Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

My dyno results stock turbo e85 388/472

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dyno results stock turbo e85 388/472

First of all, I am new to posting on this forum, so I apologize ahead of time for my noobie actions if I make any haha

My mods
Full 3" exhaust
Vibrant intake
Full short route intercooler piping
Nisei intercooler
Jacks built transfer case
AEM fuel rail
RC 1250cc Injectors
Fuelab fuel pressure regulator
ARP head studs
Cams
Halman boost controller
ACT Xtreme Duty Clutch
All work done by me.

31.2 psi e85 stock turbo tuned at 5,000 feet above sea level on a MUSTANG DYNO.

When I bought the car almost 4 years ago, I was under the impression that it was all stock and untouched. But the plate on the front of my block is shaved, and the VIN on my transmission traced to an evo 9 transmission. I have pulled off my oil pan and from what I could see, the rods looked stock. Are these normal numbers for a 2.0? Tq seems kinda high right? Would be nice to have some EXPERIENCED tuners chime in.

388/472
Attached Thumbnails My dyno results stock turbo e85 388/472-img_0344.jpg   My dyno results stock turbo e85 388/472-img_0345.jpg  
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Peak tq RPM seems early, Id suspect a stroker. Pull a spark plug and measure stroke. 88mm is stock, 100mm would be a 2.3/2.4, and 92mm (IIRC) would be 2.2l.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think it's stock motor or turbo.these are crazy numbers on mustang dyno.enjoy brother
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I'm hoping for your rods sake that your tq numbers are off lol that is a very dangerous amount off tq for stock block to handle. But IMHO those numbers have to be inflated that's over 500tq on a dyno jet and for your mods it's wrong unless like stated you have a stroker motor then it could be more likely
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
if they are still stock rods in it its a ticking time bomb
Old Dec 8, 2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Peak tq RPM seems early, Id suspect a stroker. Pull a spark plug and measure stroke. 88mm is stock, 100mm would be a 2.3/2.4, and 92mm (IIRC) would be 2.2l.
I was thinking/hoping the same haha I have never actually measured it like that, is there any way you could explain this a little better? Thanks!

Originally Posted by egis
I don't think it's stock motor or turbo.these are crazy numbers on mustang dyno.enjoy brother
Well, I know it is stock turbo, but the motor is kinda throwing me off, but thanks! It definitely pulls very nicely hahah

Originally Posted by DsmGuy86
I'm hoping for your rods sake that your tq numbers are off lol that is a very dangerous amount off tq for stock block to handle. But IMHO those numbers have to be inflated that's over 500tq on a dyno jet and for your mods it's wrong unless like stated you have a stroker motor then it could be more likely
The thing is, I know for a fact that the dyno is accurate. Mostly every single stock block/turbo evo I know that gets dynod/tuned here makes about 400/400. The day before I got tuned, two other stock turbo evos made about 390/390. I have seen way too many stories of guys bending/breaking rods because of the torque on these blocks and it is scary, but I am just confused because my tuner is known as THE BEST tuner in Colorado and he definitely knows what he is doing 100% of the time. He has tuned tons of evos, from stock to crazy power builds. He assured me that the tune was safe and that I could drive it hard and I would be fine. .... But the more I research and the more I read, it kinda makes me nervous sometimes. haha Regardless, I take his word and still going to have him tune me again when the time comes.

Originally Posted by todd6027
if they are still stock rods in it its a ticking time bomb
I really hope not! haha but I am pretty positive they are stock rods. I have put about 10k miles on my car since the tune and haven't had any troubles yet! ... I better go knock on wood.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sure he's a good tuner man but I just don't see a stock turbo on a 2.0 making that much tq even on e85 unless there is more to your car then you know. In which case you should be very happy I would just double check things cause that much tq that soon if they are stock rods and it really is making that much tq that block will have a skylight sooner then later my friend. Good luck and hope it works out in your favor
Old Dec 8, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Im assuming this is on Tobz dyno? And if you were on the dyno recently with these single degree temps im gonna say his correction factor is a little high. but i agree with others about the ticking time bomb. Most stock block cars will make 410lbft+ and because torque comes on so hard and early your rods are gonna hate life soon enough
Old Dec 8, 2013, 09:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon Robblee
I was thinking/hoping the same haha I have never actually measured it like that, is there any way you could explain this a little better? Thanks!
Pull a plug and drop a dowel in the hole. Turn the engine till its as high as it goes, then mark the dowel. Turn till BDC, mark the same way. Measure how far apart the marks are.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DsmGuy86
I'm sure he's a good tuner man but I just don't see a stock turbo on a 2.0 making that much tq even on e85 unless there is more to your car then you know. In which case you should be very happy I would just double check things cause that much tq that soon if they are stock rods and it really is making that much tq that block will have a skylight sooner then later my friend. Good luck and hope it works out in your favor

Yeah, me neither, that is why I posted this haha if something is done to the turbo, it fooled me because it is still in the stock housing, it has absolutely no shaft play at all as well. i just have a hard time seeing this as a 2.0 as well. All I can do is pray for my block to hold up for now! haha

Originally Posted by prockish_03evo
Im assuming this is on Tobz dyno? And if you were on the dyno recently with these single degree temps im gonna say his correction factor is a little high. but i agree with others about the ticking time bomb. Most stock block cars will make 410lbft+ and because torque comes on so hard and early your rods are gonna hate life soon enough

Yup Tobz dyno. But this tune was done several months ago in about 85+ degree weather. So far it has held up, but I agree. I need to tear it down to make sure. Because most guys I have seen keep the stock block at about 380tq and I have still seen rods get bent because of it.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Pull a plug and drop a dowel in the hole. Turn the engine till its as high as it goes, then mark the dowel. Turn till BDC, mark the same way. Measure how far apart the marks are.

Cool, thanks. I feel stupid for even asking you how to do that haha that was pretty self explanatory. I'll measure this soon if the weather warms up. What are the chances that the block is stroked with stock rods? Maybe a 4g64 with oem evo rods? I have pics from when the oil pan was off, I will post them when I get off of work later and maybe that will clear some confusion.

Thank you all for the replies!!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

That's a crap load of torque for stock rods.

Those torque numbers do seem over inflated. I made 392hp & 380 tq on e85 similar mods minus cams.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:55 AM

edited
Old Dec 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This seems very high.....I have yet to see this much torque on evom out of a stock 2.0 with any stock turbo.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
This seems very high.....I have yet to see this much torque on evom out of a stock 2.0 with any stock turbo.

What exactly are you trying to imply? The closest thing I have seen to this was some guy on youtube made 400whp and 522tq on a 2.3 stroker with stock turbo. The dyno is accurate guys, this dyno sees multiple Evos every single day of the week.

I'll end the confusion today by measuring stroke. It finally warmed up and isn't -20 degrees outside so I'll measure and post it later on today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Brandon Robblee; Dec 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Here are some Mustang Dyno results from a few years back from the 2.4 L stroker I had tuned on E-85.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-2-4l-e85.html

The turbo was an original style FP green. Not really much bigger then a stock turbo. Prior to this I was tuned on E-85 with the 2.0 L that made approx 390 wtq. I ran it that way for almost 2 years till the stock rod vented the block.....hence the stroker build. Wouldn't be surprised a bit if you are displacing more then 2 liters.
Good luck with that torque.

Quick Reply: My dyno results stock turbo e85 388/472