Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to put my .02 in.

I just hit 68,000 miles on my BBK-3B. Still running strong....
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I put a boost gauge pre and post throttle and I have seen greater than 10+ psi difference during part throttle conditions. Factor that into surge and target boost calcs. I always liked seeing what happens when you go up a hill and you're in a high gear keeping manifold boost low and pre throttle will be opening the wastegate. For a turbo that hits like this id be sure to tinker with that!

just to illustrate my point as well as others in this thread. sorry for the crappy video but you can see that even at part throttle the pre throttle boost is already hitting wastegate which is 15ish lbs during this Secondary air system test.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Apr 12, 2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
To add to the boost control discussion, I ran my first autox event on Sunday with this setup. It was a test and tune, and one element was a 55-60 mph slalom that went on for days. It 8 cones iirc, so plenty of time to develop a steady state rythm with fine throttle control. Doing the above mentioned changes and tuning, I have never had the car feel more controllable in that situation.

To add to the 3b discussion, this was also the first event in the dry with the new motor on the 3b. I ran the 3b on stock motor last year and it was a great autox setup, but there was noticable lag in really slow digs. With the new motor I also had lag out of a few digs, but that was because I was spinning all four Love this turbo!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL!!!

@ aaron-

cb
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I put a boost gauge pre and post throttle and I have seen greater than 10+ psi difference during part throttle conditions. Factor that into surge and target boost calcs. I always liked seeing what happens when you go up a hill and you're in a high gear keeping manifold boost low and pre throttle will be opening the wastegate. For a turbo that hits like this id be sure to tinker with that!

just to illustrate my point as well as others in this thread. sorry for the crappy video but you can see that even at part throttle the pre throttle boost is already hitting wastegate which is 15ish lbs during this Secondary air system test.

http://youtu.be/kB9Sr3YI8PQ
this is very interesting video. i have been running wastegate line from compressor outlet or lower I/C pipe for about ten years now. I did notice years back car felt faster on a manual boost controller with the signal line coming from the intake manifold. there is pressure drop at i/c so signal is not the same pre and post intercooler WOT. at that time I never considered part throttle effects. so there is actually three distinct boost signal locations with varied effects. manifold, upper i/c, and pre i/c.

but this video open my eyes to something else. BOV flutter at part throttle. with there being such a large diff pre and post throttle its no wonder the BOV cant stay on its seat.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
this is very interesting video. i have been running wastegate line from compressor outlet or lower I/C pipe for about ten years now. I did notice years back car felt faster on a manual boost controller with the signal line coming from the intake manifold. there is pressure drop at i/c so signal is not the same pre and post intercooler WOT. at that time I never considered part throttle effects. so there is actually three distinct boost signal locations with varied effects. manifold, upper i/c, and pre i/c.

but this video open my eyes to something else. BOV flutter at part throttle. with there being such a large diff pre and post throttle its no wonder the BOV cant stay on its seat.
Edited:

Yes you have to chose your reference according to what you are trying to accomplish.

I know you like the type s so I'm sure you've nailed your drivability

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Apr 18, 2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Edited

Last edited by sparky; Apr 20, 2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
so now you have driven it some. could you ever go back to plain bearing for a turbo this size?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
^^ That's a damn good question.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psushoe
Yes. I have an uicp with a bung to go speed density. I am still maf, so I put a tap in there for a vac line.
I went back to a softer spring and it solved most of the flutter. I only get occasional flutter in 3rd/4th around 3k rpm

Originally Posted by psushoe
With the new motor I also had lag out of a few digs, but that was because I was spinning all four Love this turbo!
I had similar experience @ ATCO. the car would hook up nice out of the hole, but as soon as I go to WOT, all 4 spin with a little sidestepping. I couldn't get better than 1.8 60'
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Slightly off topic...

I can upgrade my non-bb FP green to a bb red for $1800, seems high for a conversion which begs the question which way is the better route. BB red or BBB-K?

Goal is largest power band available on 93... With slight emphasis on spool.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
so now you have driven it some. could you ever go back to plain bearing for a turbo this size?
These last four weeks its mostly been raining, or I have been out of town, so unfortunately, I still haven't had any good chances to really rip through the gears to get a feel for the transient response. I suppose that means its not light years better than the JB BBK Full or Green. Still, I like it so much that I've already sold the BBK Full and HTA Green.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 18bora
I went back to a softer spring and it solved most of the flutter. I only get occasional flutter in 3rd/4th around 3k rpm

I had similar experience @ ATCO. the car would hook up nice out of the hole, but as soon as I go to WOT, all 4 spin with a little sidestepping. I couldn't get better than 1.8 60'
I made the change for part throttle control. I have not really had bypass valve issues, but it did seem a little better with the new vac line setup. Probably because there was less pressure in the pipe relative to the intake manifold.

I cut 1.6 60's last year during Pro Solos on un-prepped surfaces. That was with bbk on stock motor and Hoosier A6s. With my race tires on, I can go wot in 1st with reasonable control in a straight line. The 2nd gear all wheel spins are on corner exit where lateral g's are still present. I admit I was going outside the friction circle on purpose, because all wheel drifts are so damn fun
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we are using the new Tial QR-J's and they are super nice as far as release characteristics etc- anyone else try one yet?

just looking for 3rd party-

Thanks for all the other input everyone!

cb
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Good stuff sir! Glad you are loving the setup and love all the data!!!

Quick Reply: BBK-3B - my new favorite turbo