EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Dyno Tuning / Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results-299/)
-   -   Evo 8 - Built 2.0L GTX3584RS S3 93 & E85 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/743178-evo-8-built-2-0l-gtx3584rs-s3-93-e85.html)

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 12:09 AM

Evo 8 - Built 2.0L GTX3584RS S3 93 & E85

Nice little Evo 8 we remote dyno tuned. Anyone that wants remote tuning but doesn't want to do it on the street or travel to get it done this is your best option. We work with a lot of dyno facilities and remote tune on a daily basis worldwide.

Results are 93 oct and E85. Car had more in it on e85, but we kept boost around 40psi.

93 boost was 27psi.

Dyno is a 424x dynojet.

Mods:

Built 2.0L
Garret gtx3584rs turbo vband .83 A/R
Gsc s3 cams
ID2000
2.5" ic piping
Tial Q BOV
Buschur Street FMIC
Buschur Double pumper
Grimspeed boost contoller
Tephra v7 Speed density /w ecuboost

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...51f002beb5.jpg

extreme-eg Sep 7, 2017 12:35 AM

Finally some GTX3884RS data. Doesn't look any better than the "garden variety" GTX3582R in either Gen 1 or Gen 2 guise in my opinion.

Pity you don't have a plot with rpm Tom - are you able to give some insights into the boost curve ?

Is there anything holding the setup back ? I would've just expected more peak horsepower considering the 40 psi boost level if you compare it to some of the 6266/S3 cars you've done its nearly 100whp short.

ronaldo9 Sep 7, 2017 05:26 AM

Was this the twin scroll setup or t3 version?

Abacus Sep 7, 2017 08:17 AM

Nice work Tom. Can you ask for the dynograph in rpm and 0-3 smoothing? It would be nice to know the boost threshold and how smooth the engine is running. Torque would also be nice .

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by extreme-eg (Post 11770330)
Finally some GTX3884RS data. Doesn't look any better than the "garden variety" GTX3582R in either Gen 1 or Gen 2 guise in my opinion.

Pity you don't have a plot with rpm Tom - are you able to give some insights into the boost curve ?

Is there anything holding the setup back ? I would've just expected more peak horsepower considering the 40 psi boost level if you compare it to some of the 6266/S3 cars you've done its nearly 100whp short.

I'll post raw logs of the boost and rpm shortly.

Originally Posted by ronaldo9 (Post 11770342)
Was this the twin scroll setup or t3 version?

T3 probably but ill ask customer. I tuned it without seeing the engine bay of the car.

Originally Posted by Abacus (Post 11770395)
Nice work Tom. Can you ask for the dynograph in rpm and 0-3 smoothing? It would be nice to know the boost threshold and how smooth the engine is running. Torque would also be nice .

Smoothing doesn't prove anything on stock ecu because stock ecu false knocks sometimes and causes timing to move around.

Car runs smooth. Timing is 100% where it needs to be for stock ecu and this setup.
Even tire pressure affects the smoothness of a graph on rollers. I prefer a mustang dyno for tuning a car honestly when using both back to back.

I will put some raw logs for RPM and boost and this is 3rd gear. We pulled a few in 4th but it was earlier in the tune.

We cant show torque. The pickup wasn't working properly.

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 11:28 AM

Here is plotted in vd for the RPM and boost. Both 3rd gear.

Red 93
Blue E70

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...a269aca9d1.jpg

4th gear 93:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...e405d3f797.jpg

LetsGetThisDone Sep 7, 2017 12:29 PM

20psi at 5200. Not bad for a 35r on a 2.0L. What are you revving it to Tom?

NewEvoGuyInFL Sep 7, 2017 01:32 PM

Not to hijack, but TScomptuned, what is the turbo in your experience that offers at least 20lbs by 4.5k that has enough steam to hit 700hp. (want 700awhp on kill mode) but will daily it with 550hp.

With supporting mods of course. Xona?

Abacus Sep 7, 2017 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 11770453)
I'll post raw logs of the boost and rpm shortly.

T3 probably but ill ask customer. I tuned it without seeing the engine bay of the car.

Smoothing doesn't prove anything on stock ecu because stock ecu false knocks sometimes and causes timing to move around.

Car runs smooth. Timing is 100% where it needs to be for stock ecu and this setup.
Even tire pressure affects the smoothness of a graph on rollers. I prefer a mustang dyno for tuning a car honestly when using both back to back.

I will put some raw logs for RPM and boost and this is 3rd gear. We pulled a few in 4th but it was earlier in the tune.

We cant show torque. The pickup wasn't working properly.

First off, I'm a big fan of your work man.

If it has "false knock" on the dyno on a single pull , what happens when its got 2 guys in it eating cheeseburgers barreling down the road in 90* weather? If anything using the dyno to adjust knock filters is advantageous. The stock settings are for a stock engine. Add aftermarket pistons, rods and delete the balance shafts and its gonna vibrate. I've seen a few stock ecu cars with large turbo's lay down a smooth graph at 0. Its a bit harder on the small turbo stuff with backpressure.
Can't agree with you on tire pressure unless you've got an out of round tire or major driveline vibration.
IIRC mustang dyno's also have a smoothing feature.

