, etc.

I believe its a 102lb/min turbo, so yes it should support 1000whp no problem with alot of boost. To reach that on this setup im guessing it would take somewhere around 60psi.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Saw the owner was selling this turbo now. Must not be very street friendly
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Not overly surprising, really I'm surprised people even use the likes of PT6466/6766 on 'street' EVOs... they are quite large turbos. The Super99 doesn't seem like a great match for a <94 octane 4cylinder to me.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I had the 6466 and it was great street driving
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 6466 is an amazing street turbo

Quick Reply: Evo IX The shop built 2.3L Super99 Magnus v5 E85 Wastegate pressure