Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 TSComptuned 2.3L Billet Sheepey 6466 Top mount GSC S3 - FiTronic

Old Jul 26, 2017, 02:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Evo 8 TSComptuned 2.3L Billet Sheepey 6466 Top mount GSC S3 - FiTronic

An interesting story comes with this full build we completed for Kyle. We completed the build and then
after tuning was finalizing and engine was broken in, I went to do the final oil change before we let the customer
know his cars ready and completed. To my surprise the dimple drain plug magnet we put on all our full builds
was coated with spikes and debri. I thought the worst, so I opened the oil filter up with our oil filter tool. Bad news
of course inside there.

So I dropped the pan, inspected bearings. Car was starting to chew up a main bearing. Why you ask? Well after going through
the entire vehicle we decided to clean the valve cover and guess what we find? Cup fulls of dirt/sand/debri. Kyle let us know
the valve cover was powder coated prior and he said that after it was installed shortly after the stock engine died as well.
We were going to perform a valve cover fitting mod, but then we decided not to. If we had done this we wouldnt of had the issue
we had with the debri in the cover because it would have been thoroughly cleaned out.

Well now we know the cause of failure, but what do we do being the shop that assembled the car? I talk to Kyle for a bit
and I decide to help him the best i can. I decide to tear the car down and do all labor free. So Kyle received 2x full builds
for the price of one. Even though Kyle offered to pay labor, I insisted him not to due to the fact I felt bad and I didnt want
him to get bit by the valve cover for a 2nd time.

Kyle agreed to pay for parts and I covered all labor on my end entirely. I wanted to share this because there are a lot of
shops who wouldn't have done the same thing given the circumstances especially when the customer admits fault on their end
and offers to pay like Kyle did.

Mods are:

TSComptuned Billet 2.3L (Manley billet crank, rods, wiseco HD pistons)
TSComptuned/McCarty Ported Cyl head
TSComptuned/McCarty Ported 65mm TB
TSComptuned/McCarty Ported intake manifold
Sheepey top mount vband turbo kit
Sheepey lower ic piping
PTE 6466 .82 AR
GSC S3 cams
FIC 2150cc
muse upper pipe
3 inch exhaust
Perrin FMIC 3.5"
tial q bov
FiTronic /w hybrid 2-stage boost control

We are also in the process of moving into a larger facility and will have a Mustang Dyno on premises. New shop will have rooms for each service we offer as well, such as porting, engine builds, detailing, etc.

E12 to E60 Fuel mix below: (results are conservative now until the customer adjusts to the car) 33psi produced 691whp

Pics of car:

There's much more in this car of course, but we wanted to keep it conservative for now for the owner to adjust to.
The following users liked this post:
Steveevoix (Nov 18, 2017)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Props for you offering labor free build even though it wasn't your fault . Most would've just said SOL.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
That right there is how to get repeat customers and more customers. Shops need to pay attention. Good job!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Bravo Tom!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that's pretty freakin admirable man, says alot about yourself as a person, i respect it alot!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
now that's what I call customer service!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
How does the spool of the Top mount kit compare to the 'usual' stock placement or forward facing manifolds ?
I've always liked the look and layout of the Top mount kits but wondering if they do trade spool for high end power as pipe length theory suggests...

Good luck for the new shop - your results, knowledge and customer service are sure to lead to great success
Old Jul 28, 2017, 03:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks everyone. Appreciate it. I do similar things like this often but I do not share them. I thought id share this since I wanted to share the cars results and had to mention it since it was a long build. Glad I shared the back story. I didn't realize it would get a lot of good publicity like it did.

Extreme-eg The top mount kit doesn't seem to really affect spool or anything. It does look really neat, and its easy to maintenance if you need to remove the turbo.

It also lets you run a full size radiator. This cars using an STM billet radiator we purchased for it, and it is one of the nicest radiators i've ever seen for an Evo and works flawless.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 06:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everything that comes out of that shop if Flawless.
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Aug 7, 2017)
Old Aug 6, 2017, 04:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you replace the oil cooler?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 01:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
im confused?...
"Cup fulls of dirt/sand/debri."

Like literally cups of sand in the engine? how? stuck behind baffles on the valve cover?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ians06
Did you replace the oil cooler?
Deleted it 2nd time until customer installs his new cooler.

Originally Posted by EV09AWD
im confused?...
"Cup fulls of dirt/sand/debri."

Like literally cups of sand in the engine? how? stuck behind baffles on the valve cover?
Not cups, just being exaggerated, but honestly enough to fill a Dixie cup half way almost. Pretty large amount! It looked like gravel / sand / mud like material. It was also gritty. It was from when the powder coated blasted the cover like bead material / glass.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Props to Tom's customer service.

That's one good looking engine bay, seriously clean set up OP.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Very nice results Tom.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
wow so nice. and good to see a top mount can be done with a full rad, showing pics to fab guy now lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo 8 TSComptuned 2.3L Billet Sheepey 6466 Top mount GSC S3 - FiTronic