Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
wow

That thing will fold up like a wet napkin in a wreck. I guess if you don't have side door beams though, it's probably the last of your worries. Probably lost some structural stiffness too. Lots of work though and if neither of those are worries of yours, then nice work.

I think I would stick to the 14 pound non-structurally compromised version though.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The car already has no crash beams cause of my fmic. It still has the cage and side crash beams in the doors. I'm not to worried about it. And for turning the car I have no idea what that Is haha.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
wow

That thing will fold up like a wet napkin in a wreck. I guess if you don't have side door beams though, it's probably the last of your worries. Probably lost some structural stiffness too. Lots of work though and if neither of those are worries of yours, then nice work.

I think I would stick to the 14 pound non-structurally compromised version though.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also picked up some NRG fiberglass seats. These things are flimsy, I wouldn't feel comfortable using these seats without a back brace on them. They are light though.

I agree the seats do flex a lot. I'm going to give them a try but I doubt I will be able to find a different seat in that weight range that is in my budget.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these the fiber glass ones? Do the carbon fiber ones flex a lot too.
Im getting ready to purchase these, saving 40lbs is very appealing.

Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I agree the seats do flex a lot. I'm going to give them a try but I doubt I will be able to find a different seat in that weight range that is in my budget.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

evodan2004, yeah, I was just talking side impact beams. These cars came with front and rear crash beams??? Sounds like it will meet your needs then if you aren't concerned about structural stiffness.

Somebody should build a column and dash bar solution though that's light, holds the dash in place well, and maintains the factory steering wheel controls. Height and length adjustable (on install) would be sweet. The steering column is 14.8 pounds with a light steering wheel on it, so probably~12 pounds, you could probably get it down to 5 or so while keeping the turn signals and wiper controls. You could probably get a fully functional dash bar down to 7-8 pounds if done in aluminum. That's ~20 pounds total off the car without it looking any different.

XcreatonX, exactly the same problem I have. The cheapest FIA seat I can find is about $350 a seat and they weigh like 18 pounds each. I have to do a harness bar either way, so I figure it would be a simple way to add a seat brace. Most rule books say if you use a seat back brace, there is no need for the seat to be FIA at that point. I figure a seat brace is maybe 1-2 pounds so take a 12 pound seat for 1/2 the price of an FIA seat and still end up lower in weight and far less on cost.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 19, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

evodan2004, yeah, I was just talking side impact beams. These cars came with front and rear crash beams??? Sounds like it will meet your needs then if you aren't concerned about structural stiffness.

Somebody should build a column and dash bar solution though that's light, holds the dash in place well, and maintains the factory steering wheel controls. Height and length adjustable (on install) would be sweet. The steering column is 14.8 pounds with a light steering wheel on it, so probably~12 pounds, you could probably get it down to 5 or so while keeping the turn signals and wiper controls. You could probably get a fully functional dash bar down to 7-8 pounds if done in aluminum. That's ~20 pounds total off the car without it looking any different.

XcreatonX, exactly the same problem I have. The cheapest FIA seat I can find is about $350 a seat and they weigh like 18 pounds each. I have to do a harness bar either way, so I figure it would be a simple way to add a seat brace. Most rule books say if you use a seat back brace, there is no need for the seat to be FIA at that point. I figure a seat brace is maybe 1-2 pounds so take a 12 pound seat for 1/2 the price of an FIA seat and still end up lower in weight and far less on cost.

Interested in your seat brace design...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

i know you meant the side impact beams. my car still has them. i do not think i will be removing them. the front beam is gone because of my fmic so there was not much i can do about that. i probably would have removed it anyways.

as for the dash bar. i think it will be fine. if not its a replaceable part.

i plan to get seats but i didnt know the NRG where flimsy. thats not appealing to me. i want the sparco evo seats in carbon ''also a 12lb seat'' but cost 1800.00 a piece. there fiberglass one is much less in price
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

The Sparco EVO seats are probably the nicest seats for the price that I've sat in. My buddy had them though and he said they flexed pretty well also when they weren't mounted. The NRG seats might not be too bad in all reality.

