Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip down visors have a little weight to them...

The cubby hole below the EVAP controls... you can uncrew the back of it which weights a little... the outside part is very light so it doesn't look awful.

I'm up to about 5-6lbs of stuff removed today so far... biggest weight was the radio.

PS: If you could link me to that patch for the ecu that would be sweet. Hopefully I can use my existing rom
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

With the cubby hole, what do you mean unscrew the back?
Are you putting it back in after you unscrew the back?

This sucks, I think I'm at the point where if I take anything else out you will be able to see it, so far everything I have done is pretty much hidden. But dashboard stuff you will see easily.

Hmm, seems like I am at the crossroads now, lol
Old Oct 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I could say the same. My car is getting down right gutted (or at least appears that way). I'm already looking into either darker tint on the back windows or covering stuff with a thin light carpet to make it look decent.

I've got the dash about half way off... what a pain lol

Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

yea the dash is really annoying the first time you do it. Once you realize how it comes off and where all the screws are its not bad to take of maybe 30 min of work to get it off.

I have thin carpet on my back seats and where my back door panels would be. All the carpet total is maybe 1lb, its super thin stuff for using to cover boxes for amps.

I will try and take a pic tomorrow, it looks SOOOO much better then cars that are just gutted. When I go out at night and people look in my car, they even lean against the window and don't notice that I don't have back seats.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

The metal bracket on the bottom of the arm rest is kinda heavy, I wish there was a way to remove that and still be able to bolt down the arm rest.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys I'm going to warn you. These photo's are not for the faint hearted lol... Just got her apart.. hope these help someone out in the future.

This is underneath dash...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

What does the OEM TBE weigh? What does a Buschur TBE weigh?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
OEM turbo back weighs in at 60 pounds, our turbo back weighs in at 23 pounds.

The dash is a heck of a job to get out. There is a LOT of weight in there that can be removed though if you are willing to do the work. The air bags aren't light.

Guys, let me please make a request, take it for what it's worth. I have been around this stuff for almost 19 years now. I watched the DSM's go from great beautiful cars to the complete POS that 95+% of them are today. PLEASE don't cut up your EVO's and turn them into gutted pieces of sh**. It is so depressing to see a beautiful car turned into a hacked up hunk of garbage. As I say, take it for what it's worth.

I am ALL for saving as much weight as I can. In the end though if it is a street car there are some things I think you are better off to leave. Airbags and door beams are most important. There is a bunch of other weight under the hood though. If you are electrically savy the wiring harness in the car is REDICULOUSLY heavy. I would really like to have my brother build me a new harness for my RS over this winter. My RS would probably loose 30-40 more pounds. It is a lot of work and has to be done perfectly though.

Anyway, just my two cents. There is a lot of weight in the EVO's to be removed and saved.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

I know exactly what you're saying but this car is strictly going to be a track car and maybe out on the street a couple days of the month. I don't plan on hacking anything like that... I'm basically removing all the air/heat components along with the sound deadening stuff and cleaning up any wiring I can.

I can afford to take stuff out (and put stuff back in if ever needed) but can't really afford a fully built motor right now. I plan on covering things and making it look nice once it's said and done. I will probably put the rear door panels back on just to keep things looking decent... I'd like for the car to be a single seater but have the ability to put the seats back in and be ready for a passenger if needed

I do not plan on drilling holes or cutting into the metal of the car or anything like that. That's just crazy... Ok I'm tired as hell and rambling lol. I totally agree in leaving door beams and things of the like.

PS: Do you have scales at your shop dave? I'll be up soon... just waiting on Dan to give me a call to set it up.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

When you take the Air/heat out, be sure to cover up the vent hole that goes into the engine bay otherwise you will get a draft through there into the car, which makes it really cold in winter, lol. (Don't ask how I know).

The airbags are super heavy, but I can't bring my self to take them out.
Under the dash all I was really able to get out was the sound deadening and the brackets under the steering wheel. What else can you take off the dash? I know the radio brackets can come out, but not if I want to keep my radio (which I do)

justchill - if you take anything else out under the dash beside ac/heat stuff please take pics as I would love to find more under there.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
OEM turbo back weighs in at 60 pounds, our turbo back weighs in at 23 pounds...
Ok, damn. I saw that in the first post, but I wasn't 100% sure thats what "60Lbs, BR weighs in at 23"

I was thinking maybe 23 was just cat-back and didn't know he was referring to the stock exhasut when saying 60 lbs. Thanks David

If I do some minor weight saving this week, I'll have shaved off almost 130lbs altogether! I'd love to get this thing under 3000lbs, but I have a ways to go yet. My first goal is sub 3100.

Assuming my car is right around 3263, or less (since only mods would have reduced weight or stayed the same) I should be around 3135 by the weekend
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

On a CAT scale I weighed 3160lbs with mini battery, one driver seat (my two seat NRG setup weighs about 4lbs less than 1 stock seat), stripped trunk, stripped audio, no floor mats, and full tank.

I think there are 2 horns in the evo, you could remove one unless there is a law about having 2 horns.

Last edited by oneguy; Oct 2, 2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

good idea on removing one horn.

Was that weight with you in the car?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

No driver
Should've been about 3375 with me in it

Last edited by oneguy; Oct 2, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I did not realize you have an MR, makes sense now as they are a bit heavier

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!