Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Built 2.3L FP Red S2 cams 104oct Sunoco 35psi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Heres a crazy one i did that had great spool in 3rd, but not apples to apples since its mivec.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...si-570whp.html

Honestly though , id almost expect that spool from this car. We will update what happens with his car here. Only thing going against this car is were not getting the cooling affect of ethanol since its sunoco 104.

ADD: lets not forget about weather temps how they affect spool also! < -- im referring to myself.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 30, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yea, I didn't mean 3rd and 4th were the same, I meant 3rd was the same or close with each final drive, and 4th was the same or close with each final drive. 4th will of course always be faster. Poor wording on my part.

4th is 36% taller than 3rd with Evo 8 ratios, while a 4.11 final drive is only 10% taller than the 4.53, so the final drive change probably doesn't have as large of an effect on spool as 3rd vs 4th does. Especially on the tiny stock housing.

I'm looking forward to results with his exhaust uncorked. Should be a monster. I really do wish I had mivec...lol

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 30, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Yea, I didn't mean 3rd and 4th were the same, I meant 3rd was the same or close with each final drive, and 4th was the same or close with each final drive. 4th will of course always be faster. Poor wording on my part.

4th is 36% taller than 3rd with Evo 8 ratios, while a 4.11 final drive is only 10% taller than the 4.53, so the final drive change probably doesn't have as large of an effect on spool as 3rd vs 4th does. Especially on the tiny stock housing.

I'm looking forward to results with his exhaust uncorked. Should be a monster. I really do wish I had mivec...lol
Yes this I agree with.

It also makes sense why a big turbo setup would make it seem like the 4.11 has such a bigger impact also in 3rd vs stock final drive in 3rd. It uses all that 10% up.

They say on our cars the 4th is the closest to 1:1

I didn't know the difference in % from stock FD vs 4.11 you just taught me something new

I will share its results once done. My only concern is the owner is new to this power, so i don't want him losing control of the car during this.

Yes I'm a huge fan of mivec also. I was tempted to do the conversion on my car on more then one occasion.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yea, tell him to be careful. The car will probably spin the tires through second once you're all done with it.

And yes, 4th gear is 1.031:1 in the 8, and 1.096:1 in the 9. Not quit 1:1 in the 9, but the 8 is much closer, which is why it's popular to switch to the Evo 8 3/4 ratios. Ratios for each trans on Jack's website..

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...on-gear-ratios

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jul 30, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Yea, tell him to be careful. The car will probably spin the tires through second once you're all done with it.

And yes, 4th gear is 1.031:1 in the 8, and 1.096:1 in the 9. Not quit 1:1 in the 9, but the 8 is much closer, which is why it's popular to switch to the Evo 8 3/4 ratios. Ratios for each trans on Jack's website..

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...on-gear-ratios
Ya Jacks website is awesome for calculations. I used that before for reference.

He needs to get the same tires I use. Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR. I cant even spin them in 2nd gear with 620wtq. It only spins in 1st. With 245/45/17, but it does rub alittle turning.

Here is his first pull where i took out a ton of fuel and didn't touch anything else.

Now ive got a lot of work to do with his AFR clean up and misc other things.

Powers going up though!
Next post I'll share final result. should be done in the next 30min or so.

We need to log IDC also, normally i give out a template setup for evoscan, but he is a old customer so i was just using what he had, but i have a feeling the IDC is up there also.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok injector duty cycle was to high, so I had to detune the car and of course clean that afr up downlow.

Heres the final graph for the car until we can get a bigger fuel pump in there.

A big improvement in spool. I'll show the before & after of the preload and 3rd vs 4th gear and 3rd by itself.