The carbon version should be even stiffer.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I like my stock seats, they are heavy though. If I was going to change mine I'd put two Kirkey seats in like I put in the road racing Eclipse, they were surprisingly comfortable, light and strong.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I was seconds from buying a pair of Kirkey Pro Drag seats and having them powder coated in black and rocking those in the EVO. They are like $170 a seat and weigh 11.x lbs each.

But I am going to keep my NRG carbon fiber seats. They are way more comfortable to sit in and are very light. I'd just like to come up with a light weight aluminum mounting bracket to put the seat where I sit. Right now with Corbaeu sliders and Buschur seat lowering brackets my seat comes in at 19.x lbs total. I'd like to cut that down to 16 lbs a seat.

I wish I could find someone to build a bolt in lightweight aluminum seat bracket that would be somewhat universal. I'm 5' 8" and sit pretty close to the steering wheel.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
I was seconds from buying a pair of Kirkey Pro Drag seats and having them powder coated in black and rocking those in the EVO. They are like $170 a seat and weigh 11.x lbs each.

But I am going to keep my NRG carbon fiber seats. They are way more comfortable to sit in and are very light. I'd just like to come up with a light weight aluminum mounting bracket to put the seat where I sit. Right now with Corbaeu sliders and Buschur seat lowering brackets my seat comes in at 19.x lbs total. I'd like to cut that down to 16 lbs a seat.

I wish I could find someone to build a bolt in lightweight aluminum seat bracket that would be somewhat universal. I'm 5' 8" and sit pretty close to the steering wheel.
I plan to buy either sparco EVO seats or nrg seats. I plan to make a bracket to bolt each corner of the seat right to the stock seat bolt locations. No sliders and no huge bracket crap. It will be a month or so before I get to this mod but it will happen before I start racing. If you like what I make ill have it duplicated of you want them
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

I will have to get mine mounted to see if the flexing goes down. I am looking to use lowering brackets and got a idea for the bracket from Jid. Just some square tubing. Now I'm not sure if I will go with aluminum or steel.

Dave would you rock kirkeys for a couple hour drive?

Can someone answer if the NRG seats are full carbon or not?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I will have to get mine mounted to see if the flexing goes down. I am looking to use lowering brackets and got a idea for the bracket from Jid. Just some square tubing. Now I'm not sure if I will go with aluminum or steel.

Dave would you rock kirkeys for a couple hour drive?

Can someone answer if the NRG seats are full carbon or not?
kirkeys and couple hour drive would be miserable haha
hell the stock recaros start getting uncomfortable after a few hours
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

made some progress on the car today. if you do not know now you will. i like lights buttons and gauges. sooooooooooo i have the following.

HKS TYPE 1 turbo timer
Innovate LC-1 with WB gauge ''52mm
STRI boost gauge ''52mm
Defi link box with 3 gauge on the A pillar.

now thats quite a bit of ever wiring so today i laid out all the wires of each part. i cut them to make the wires as short as possible to eliminate all the extra ''slack'' that you typically just role up and zip tie. i do not know how much weight i dropped ''maybe a 1lb'' but i am much happier now that everything is extremely neat and clean looking.

i bought a new dash harness because i want to remove the crap i do not need but for some reason i am afraid to do it. so i probably will not do it. i will save it if i ever need it i guess.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evodan2004
made some progress on the car today. if you do not know now you will. i like lights buttons and gauges. sooooooooooo i have the following.

HKS TYPE 1 turbo timer
Innovate LC-1 with WB gauge ''52mm
STRI boost gauge ''52mm
Defi link box with 3 gauge on the A pillar.

now thats quite a bit of ever wiring so today i laid out all the wires of each part. i cut them to make the wires as short as possible to eliminate all the extra ''slack'' that you typically just role up and zip tie. i do not know how much weight i dropped ''maybe a 1lb'' but i am much happier now that everything is extremely neat and clean looking.

i bought a new dash harness because i want to remove the crap i do not need but for some reason i am afraid to do it. so i probably will not do it. i will save it if i ever need it i guess.

I pulled my turbo timer & patch harness out the other day, haven't used that sh*t in like 3yrs.....PS, do you ever sleep??

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!