Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Red SS Housing Results, might want to go Green...

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FP Red SS Housing Results, might want to go Green...

Mods:
Kelford 272 cams
GSC valvetrain
Buscher CC
FP manifold (at the time, I have a custom tubular now)
FP red SS JB
FP o2 housing
38mm Tial WG
ID1000s
EGR delete
ETS FMIC kit and piping
Forgot the brand of DP, but I think it was Invidia and we had to weld the new FP bung to mate to the O2 housing

Results are below DynoJet, 92 Octane, we had a 497 whp run, but as you can see on the dyno, it kept spiking at the very end, we swapped back to a MBC and had to road tune to like 24 psi~

So I bought the FP JB Red and all the fixings during their black Friday sale, figured green wasnt big enough for me and black was too big, wanting to stay stock block.

Was told SS spooled later, but nothing crazy, driving around town I feel like nothing happens til like 5-5.5k~, seemed like big turbo spool to me :-/

I am debating on trading it in for a FP green SS, I would love to go MHI, but I would have to switch everything (o2 housing, possible downpipe, etc)

Driving around the country roads/hills was literally no fun. The power it made was awesome, but it made the car less fun to drive, imo.

Is my lag tune related or should I just bite the bullet on a new setup?

Any advice would be great..
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:48 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've read the SS housing turbos react like the "next size up" in terms of MHI. I.E. Green spools like Red, Red spools like Black, etc. The MHI red was on the fence for me... a bit on the "lazy" side (for my preference, not as a rule), so I can imagine the SS Red being less than fun for regular driving. Between the housing, your tubular manifold... I can see how it would seem less than responsive. If you are running a large FMIC, that wouldn't be helping, either.
I wasn't even really happy with my MHI Green, to tell the truth. But this is after having crazy fun with an HTA71, so I had different expectations. All on a stock shortblock, of course.
I've never been a fan of larger turbos on stock shortblocks, due to not being able to take advantage of the additional torque once they are cranked up. We get all the lag, none of the benefits (other than a dyno number). I felt this with a 30r and FP Green.
Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the results, though. That's a bummer, but I totally get it.
I wonder why, with the popularity and desirability of the MHI housing, FP didn't design/build with that in mind, instead of going this route.
I bet you could sell off all that FP stuff and buy MHI parts while at least breaking even. I'm back to a stock turbo and loving it, if that gives you any motivation LOL.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I really wish I went with the 71HTA, or ran my buddies beef to **** Evo 9 turbo that he builds, 'Tyler Genari

Would have had way more fun and still be in the 400 whp on pump range
Old Aug 19, 2018, 01:48 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Rob_STI_PNW
Yeah I really wish I went with the 71HTA, or ran my buddies beef to **** Evo 9 turbo that he builds, 'Tyler Genari

Would have had way more fun and still be in the 400 whp on pump range
I hear that. I had the Ti/Al HTA71 which was based off the VIII turbo, so I didn't have the peak numbers some people had... but the response and spool were f**king awesome. Every day, I regret selling it to buy a Green (which blew up in under 1,000 miles, anyway). I want to say it did around 430whp on a conservative build/e85 and around 360ish on 91. I'm having so much fun just driving and NOT working on the car, since putting in the stock turbo, but I intend on another HTA71, once I decide to get over the fact the price went up $100.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Id be really happy with 400 whp on pump (92)
I made 380 whp on stock 05 turbo
I also made 350 a year later cause of a boost leak lol
Old Aug 19, 2018, 04:42 PM
kaj

Id be really happy with 400 whp on pump (92)
I made 380 whp on stock 05 turbo
I also made 350 a year later cause of a boost leak lol
Nice. You have some amazing pump gas ,compared to CA. LOL
That and all my stock parts hurt my peak numbers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Getting a 20g with some FP bits in it from my buddy Tyler, bnib 1200 with head to turbo oil feed line (bigger than stock)

hopefully ill break even lol
Old Aug 20, 2018, 05:46 AM
kaj

Getting a 20g with some FP bits in it from my buddy Tyler, bnib 1200 with head to turbo oil feed line (bigger than stock)

hopefully ill break even lol
Awesome! I figured it should more or less work out. I have an HTA71 in my shopping cart.... haven't clicked the "pay" bottom yet, though...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
HTA 71 with aggressive cams and E85 is an awesome street set up. I'm loving it. That being said with MHI housings now available again, I'd be curious to see how different the MHI FP Green would feel.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 07:51 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by revhappy
HTA 71 with aggressive cams and E85 is an awesome street set up. I'm loving it. That being said with MHI housings now available again, I'd be curious to see how different the MHI FP Green would feel.
It was okay. I had noticeable lag compared to the 71. Definitely not as fun/spirited. I had more fun with the 71.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Damn, seeing people unhappy with the spool of a MHI green makes me hesitant about going MHI red. Lol
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Damn, seeing people unhappy with the spool of a MHI green makes me hesitant about going MHI red. Lol
It comes down with what you want, a lot of people love the FP red SS spool, but I hate it, the only nie thing is the peak number

Im going green mhi, and if I can swing it, E85 for all the funs
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:36 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Like Rob_STI_PNW said, it's all about what you want. Most people are after dyno numbers. The Red will get you that. Some of us are a little weird and different, and dyno numbers are only a result of how we want our cars to drive. So, don't be discouraged! Personally, I like my car responsive, quick, and "right now". I'm definitely in the minority. I never recommend people go my route because it's kinda unpopular. You should see people's reactions when they get in my car, though. It's hilarious They can't believe my WHP numbers and that my car is mostly stock. LOL. Freeway pull are pretty boring, though.

Im going green mhi, and if I can swing it, E85 for all the funs
It's a good compromise, IMO. I went with it to reduce back pressure & heat at the track. Looking back, I wouldn't do it again, but it definitely had it's benefits. I'd probably still have it, had it not blown up on me
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

I got id1000s and a wally 255, wonder if its enough to skim it on e85
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:59 AM
kaj

I have 1050s and looking to eek out 430 on the 71. I think my supporting mods will fight me on it, though . Fingers crossed.

Search this Thread