EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Dyno Tuning / Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results-299/)
-   -   e85, green, stock block, safe? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/410332-e85-green-stock-block-safe.html)

str8kor Mar 30, 2009 05:10 AM

e85, green, stock block, safe?

i am running fp green on stock block with supporting mods, only engine mod is headstuds. im thinking about opening up the turbo and raising boost with e85. i was just wondering if the stock motor can handle 25-28psi?

SEEnoEVO Mar 30, 2009 05:13 AM

This had been done numerous times on Evos!! You should be fine. {thumbup}:beer::mitsu:

JakeTheVIII Mar 30, 2009 07:46 AM

Yea, you have headstuds. Should be fine.

AWD_Terror Mar 30, 2009 08:10 AM

Are headstuds even needed for that power requirement?
I would assume you would be fine as long as you have the supporting fuel mods and tuning.

JakeTheVIII Mar 30, 2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by AWD_Terror (Post 6873693)
Are headstuds even needed for that power requirement?
I would assume you would be fine as long as you have the supporting fuel mods and tuning.

Needed? Maybe not. Safety precaution though. The way you learn that you needed them is when your headgasket goes or worse...

Spoolin69 Mar 30, 2009 10:19 AM

It is better to be on the safe side rather than the other way around.

-Shane

Epix_ Mar 30, 2009 10:57 AM

Diiirk had a Green with supporting mods on e85 for a while and ran 10.72 @ 127. I don't think he has head studs. Well at least his mod list doesn't say so. From my experience as a technician for 5 years and based on what I've read, for the power you'll be making with a green and e85 I really don't think head studs are a necessity. On top of that, not having them is like a fail safe. If you have head studs and for whatever reason you start to have pre detonation, whats going to happen when a piston starts to compress air and fuel thats burning and expanding in the combustion chamber? You'll be producing some serious heat and you're going to bend a rod or bust a hole in the side of your block. On the other hand with the factory head bolts in the same scenario, they'll stretch, you'll lift the head and all you'll have to do is replace a head gasket and clean up a small mess. I honestly can't justify doing head studs unless you plan on producing upwards of 28psi on a turbo at least the size of a red or unless you have the head off already and its just plain convienient to do them. If it ain't broke, why mess with it?

AWD_Terror Mar 30, 2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin69 (Post 6874327)
It is better to be on the safe side rather than the other way around.

-Shane

to my knowledge 4G's arent really in need of headstuds for the little HP a Green is gonna make. You can push it hard and make more HP, but again, I just dont think its needed on this motor. If I had a reason to take the head off, then id prob do a set to have em though.

Creamo3 Apr 2, 2009 08:46 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ease-read.html

blueprint Apr 2, 2009 10:07 PM

it's all in the tune. i can't emphasize this enough.

packed Apr 2, 2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint (Post 6892430)
it's all in the tune. i can't emphasize this enough.

x2. Find a reputable tuner that knows what he's doing and you'll be straight with what you have.

JohnBradley Apr 2, 2009 11:42 PM

I had no issues with my Green on E85 and a stock bottom end at 31psi.

krisdlm Apr 4, 2009 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII (Post 6874294)
Needed? Maybe not. Safety precaution though. The way you learn that you needed them is when your headgasket goes or worse...

like other have said and imo, head studs are cheap and reliable, get'em and you won't be sorry!

Dragking2189 Apr 4, 2009 10:25 AM

IMO, you should get headstuds they are only 200 or so not sure, it's a way to stay on the safe side , arp headstuds is one of the first mods i ever didi to my car , and they will aslo prevent lifting your head.

krisdlm Apr 4, 2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dragking2189 (Post 6897687)
IMO, you should get headstuds they are only 200 or so not sure, it's a way to stay on the safe side , arp headstuds is one of the first mods i ever didi to my car , and they will aslo prevent lifting your head.

i have the headstuds & rod bolts, is there anything else (main studs)