Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Cerevo's 2.0 HTA71 GSC S2 budget build 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you disconnected the wastegate lines yet and tried driving it? Obviously be ready to lift but that will quickly let you know whether there is a problem with the turbo setup or the control system.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't unplug it but I kinked it and put 2 zipties down as hard as I could. This should keep any air from hitting the WGA at all. I took it out for a drive, still hitting 15 psi..

Im wondering maybe if my exhaust is clogged up or something. The Evo 4 turbo would hit 20+ psi but I never tried to turn it up past that, this turbo being larger will be able to flow a lot more air at a lower boost so what if in theory the E4 turbo was at its max already, I just didn't realize it....

I only have a resonator and a magnaflow muffler on the car, the rest of the exhaust is 3" DP to tip.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The 71hta should be able to spike 30psi fairly easily. There is definitely something wrong.

Are you sure the volute in the exhaust housing hasn't failed? Turbine wheel isn't damaged?

I know some of this may be repetitive, but, Quadruple check for boost and exhaust leaks. Makes sure the waste gate flapper is properly seating on the housing, and not broken and the arm isn't bent, etc. Is cam timing good? What intake pipe are you using? If it's a soft/silicone one, is it collapsing when the turbo spools up? Is your air filter collapsing? Is your intercooler clogged?

Have you called FP and gotten their thoughts on what could be going on?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
what boost gauge are you running?

as long as the tune is ok, you should make boost.

have you tried a different w/g actuator?

even with a oem w/g actuator & the line removed, & the turn buckle having to be pulled 1/2 the pins diameter, you should spike to 25psi easily.....the oem turbo will do that.

what bov are you running again?

as long as the tune is ok, the airfilter isnt plugged, exhaust isnt obstructed, turbo is in good health, bov ok, the only player is the w/g actuator & flapper.... if all is good, you should make boost.... hence my 1st question, what boost gauge are you using? does it match what your logs are showing?

oh, are you still running an aem ecu?

also, please verify cam timing. are you running cam gears? if so, what brand & what are they set to? can you quickly swap in the oem cam gears for a sanity check?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The 71hta should be able to spike 30psi fairly easily. There is definitely something wrong.

Are you sure the volute in the exhaust housing hasn't failed? Turbine wheel isn't damaged?

I know some of this may be repetitive, but, Quadruple check for boost and exhaust leaks. Makes sure the waste gate flapper is properly seating on the housing, and not broken and the arm isn't bent, etc. Is cam timing good? What intake pipe are you using? If it's a soft/silicone one, is it collapsing when the turbo spools up? Is your air filter collapsing? Is your intercooler clogged?

Have you called FP and gotten their thoughts on what could be going on?
The volute in this housing is perfect, I actually swapped it out because the hotside I was using was very chipped and cracked and I thought that was the issue.

I boost leak checked it at my parents' house with dad's compressor and that the thing held boost in the lines from 20psi for a little over a minute, very slowly dropping (which I would expect).

Again, this hotside was 100% perfect, I actually felt bad putting it on this turbo when I could've sent it to FP to have a bigger turbo made from it. I did visually inspect the flapper though and it seemed totally flat, the casting on the iron seemed flat as well, it also moved freely.

I do need to verify my cam timing, I had thought about that but since the engine seemingly runs flawlessly I dismissed it, I will check that though.

I'm using 2 4" diameter 90* spectre pipes (metal) and a reducer to 84mm cover. K&N filter, its kind of dingy looking but its the same filter I used on the Evo 4 turbo, if cam timing looks good, I'll yank the filter off and see if that's it.

I had not thought about the intercooler. That this is kind of a turd, I'm pretty sure it's an ebay one that's been on the car for the last, probably 10 years... I may replace it with a straight pipe (just for testing) and see if that's it too...

I haven't talked to FP yet, I figured I would make sure I have tried literally everything else before bugging them.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
what boost gauge are you running?

as long as the tune is ok, you should make boost.

have you tried a different w/g actuator?

even with a oem w/g actuator & the line removed, & the turn buckle having to be pulled 1/2 the pins diameter, you should spike to 25psi easily.....the oem turbo will do that.

what bov are you running again?

as long as the tune is ok, the airfilter isnt plugged, exhaust isnt obstructed, turbo is in good health, bov ok, the only player is the w/g actuator & flapper.... if all is good, you should make boost.... hence my 1st question, what boost gauge are you using? does it match what your logs are showing?

oh, are you still running an aem ecu?

also, please verify cam timing. are you running cam gears? if so, what brand & what are they set to? can you quickly swap in the oem cam gears for a sanity check?
It's an OEM Evo 8 WGA that I've straightened the arm out on. I did have to pull the arm out to get it on the flapper post so I know its got a good amount of preload on it. However, I haven't tried a different one. I did ziptie the flapper down but when I got back home it had melted open so I dont know if it actually held it shut when I got into boost or not.

