Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Bought a used shortblock - let’s see what it’ll do...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmurray
So dropped the car off yesterday. Instead of wasting time with a simple hand port, I’m going to save for a headgames or 4P head. So going to have the new manifold, s3 cams, new lifters installed and see how it does.

Should have it back in a week!
You may also want to check out BZE Cylinder Heads. They are located in Denver, North Carolina.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I would hands down send it to head games. Can't beat their price, service, and quality of work.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmurray
So dropped the car off yesterday. Instead of wasting time with a simple hand port, I’m going to save for a headgames or 4P head. So going to have the new manifold, s3 cams, new lifters installed and see how it does.

Should have it back in a week!
good stuff, should see really good gains up top with the car being able to breathe better
Old Jan 25, 2019, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Head Games and 4 piston full port job is about the same pricing.
Head Games hand ports their heads, 4 piston CNC ports theirs.
It is impossible for any human to consistently achieve the equal flows that can be achieved on CNC port.
Im not saying headgames heads don’t flow more but consistency probably won’t be as good.
food for thought.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
Head Games and 4 piston full port job is about the same pricing.
Head Games hand ports their heads, 4 piston CNC ports theirs.
It is impossible for any human to consistently achieve the equal flows that can be achieved on CNC port.
Im not saying headgames heads don’t flow more but consistency probably won’t be as good.
food for thought.
Conversely, the CNC machine can't account for core shift, so just like every casting isn't the same, every CNC head isn't the same. Hand porting can account for core shift and manipulate the port into the shape they want. I've seen CNC ported heads where in one head, part of the port is touched, and in another head it's not. Everyone in the cylinder head world will tell you that CNC porting a factory head is about speed and cost, not consistency.

Obviously this is different if you're CNC'ing a head from a blank billet, or from a casting that intentionally has ports that 1/2 the size they're supposed to be because they're meant to go to the cylinder head guy and get hogged out exactly the way they want it (typically called a porters casting)..
Old Jan 25, 2019, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Everything installed and buttoned up. Shop pulled turbo to inspect. Found some oil in the compressor housing along with damaged exhaust wheel. So going to have it sent out and inspected/rebuilt. Someone in another thread mentioned trying the Turbosmart turbo oil pressure regulator. However being that my turbo has a built in restrictor, will it do any good?

some pics:

Old Jan 26, 2019, 02:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Who did you end up using for the headwork?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
Who did you end up using for the headwork?
i mentioned earlier that I was going to wait and just save for a headgames or 4P head
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, even though the turbo has a built in restrictor, it's design around receiving only about 40psi of oil pressure. My setup, no regulator, just a .020" restrictor on the feed line from the head, the turbo was still seeing 30psi at 5500rpm. BB turbo really only need 10-15psi to live.

Whoa, that turbo def ate something.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

Whoa, that turbo def ate something.
Yeah pretty sure it’s from when my spark plug tip blew up at the track last time.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Umm. That's not good. You need to have your tune looked at, specifically the timing curve, you may have too much in the midrange. Sparkplugs don't just come apart for fun. Knock or possibly even pre-det is what causes that. My clients car with a 2.2/6466 setup never breaks plugs at 44-45psi, and it makes 25-30psi on the 2step. It's certainly not a nanny tune.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Umm. That's not good. You need to have your tune looked at, specifically the timing curve, you may have too much in the midrange. Sparkplugs don't just come apart for fun. Knock or possibly even pre-det is what causes that. My clients car with a 2.2/6466 setup never breaks plugs at 44-45psi, and it makes 25-30psi on the 2step. It's certainly not a nanny tune.
its the first time it’s ever happened and he think it was a clogged injector possibly that caused it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Did you send the injectors out and track which one came from which cylinder to confirm that?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Conversely, the CNC machine can't account for core shift, so just like every casting isn't the same, every CNC head isn't the same. Hand porting can account for core shift and manipulate the port into the shape they want. I've seen CNC ported heads where in one head, part of the port is touched, and in another head it's not. Everyone in the cylinder head world will tell you that CNC porting a factory head is about speed and cost, not consistency.

Obviously this is different if you're CNC'ing a head from a blank billet, or from a casting that intentionally has ports that 1/2 the size they're supposed to be because they're meant to go to the cylinder head guy and get hogged out exactly the way they want it (typically called a porters casting)..
that’s your opinion. Mine is different. They center/home the head off the valve guides. If the core was to shift a lot they would break into the water jacket. Since the program is referenced in relationship too the guides, each port is identical to the next. A human CANNOT possibly be as consistent as a CNC period. This relates to more even AFR ratios for each cylinder, which at high boost can be a huge problem. So unless your fine tuning each cylinder individually for AFR, then I would go with a CNC port. I’m pretty certain Head Games isn’t sonic checking every head for core shift or wall thickness.
M2C
Old Jan 29, 2019, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

The main reason there’s still a lot of hand porting going on is the huge cost associated with buying the equipment and hiring programmers.
If hand porting was the best way to do it NASCAR and all the other high end race engines would still be hand porting, but they are not. The most they do nowadays is smooth things out a bit after the machining work is completed.

Quick Reply: Bought a used shortblock - let’s see what it’ll do...