Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

HELP!!! New build evo 8 2.4 cranks won’t start tried everything

Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry HELP!!! New build evo 8 2.4 cranks won’t start tried everything

Help please!!!!

I resently just finished building my house 2.4L evo 8 and went to go start it and it cranks but I’m getting no spark and no fuel into the cylinder. I removed my one fuel line my fuel is pumpin I have pressure in my rail. Reading all the forums I read the crank position sensor could cause this so I swapped it out for a new one and still just cranks. Could my timing be off and causing this? I checked my fuses under the steering colum all are good and same with the ones in the engine. Is it possible it’s the immobilizer? If anyone has any information thanks. My nearest tunnee shop is 3 hours away.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The ecu needs the crank and cam (in phase) sensor signal to do the business.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 09:56 AM

So timing is off then? I’m getting no spark at all when I hold the plug to the valve cover
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

if it was just timing being off i would expect you would still see a spark, just at the wrong time. So check that its getting a cam signal. Also make sure everything is good with your ignition circuit, are you getting battery voltage at the coil harness?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:23 AM

I’ll give that all a try when I get home from work here they are new coil packs I’ll swap the old ones on while I’m at it too
Old Mar 12, 2018, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you have your crank sensor installed correctly?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Also could be your immobilizer if you switched ROMs
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:02 PM

Is there any way to check if it’s installed correctly without taking off the lower cover?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd definitely give the crank sensor and trigger plate a look and make sure they both installed correctly/oriented correctly.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 06:10 AM

unless OP rewired his fuel pump, the ECU will not prime the fuel pump without a crank signal. So if he is getting fuel but no spark that would make me lean further on the cam sensor because thats what gives the ecu its ignition timing signal. Also just to eliminate it, i would disable the Immobilizer and see if thats the problem since its so quick and easy to do.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
unless OP rewired his fuel pump, the ECU will not prime the fuel pump without a crank signal. So if he is getting fuel but no spark that would make me lean further on the cam sensor because thats what gives the ecu its ignition timing signal. Also just to eliminate it, i would disable the Immobilizer and see if thats the problem since its so quick and easy to do.

immobilizer disabled went into the lower timing cover and crank plate and sensor all look fine. I ordered a new cam angle sensor but shouldn’t it be showing a code if it were that? I also have an aftermarket alarm system could that be causing it
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by harrison.little

immobilizer disabled went into the lower timing cover and crank plate and sensor all look fine. I ordered a new cam angle sensor but shouldn’t it be showing a code if it were that? I also have an aftermarket alarm system could that be causing it
Can the alarm remote start or is it a regular arm/disarm for the doors? If it can't remote start I doubt it was wired to kill ignition. Either way it would probably go off if you did try to start it. (Siren that is)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by zuppy
Can the alarm remote start or is it a regular arm/disarm for the doors? If it can't remote start I doubt it was wired to kill ignition. Either way it would probably go off if you did try to start it. (Siren that is)
Alarm came with the car when I bought it. Must be a remote start because it has a fob for it. The fob doesn’t work though can hit all the buttons on both my stock and new fob and get nothing.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 03:47 PM

Took my cam angle sensor out it was covered in oil and chipped probably from putting the engine back in maybe. Should I clean out the hole.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by harrison.little
Took my cam angle sensor out it was covered in oil and chipped probably from putting the engine back in maybe. Should I clean out the hole.
No, the cam angle sensor sits in the cam sensor housing facing the reluctor wheel which is exposed to oil internally while the engine is running anyway. I would make sure that the reluctor wheel that is bolted to the end of the camshaft (camshafts if mivec) corresponds to TDC when the cam is at TDC. You might also have to check the resistance across the terminals of the CAS to see if it is still good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!! New build evo 8 2.4 cranks won’t start tried everything