I have a brand new GReddy Type S (not the junky RS) and yes, it was BRAND new, sealed box and all. The thing is perfect. when I did my boost leak test one of the things I do is cover the output of the bov to see if it puts any pressure between it and my hand, I got nothing on any test I've done.

Yep, the gauge matches what the AEM shows. Its an autometer cobalt boost gauge though.

To recap, I will check the cam timing, take the filter off, put a straight pipe in place of the IC to test, take the exhaust off after the downpipe, and try a different wastegate actuator. I'll report back what I find. Im hoping the IC is just clogged, cause that would really justify getting a good ETS
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

p.s. stock cam gears already on the S2's

Took the exhaust off last night, no change, going to try bypassing the intercooler tonight and verify cam timing.
If those dont work I am going to try actual wire to hold the WGA shut this time and see if that works.. If that doesnt, I guess I'll try to swap one of my many stock turbos on there and see if that fixes it and if it does call up FP.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
p.s. stock cam gears already on the S2's

Took the exhaust off last night, no change, going to try bypassing the intercooler tonight and verify cam timing.
If those dont work I am going to try actual wire to hold the WGA shut this time and see if that works.. If that doesnt, I guess I'll try to swap one of my many stock turbos on there and see if that fixes it and if it does call up FP.
Is it your daily driver ?

Thumbs up for perseverance .
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Not yet, I would like for it to be able to be at some point though.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Aby has been helping me with my tune and the car is running better than it ever has before, big thanks to him for that!!

The other day I went to a friend's shop and we wired the wastegate flapper shut with some steel wiring, and replaced the intercooler with a straight pipe. Neither one made any difference.
I am going to verify my cam timing one more time and if it proves to be good, I will swap to the stock turbo and see if the problem goes away with the HTA71. I guess if it does I'll be calling up Forced Performance.. :/
Old Apr 15, 2017, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Put the stock turbo back on today, as soon as I got into it a little bit and heard the bov go off it already sounded much different than it has. Then I got out on the highway and rolled into it... WOW! What a difference. It instantly hits 25 psi boost cut now. Monday I'm going to call FP and see what they'll do for me.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cerevo
Put the stock turbo back on today, as soon as I got into it a little bit and heard the bov go off it already sounded much different than it has. Then I got out on the highway and rolled into it... WOW! What a difference. It instantly hits 25 psi boost cut now. Monday I'm going to call FP and see what they'll do for me.
Congrats man. Glad you sorted out the problem.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hopefully FP makes it right for you now I'm want to know what would cause a turbo with no shaft problems to not spool up
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Told FP everything that I had done to test, they wanted to see the turbo so I boxed it back up and shipped it back to them yesterday.
Before I boxed it up I noticed a bit of oily residue around the compressor housing where it meets the backplate part of the CHRA.
Hard to describe, the flat piece the snap ring seals against between that and the compressor housing. Like boost had been pushed out around that.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Their is an oring their. May not have been sealed properly. That should've shown up on a boost leak test.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

You are correct, it should have. That wasn't the trouble though.

First off let me brag about the customer service of Forced Performance. I sent my turbo to them ground shipping on Tuesday, they got it this morning and within about 2 hours of me getting the confirmation it was delivered I got a call from them saying they found the issue and already had it boxed ready to ship back.

So I called Brian (at FP) back and he said that he had taken a look, read my letter I put in the box and thanked me for being so diligent about testing things to find the true cause of the problem (something he said few people ever do).

He said in most cases it is not the turbo but that was not true for mine. The issue was the wheel that was in my turbo was for a standard rotation housing, where the Evo is a reverse rotation housing. It's an easy thing to get wrong I would say. They are giving me a free Race Manifold and T-shirt for the trouble though.

He also couldn't wrap his head around how this thing made 13 psi being in the wrong housing and said they were going to make a FB post about it since it was such a unique issue to have. I'm pumped to see this turbo pushed to its limits on my built block. I'm hoping for 425 wtq and whp

I have to get some bigger injectors asap. My turbo should be back by Monday so Sunday I'm going to take the stocker off in preparation for that. I think at 350whp we're close to the max of my 510cc injectors.

Quick Reply: Cerevo's 2.0 HTA71 GSC S2 budget build 2016