Preload before & after:

3rd vs 4th gear:

& 3rd by itself:

Temps were 86F during tuning and his IDC we ended up staying around 90%.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job on the tune Tom. Congrats to the owner, what a top set up he has, especially after addressing the actuator preload & resonator restriction. Was there much more exhaust noise after the modifications to the exhaust?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had no idea you were documenting everything in here while we were tuning haha, you're awesome! Thanks again. Definitely want to get a double pumper and a twin plate clutch as soon as I can to get everything out of this set up. Tonight went very smooth. Thanks as always for your awesome work and for finishing so fast!

I'm extremely happy with this car
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steveevoix
Nice job on the tune Tom. Congrats to the owner, what a top set up he has, especially after addressing the actuator preload & resonator restriction. Was there much more exhaust noise after the modifications to the exhaust?
Thanks buddy! After finding the neck down in my exhaust I just said for my 104 octane race gas tune from now on I'll get it tuned open down pipe, it was pretty loud without the rest of the exhaust off but whatever lol.. I need to look into a good exhaust system but importing it here sucks! Here's a video of it idling:

https://youtu.be/QsICmtLr0rs

Engine Bay:

Last edited by EvoIIIAj; Jul 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj
Thanks buddy! After finding the neck down in my exhaust I just said for my 104 octane race gas tune from now on I'll get it tuned open down pipe, it was pretty loud without the rest of the exhaust off but whatever lol.. I need to look into a good exhaust system but importing it here sucks! Here's a video of it idling:

https://youtu.be/QsICmtLr0rs

Engine Bay:
Hey AJ,

Sounds pretty good considering it's only idling & not flat-out mate, damn it must sound like thunder while you are getting tuned. Damn fine build as I've said before, especially now that you've had it built.

Yeah I know you're pain with bringing in gear from the US, it gets very costly. Maybe you can get a top muffler section to add onto the Ti exhaust sections without the restrictions.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steveevo9
Hey AJ,

Sounds pretty good considering it's only idling & not flat-out mate, damn it must sound like thunder while you are getting tuned. Damn fine build as I've said before, especially now that you've had it built.

Yeah I know you're pain with bringing in gear from the US, it gets very costly. Maybe you can get a top muffler section to add onto the Ti exhaust sections without the restrictions.

Thanks again man. I kinda like the aggressive sound to be honest. But not for 24/7 haha. The island is really small and behind, there's like one person on island who can weld titanium and he's only done it once lol.. I may just look into a new exhaust over the next few months. Right now priority is a Buschur Double Pumper and after that a twin plate! Probably an Exedy.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm simply stating what I have seen on my car. The 4.11 did not change boost threshold a lot if at all. It's hard to compare the characteristics of large open scroll 6466 that is begging for exhaust energy from our tiny 2.0L's to a tiny twin scroll housing on an fp red that gets overcome with back pressure at less than 6500rpm's. I'm going back to the stock final drive as soon as I get the gear set from TRE, so we'll see how it does.

Right now, on e85 in 3rd, my car does 20psi at 4k, 24.5psi at 4150 or so, 27 at 4250, 30 at 4350, 31.5 at 4460, and 32.5 at 4560 (peak boost). That's a street pull from 3,000-3,200ish rpm. I'll have to see if I have logs from the stock final drive. I deleted a bunch of stuff to clear up space on lappy, so Idk if I have them anymore...

Aaron just updated a thread where he tuned a built 2.3 on an SS fp red with R2 cams and stock final drive, the boost curve is about 200rpm's to the left of mine, and I have a ts housing.

The car in this thread is pretty close to the car Aaron posted, except it has a TS housing, not the SS housing. And its spooling up about the same, maybe a bit slower. The other difference is a ported head, which probably helps the other car. But the SS housing definitely isn't helping.
that's my car. I have 4.11 FD. I agree with Tom 4th with my 4.11 is like 5th with my stock gears. It forsure spools harder in third.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Swapping out my DBB FP Red for a DBB Black. Will still be using MHI housing but I do plan to switch to the new SS housing sometime later this year. I also got a double pumper and the FP Race Manifold ported by Curt Brown! Still on my FIC 1100cc injectors and stock coils, so let’s see how far they take me!