Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Need Vet Member Help About Old Tuner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Vet Member Help About Old Tuner

I'm hoping some of the more senior members here might be able to help me find out info (preferably contact path) to Al Friedman of Dyno Flash.

I recently purchased my Evolution VIII with claims of having been tuned and boasting a claimed 450 HP number from an individual.

I have spent a few following months repairing charge issues that were unknown to me at time of purchase to get the car consistently running. After getting the charge system fixed I had some data logs made from some street pulls and copied the rom and sent to a tuner a friend of mine had used for an E tune to review and see if it was worth having him retune my car.

Much to my surprise and anger I was told the car was one of the worst tunes he had ever seen and he thought it was extremely ill advised to even touch boost and that I needed it tuned ASAP even if I went to someone else.

I set up a dyno tune at Boostin Performance and had new bigger injectors ( 1120cc) instead of the oem ones and a fuel rail and a EBCS instead of my Hallman MBC installed at their advice and my car tuned from there.

The car runs great and has a beautiful tune now but is definitely not hitting 450 HP.

What I want to achieve is to reach out to Al Friedman and get the dyno sheet from when the car was supposedly tuned by him and review it and the numbers on it to see my next course of action towards the seller.

The issue is all I can find is the guy was apparently banned as a vendor and has been off the radar since some time around 2014 as far as I can tell.

I would appreciate any help or info you can offer
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
You think he still has your car's information after all this time? He was banned here for a reason. I'd stay far away, and not open 'Pandora's box'!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
You think he still has your car's information after all this time? He was banned here for a reason. I'd stay far away, and not open 'Pandora's box'!
I would imagine he would. If I were to be a tuner I would want to keep a log of every car I tuned so I'd know what I was responsible for and what I was not, just as I imagined Boostin Performance will always have my dyno long since I was there.

I need to get a copy of that sheet showing the previous owner was aware there wasn't 450 HP or a copy to show why he believed it was
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
You are where you are, and thats it. Why dwell on the past when the only place you can go is up? Its pointless to contact old tuners after you fixed their f'ups.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
He went on to tune the STI/WRX and was on NASIOC forums. Don't know if he still active there.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by lancerrally45
You are where you are, and thats it. Why dwell on the past when the only place you can go is up? Its pointless to contact old tuners after you fixed their f'ups.
Not so much about him as it is about a falsely advertised and sold car and the legal matter it presents
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Verlassene
Not so much about him as it is about a falsely advertised and sold car and the legal matter it presents
He could have easily meant HP at the crank or meant HP at the wheels. Many dynos read differently.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by evo8426
He could have easily meant HP at the crank or meant HP at the wheels. Many dynos read differently.
Not unless he is bonkers on his estimations. Boostin dyno was mustang dyno so I can add 12-15% to get rough BHP but it still won't add up.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Not unless he is bonkers on his estimations. Boostin dyno was mustang dyno so I can add 12-15% to get rough BHP but it still won't add up.
Typically a Mustang reads lower than Dynojet. Usually people add 12% to get it up to Dynojet numbers.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:00 PM

Typically a Mustang reads lower than Dynojet. Usually people add 12% to get it up to Dynojet numbers.
Exactly and I'm 330s on Mustang with a more stable fuel system and boost system then prior. This car was never hitting 450 as purchased. I need to prove that he knew.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly, exactly what? A Dynojet doesn't read at the crank. If Boostin Performance wanted to, they could manipulate the dyno to read any number that they desired. You are fighting a losing battle. I'm assuming you are on stock turbo. That should be enough to let you know that your car doesn't make 450whp. Pretty sure Al stopped tuning Evos around 2007ish anyway.

edit: I gotcha. The dyno must have been manipulated to see those numbers. It is sad but it happens fairly often to unsuspecting owners. Imagine how much good "gaining xx HP over so&so tuner" without actually changing anything but the dyno?

Last edited by evo8426; Mar 4, 2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:33 PM

That can be an incredibly difficult thing to "prove" he falsified numbers. I was built and tuned by boostin and made 442 whp on their dyno with 91 octane. But I live in colorado. So I threw the log into virtual dyno, setup the correction factor and boom I made over 500 whp on the exact same tune but now at 6200 ft and all I did was add a correction factor.

If he was e tuning all he has to do is punch in a correction until it gets the number you want. Also boostin's dyno is known to read very low even in comparison to other mustangs.

Good luck on your search!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:37 PM

Exactly, exactly what? A Dynojet doesn't read at the crank. If Boostin Performance wanted to, they could manipulate the dyno to read any number that they desired. You are fighting a losing battle. I'm assuming you are on stock turbo. That should be enough to let you know that your car doesn't make 450whp. Pretty sure Al stopped tuning Evos around 2007ish anyway.
I meant your statement confirms the same thing I'm saying meaning it's not possible that it hit those numbers with these mods. I bought the car listed as a 450 HP car running evo 9 turbo w/10.5 Buschur hot side. Being new to the Evo platform I assumed that that was probably as it also had full intake, exhaust, cams w/ gears and some other mods.

The original owner claimed that he and some other guys and flown this tuner in for a dyno day at another shop so I'm loathe to think dyno tampering. I've read his tunes can be **** but I doubt he lied about that much HP to a cx getting a sheet.

I'm aware I'm fighting a losing battle but it is one that deserves to be fought.

All I need right now is some help determining if this Al Friedman Dynoflash guy is reachable or possible deceased as a few articles pondered.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmchiz
That can be an incredibly difficult thing to "prove" he falsified numbers. I was built and tuned by boostin and made 442 whp on their dyno with 91 octane. But I live in colorado. So I threw the log into virtual dyno, setup the correction factor and boom I made over 500 whp on the exact same tune but now at 6200 ft and all I did was add a correction factor.

If he was e tuning all he has to do is punch in a correction until it gets the number you want. Also boostin's dyno is known to read very low even in comparison to other mustangs.

Good luck on your search!
You forgot to mention to the OP you made those numbers on a fp zephyr not a stock 9 turbo.

To the OP numbers are just numbers....the real test is at the track and what it traps. Do that first! Anyone here will agree with me...
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I meant your statement confirms the same thing I'm saying meaning it's not possible that it hit those numbers with these mods. I bought the car listed as a 450 HP car running evo 9 turbo w/10.5 Buschur hot side. Being new to the Evo platform I assumed that that was probably as it also had full intake, exhaust, cams w/ gears and some other mods.

The original owner claimed that he and some other guys and flown this tuner in for a dyno day at another shop so I'm loathe to think dyno tampering. I've read his tunes can be **** but I doubt he lied about that much HP to a cx getting a sheet.

I'm aware I'm fighting a losing battle but it is one that deserves to be fought.

All I need right now is some help determining if this Al Friedman Dynoflash guy is reachable or possible deceased as a few articles pondered.
Well you said you made 330 whp on a mustang dyno which could be about 370-380 whp on a dyno jet which translates to about 450 at the crank, so maybe that's what he was referring to.

Quick Reply: Need Vet Member Help About Old Tuner