Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 stock block Fp Htz Green SS housing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo 8 stock block Fp Htz Green SS housing

Evo 8 stock block
Fp Green Htz SS housing
Speed density tune on e85
1450cc low z injectors
Walbro 450 dual voltage rewire
Hks 272 cams
3" turbo back exhaust with fp manifold
Competition clutch stage 3
Vrsf 3.5" intercooler with Ets short route piping
Tial q bov

First here's a shot of a datalogs to show psi and rpms

Started pull at 2900 rpm. Reached 23.7 psi at 4000 rpm, full boost (31psi) at 4400 rpm

Here's a Virtual Dyno chart of the datalog above which Isn't a smooth graph so I included a run that was at 2 psi less boost and was at lower timing.

Here's a dyno graph at smoothing 1 of the lower boost/timing run above. As I said the blue line wasn't a good run as it varies nearly 20 hp from smoothing 1 to 6.

The following 2 users liked this post by nickelndime:
pangyau (Sep 18, 2017), Steveevoix (Nov 18, 2017)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for posting this up with a log. I've got an easy question for you, does this turbo want you to floor it from 3000rpm or would you say 4000rpm is a better starting point? I want to know of you think it has a "heavy feel" from early rpm.
The following users liked this post:
vmrevo9 (Mar 3, 2018)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 04:17 AM

Yes 3,000 rpm is too early if your looking for the car to start pulling right away. I'd say 3500-4000 rpms is a better starting point to get boost response right away.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by nickelndime
Yes 3,000 rpm is too early if your looking for the car to start pulling right away. I'd say 3500-4000 rpms is a better starting point to get boost response right away.
That's interesting. Looks very similar to my MHI red. But car is still fairly punchy (it's not in boost, but it doesn't feel completely dead either) in the 3000-3500 range in gears 1-3, so it's still fun on the streets.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That looks like you've turned a green into an MHI Red with less power. Hope you're happy, but frankly I don't get the SS housings on anything smaller than a Zephyr or Zero.
The following users liked this post:
EvoIX89 (Dec 4, 2017)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
That looks like you've turned a green into an MHI Red with less power. Hope you're happy, but frankly I don't get the SS housings on anything smaller than a Zephyr or Zero.
Eh, it looks really close to what I was able to push my car to before backing it off to keep the rods inside the motor. If he had the same cams we could make a better comparison.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Eh, it looks really close to what I was able to push my car to before backing it off to keep the rods inside the motor. If he had the same cams we could make a better comparison.
I appreciate you having an open mind and looking at the results instead of coming in biased like Erik seems to on every SS housing thread. I thought the numbers seem up to par with most mhi reds on stock block, especially since I only have the hks 272s. Also in these graphs im only running 26-28 psi up top.

I basically created this thread to show results to a few people that didn't believe my comments in another thread. Hopefully it'll help others that want to see some ss housing results.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
This is your remarks about your Red when you put the stock FD on.

"Response is amazing, and lag is almost not noticeable." I'm not sure the OP can make the same statement.

I appreciate you having an open mind and looking at the results instead of coming in biased like Erik seems to on every SS housing thread. I thought the numbers seem up to par with most mhi reds on stock block, especially since I only have the hks 272s. Also in these graphs im only running 26-28 psi up top.

I basically created this thread to show results to a few people that didn't believe my comments in another thread. Hopefully it'll help others that want to see some ss housing results.
Hey, I'm not trying to be a hater. And like I said before, I hope you're happy. If the single scroll lost a marginal amount of spool and made crazy power, I'd understand the trade off. But it looks like you lost 800 rpms of spool (Green typically spools at 4000 rpms on a 2.0) and a decent amount of responsiveness.

But all that matters is if you like it. From everything I've seen, an FP Red can make 650whp on the SS housing. But I don't know if I'd care about that 50whp if I lost the responsiveness of the MHI housing.

Looking forward to more HTZ Green/FP 57 turbo dyno plots and VD charts
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

This is your remarks about your Red when you put the stock FD on.

"Response is amazing, and lag is almost not noticeable." I'm not sure the OP can make the same statement.

Hey, I'm not trying to be a hater. And like I said before, I hope you're happy. If the single scroll lost a marginal amount of spool and made crazy power, I'd understand the trade off. But it looks like you lost 800 rpms of spool (Green typically spools at 4000 rpms on a 2.0) and a decent amount of responsiveness.

But all that matters is if you like it. From everything I've seen, an FP Red can make 650whp on the SS housing. But I don't know if I'd care about that 50whp if I lost the responsiveness of the MHI housing.

Looking forward to more HTZ Green/FP 57 turbo dyno plots and VD charts
I think the OP could just about say that. His boost curve looks quite similar to mine. It might just be a bit more lazy off boost, in the mid-low 3k rpm range. FWIW, my car needs to be above 4200ish if you really want it to go on a road course. On the street it's not a big deal, but when trying to shave tenths it's more noticeable. Transient response in my car is on point, but you can't infer that from a dyno graph.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:11 AM

I failed to mention it's a journal bearing so I'm sure that combined with the SS housing it might give up some transient response to a Mhi Red. When I purchased the SS Green it was half the price of a JB Mhi Red, so with my budget I was happy to loose a little transient response to get Mhi Red power and spool.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

I failed to mention it's a journal bearing so I'm sure that combined with the SS housing it might give up some transient response to a Mhi Red. When I purchased the SS Green it was half the price of a JB Mhi Red, so with my budget I was happy to loose a little transient response to get Mhi Red power and spool.
So, this is the HTZ Green with 56mm turbine?

THe JB HTZ Green is $1099. The JB FP 57 is $1699 with an MHI housing. I like your rounding.

Are you sure you don't want to pay $3,000 for an HTZ BB Red with a Xona center section and a ported to hell hotside with all the coatings? LOLOL

I don't think I'm a big bang for the buck guy. I'm a "Here, take my money kinda guy"

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Mar 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice.

Awesome #. Thanks for the info and mods. Impressive #'s.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:44 AM

So, this is the HTZ Green with 67mm turbine?

THe JB HTZ Green is $1099. The JB FP 57 is $1699 with an MHI housing. I like your rounding.

Are you sure you don't want to pay $3,000 for an HTZ BB Red with a Xona center section and a ported to hell hotside with all the coatings? LOLOL

I don't think I'm a big bang for the buck guy. I'm a "Here, take my money kinda guy"
I said at the time I purchased my turbo, which was in November. I purchased my turbo Black Friday for $999, that was before Fp got a batch of Mhi housings so MHI's were priced crazy, around $2,000. And the JB FP 57 was just released last week so that wasn't an option 3 months ago.

If I had the funds then no doubt, Im sure I could find a way to spend it but this turbo fit the budget. Heck It took me 13 years before I could afford purchasing the Evo lol.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by machoymaru
Awesome #. Thanks for the info and mods. Impressive #'s.
No problem man. Thanks for the compliment
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
nickelndime thanks for posting your results , I'm impressed with what that turbo could do on the top end. What is that turbo rated at lb/min?

Quick Reply: Evo 8 stock block Fp Htz Green SS housing