Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Fred's Evo 8 Stock Block FP Black GSC S3 CBRE ported everything e85 results at 36psi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Fred's Evo 8 Stock Block FP Black GSC S3 CBRE ported everything e85 results at 36psi

Here's another customers car that took a lot of patience and fine adjustments eliminating all bugs and mechanical issues before being able to safely push the setup to its true capabilities. (WGA failure, boost leaks, plugs etc)

Remote tunes are definitely very challenging, because you have to work with the customer to make sure everything is 100% in order to safely extract the true potential of the customers car.

At the same time, it is very beneficial for the customer if they want to learn their platform and be able to fix / repair their car themselves without any help. Looking at it this way, you get a lot more then what you pay for. I teach you how to fix problems on your car saving you shop labor + you gain knowledge at the same time.

Temps outside were mid 60F's.

The mods on this particular vehicle are as follows:

Stock Block
CBRE Ported head
CBRE Ported/Coated FP Black DBB
CBRE ported v1 ToxicFab o2 dump
CBRE Ported 70mm intake manifold /w 70mm FullBlown TB
CBRE ported exhaust manifold
GSC S3 cams
TSComp 4" SD intake
Tial Q BOV
Grimmspeed 3 port
ETS 3.5 fmic
FIC 1450cc injectors (87% IDC @ 11.7 afr)
Buschur double pumper
Tephra v7 speed density /w ecuboost

All major mechanical work / trans / engine install / etc, was performed by Scott / Badev0 on here. If any of my customers need someone to perform good quality work that is reliable and done right (clutch installs, engine installs, trans, timing stuff, etc) he is a good option for the Michigan area for your evo maintenance.

Graph of power:

As you can see, in order to keep the rods happy (not bent) we slowly ramped in the boost curve the higher RPM the engine was reved out to. The car starts low at just 24psi by 4200RPM, then ramps up to as high as 36.1psi by 7300RPM.

Boost control along with torque control allowed us to hit 600whp as safely as you can physically do it on the stock block. There is no better approach to it then whats displayed here.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for posting your graphs with boost and AFR. I have S3 cams and stock block and might eventually switch from 73 HTA Green to a Black. I tuned my car myself and seeing the torque curve you recommend as being safe and how you got there would be very helpful if tuning my own stock block car with a Black.

Hopefully someone gets you an HTA73 Green stock block car soon so I can see how you approach it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up

Great results! Tom, I've been noticing lately a lot more CBRE Ported heads with your customers. Its seems like the BR Stge 3 head and the CBRE Ported head are the way to go. Do you particularly favor either one especially running the S3's?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome numbers, I have a similar build in the works!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I don't see the point of running an FP black or red or really anything stock frame on a stock block if you have to safely control boost in order to not break anything.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
Thanks for posting your graphs with boost and AFR. I have S3 cams and stock block and might eventually switch from 73 HTA Green to a Black. I tuned my car myself and seeing the torque curve you recommend as being safe and how you got there would be very helpful if tuning my own stock block car with a Black.

Hopefully someone gets you an HTA73 Green stock block car soon so I can see how you approach it.
NP. I've tuned a lot of 73hta on stock block. I've tuned every FP turbo they make on stock block.

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Great results! Tom, I've been noticing lately a lot more CBRE Ported heads with your customers. Its seems like the BR Stge 3 head and the CBRE Ported head are the way to go. Do you particularly favor either one especially running the S3's?
Both are good. I don't favor one over the other.

Originally Posted by d-bo
I guess I don't see the point of running an FP black or red or really anything stock frame on a stock block if you have to safely control boost in order to not break anything.
Transient response time would be a huge key factor doing so. This cars transient response is nothing like our cars. They are night and day when driving around town.

The thing is though, once you drive a car long enough, you know how to drive the thing, so you stay within your powerband. Just change the driving style basically to suite the cars powerband.

This car if you hammered it down at 3k would be almost instant response, where as bigger turbo cars have a much much longer delay time.

Transient response would be the main thing here though for sure.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Very good point. Those are some of the things you forget about when looking at graphs and time slips all day Lol. The powerband looks to be similar on the graph but probably does feel much different on the street.
I have actually only been in one stock frame turbo car and it was a 2.3 with a black. And have never been in another Evo Lol
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Very good point. Those are some of the things you forget about when looking at graphs and time slips all day Lol. The powerband looks to be similar on the graph but probably does feel much different on the street.
I have actually only been in one stock frame turbo car and it was a 2.3 with a black. And have never been in another Evo Lol
Yep. They wont show on the graph or slips. Ya its a lot different because of the transient response.

A 2.3 and black is a really fun setup also. I personally do not mind the low end loss for the top end though. I think were the same when it comes to that.

The small turbos are really fun also. green and 71hta size turbos are extremely fun on the street because of how quick they spool, its instant response. For Road course (non time attack) or auto-x type stuff, I feel 71hta-green size are the best.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Also just so were on the same page, I do think this is not a good setup just for a 1/4 car for stock block. A larger turbo that delays the hit, and offers more top end with less boost (done more efficiently) would be the way to go!

So in 1/4 perspective, I think the setup is not that good. It is driven mostly on the street though, so the owner likes the response time of the fp black to recover in between shifts.

I prefer the 6266/HTA3586R for stock blocks & high HP.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom I'm impressed with this curve. I'll be needing a tune like this to keep my rods and my transmission happy. I've talked to a few tuners about this and none of them understood what I was trying to convey. We'll be in touch soon! Just need to get the head back from the machine shop lol
Old Sep 3, 2015, 04:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TexasLT4
Tom I'm impressed with this curve. I'll be needing a tune like this to keep my rods and my transmission happy. I've talked to a few tuners about this and none of them understood what I was trying to convey. We'll be in touch soon! Just need to get the head back from the machine shop lol
Thanks. At first we had it a solid flat torque curve over 400, but I let the customer know that what I would prefer would be safer, but slow the car down. He agreed to go the safer route, so i just controlled the tq curve as the Rpm increased.

This is easy to do with a 3 port.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I prefer the 6266/HTA3586R for stock blocks & high HP.
I'm a little confused here. In other threads you said that a turbo like the fp black would outspool the likes of a gtx3582r but here you say you prefer the hta3586r to the black? If we're talking about a fast quarter mile stock block/frame set up It seems to me that the fp black is one of the best choices?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Increased lag and not bending rods would probably be the main factor.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes what d-bo said is correct & his car is direct proof of that (read his signature)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Increased lag and not bending rods would probably be the main factor.
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Yes what d-bo said is correct & his car is direct proof of that (read his signature)
Ahh got it- makes sense. Interesting topic of discussion- how much tq at any given rpm is 'too much' on the stock block? ex: 370ft lb @ 3500?

I know the general rule of thumb is not to exceed ~400 ft lb at peak but now i'm wondering what's considering 'unsafe' down low?

Quick Reply: Fred's Evo 8 Stock Block FP Black GSC S3 CBRE ported everything e85 results at 36psi