Smoothing is the report card on how the car is running. You are arguably one of the best stock ecu tuners in the country. Most of your dyno sheets and cars you tune look and run pretty good. Now, some cars may just not run as well as others because of xyz but at least smoothing 3 should be used. You should at least be able to show most results at 3 since you're one of the best. Showing the graph at low smoothing shows off how good your work is.

Here is an example of another car you tuned years back that looked great. On smoothing 3.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-s-inside.html

I'm not trying to argue with you but I've used the same machine a number of times and seen what it can do. Using a lower smoothing shows people how good or bad the car runs and you can look closer at different rpm/speed points . I've seen other (not yours) dynosheets that are wavy on smoothing 5. People should look closer at those.

spdracerut Sep 7, 2017 02:58 PM

The standard housing for the GTX3584RS is v-band. I think the A/R options are: 0.83, 1.01, 1.21.

So very curious to know which turbine housing is on this thing.

700whp is easy GTX3582R territory. GTX3584RS is overkill for 700whp.

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Abacus (Post 11770527)
First off, I'm a big fan of your work man.

If it has "false knock" on the dyno on a single pull , what happens when its got 2 guys in it eating cheeseburgers barreling down the road in 90* weather? If anything using the dyno to adjust knock filters is advantageous. The stock settings are for a stock engine. Add aftermarket pistons, rods and delete the balance shafts and its gonna vibrate. I've seen a few stock ecu cars with large turbo's lay down a smooth graph at 0. Its a bit harder on the small turbo stuff with backpressure.
Can't agree with you on tire pressure unless you've got an out of round tire or major driveline vibration.
IIRC mustang dyno's also have a smoothing feature.

Smoothing is the report card on how the car is running. You are arguably one of the best stock ecu tuners in the country. Most of your dyno sheets and cars you tune look and run pretty good. Now, some cars may just not run as well as others because of xyz but at least smoothing 3 should be used. You should at least be able to show most results at 3 since you're one of the best. Showing the graph at low smoothing shows off how good your work is.

Here is an example of another car you tuned years back that looked great. On smoothing 3.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-s-inside.html

I'm not trying to argue with you but I've used the same machine a number of times and seen what it can do. Using a lower smoothing shows people how good or bad the car runs and you can look closer at different rpm/speed points . I've seen other (not yours) dynosheets that are wavy on smoothing 5. People should look closer at those.

I appreciate those kind words. The tire pressure ordeal I seen in person on a old dynojet. Mustangs have a really large resolution for smoothing.

How I tune the stock ecu allows me to keep cars together for a very long time. I still have customers from 5 years ago making 620-630WHP on stock internals still on stock ecu, still trapping 138-140 each year consistently

False knock isn't a bad thing for the stock ecu. 1-2 counts never will hurt a thing. most the time false knock wont pull timing either, but sometimes it does, and of course if it does that on the dyno its going to show some unsmoothness in the graph.

This car will be fine with 1000lb of weight in it extra racing. Nothing is unsafe with this car at all.

Yes I've seen many smoothing 5 choppy looking. This car isnt to bad at smoothing 0 but I wanted to share 5 to give the best accuracy in the power.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...48931fe0f1.jpg

Car wasn't strapped good on the dyno either. They sent me a video and it looked like it was about to fall off during and after pull. Not sure if that affects the smoothness or not.
One would think it would.

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11770478)
20psi at 5200. Not bad for a 35r on a 2.0L. What are you revving it to Tom?

It was being revved out to around 8500

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by NewEvoGuyInFL (Post 11770493)
Not to hijack, but TScomptuned, what is the turbo in your experience that offers at least 20lbs by 4.5k that has enough steam to hit 700hp. (want 700awhp on kill mode) but will daily it with 550hp.

With supporting mods of course. Xona?

I would have to go through customer cars to be certain but

FP Black in SS form sounds like a good basic install deal for what you just asked for.

The SS housing FP Black can go over 700 with ease (granted you have the supporting mods to get it there efficiently).

tscompusa Sep 7, 2017 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut (Post 11770542)
The standard housing for the GTX3584RS is v-band. I think the A/R options are: 0.83, 1.01, 1.21.

So very curious to know which turbine housing is on this thing.

700whp is easy GTX3582R territory. GTX3584RS is overkill for 700whp.

This ones 0.83 A/R. Somethings definitely holding the car back.

We were experiencing some vac lines coming off during tuning, so maybe it has leaks.

All I can do when I don't have the car in my possession is ask the customer to make sure it has no leaks.
I cannot enforce that, just go off what the customer says.

spdracerut Sep 8, 2017 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa (Post 11770601)
This ones 0.83 A/R. Somethings definitely holding the car back.

We were experiencing some vac lines coming off during tuning, so maybe it has leaks.

All I can do when I don't have the car in my possession is ask the customer to make sure it has no leaks.
I cannot enforce that, just go off what the customer says.

Yeah, I think the car is not in tip-top shape. Seems a bit laggy and I think down on power for that level of boost. So yeah, I think boost leak(s), causing the turbo to spin faster than it should, increasing back pressure. Just a guess.