Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on these results and thanks for sharing. I'm temped to upgrade my bbk full now.

Originally Posted by mrfred
Stock, but with the Help spring mod. One half eyelet of overlap. Exact same configuration (in fact the same WGA and spring) that I used with my Green and the BBK Full. It took much less WGDC to acheive the desired boost at the higher rpms than it took with the Green or Full.
Could you explain this mod a bit more. What WGA and spring are you using and what do you mean by overlap?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised Chad has not commented on the great results.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hit the throttle at 2500 rpm. I think the difference is MIVEC+S2 vs no MIVEC+S3. The S2s are amazing for getting into boost at lower rpms.
I hadn't noticed the detail about your Evo being MIVEC. It makes sense what you say now in light of the MIVEC. Still, 30# by 3600-3800 RPM is quite an accomplishment with that size turbo on a 2L, with or w/o.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by R. Mutt

Could you explain this mod a bit more. What WGA and spring are you using and what do you mean by overlap?
Its one of the most ghetto mods ever, but it works great for increasing boost holding capacity without causing boost overshoot. Buy this spring kit:

http://www.finddormanhelp.com/Produc...=spring&page=9

The big spring from the kit goes as shown here. The hook on one end has to be trimmed about 0.25" to get it to hold properly on the WGA can. Its a really strong spring, so be careful when intalling it. And turn down WGDC or MBC a ton before retuning the boost.
Attached Thumbnails BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo-help-spring-mod.jpg  
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha! I'm glad I asked...that is awesome and completely not what I expected. Off topic but by the way the FIC 1100cc run like a charm and the car drives very smoothly around town. I modified the pump voltage at the same time and appreciate the recommendation.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
When could you expect it to hit 33 psi on a non - mivec motor? This seems to be the solution to my autocross/road racing days.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hello everyone-

I was waiting a while for people to respond to Mychailo's review before posting-

I always like to gauge peoples questions and post as much as possible before we do- because I do not have the opportunity to police the forum like we did 5 years ago- our workload in the shop simply prevents it (im in bed now responding- much to the wife's dismay lol)

I am happy to see the feedback from MRfred- because of his engineering side- we strive to produce a great product with our Technical Partners at BPT- and havent stopped trying to improve our brand (we have just this week finished the first truly 100% ball bearing OEM housing GTR turbos capable of 850+hp)-

as for the BBK-B-BB- I love this turbo- just like I love our BBX-BB evo X turbo- it provides great transient response, great overall power- and is EXTREMELY reliable- We have yet to have a failure come to us- (there is one in question- and the reliability is being commented on in a negative manner- which really upsets me personally)-

The last Ball Bearing Stock housing turbo we had fail was one of our two test units- and they CAN fail- in testing- that was almost 4 years ago now---

Regardless we would like to see the turbo mentioned before people comment on "reliability" as that has been one of our strongest attributes since day one.

On other notes-

I tuned a BBK-B-BB last week on E85 that made 488whp and 401wtq at only 26.8 psi on our Mustang Dyno- thats doing work in our opinion

The car could have easily made over 500 (it was on smaller S1 cams too) but its for hard track use and not daily driver- so it was on the conservative side-

Im glad people are enjoying our products and we will continually work to improve them- Mainly since the introduction we have done some SLIGHT tweaking to the blade contours and dimensions but overall sizes are all but identical-

I hope this helps-

CB
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^ Great input chad!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chad, good to know you are watching posts like this. Quick question about the reliabilty issues that seem to be out there. How would you handle a low milage turbo with damage like what has been experianced? These are expensive turbos, and I know I went with you guys over say a FP was because I believed in your track proved experiance.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hit the throttle at 2500 rpm. I think the difference is MIVEC+S2 vs no MIVEC+S3. The S2s are amazing for getting into boost at lower rpms.
Barring tuning differences, would you say the S2's spool faster than the Kelford 272's?

I ask because my spool it's slower than I like and I'm thinking of removing the kelfords.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Barring tuning differences, would you say the S2's spool faster than the Kelford 272's?

I ask because my spool it's slower than I like and I'm thinking of removing the kelfords.
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Kelfords. You might have better luck asking that question to some of the more experienced shops, but more than likely you'll have to try a different cam to know the answer.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1

your profile claims you have a evo x. R u asking about the evo 9 cam characteristics?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been wondering about how the HTA Green and BBK-B compare to each other. Now that M has put up this data, it's all but decided. BBK-B for me. I've been talking about my 2.3 for like 3 years, but it's finally gonna happen soon lol.

Evo goes off the road for open heart surgery this weekend and I'm picking up a 335i as a DD.

Chad, you shall hear from me in 6 months or so Gotta get the crank finished and yank the engine.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I've been wondering about how the HTA Green and BBK-B compare to each other. Now that M has put up this data, it's all but decided. BBK-B for me. I've been talking about my 2.3 for like 3 years, but it's finally gonna happen soon lol.

Evo goes off the road for open heart surgery this weekend and I'm picking up a 335i as a DD.

Chad, you shall hear from me in 6 months or so Gotta get the crank finished and yank the engine.
You won't be disappointed. I've been ripping around town the last few days, and its definitely a step up from the JB HTA Green in power and responsiveness. Sometimes I even find myself thinking that this is all I need.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Mychailo,

This will be my 4th turbo if you include the OEM unit. I am done with modifying my Evo after this. I think lol

Quick Reply: BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo