Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Bad Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same question here, which color wire from your radio did you connect to the blue wire. I have the antenna connected, but I am only seeing a blue amp wire that has nothing to do with it. TIA, I may have to call Pioneer. BTW its a Premeire 980BT with the usual harness that everyone uses to hook them up to factory harness.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

In my Sony instructions for my high end $199 stereo, it shows 2 purposes for the blue wire off the deck. One is for the antenna use and the other is for an amp use. I think you can only choose one.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
In my Sony instructions for my high end $199 stereo, it shows 2 purposes for the blue wire off the deck. One is for the antenna use and the other is for an amp use. I think you can only choose one.
So does that mean I'm outta luck if I have the SSL package? My blue wire off the deck is already being used for the remote amp turn on. What would happen if I connected both to it?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok. here is the story. not all aftermarket (ie sony, jvc, etc) have BOTH power antenna and amp turn on wires. some will only have the blue/white amp turn on wire. you CAN use the blue/white wire from the radio as well as the blue to power up the antenna wire (blue wire on mitsu harness). the only difference is that there will always be power going to the antenna when the radio is on. you can also use the blue/white of the radio to power BOTH the antenna AND the amp (that is your solution badbrain).

blue/while - amp turn on - 12v switched with radio - can be use to power amp, antenna, or both

blue - power antenna - 12v switched with tuner - can ONLY be used to power antenna (amp would only be on with FM/AM if you connected it with this)
The following users liked this post:
True Blue (Aug 31, 2017)
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks EvilBlue! Hopefully, I can fix it this weekend.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by accident
I wonder if this is my problem. My car had an aftermarket deck when i got it. I can hardly get any AM reception. I'm a talk radio junkie
thanks, ed
Likewise, when I installed my Alpine IVA-D310 the last thing I was expecting was to lose reception. I was like WTF I just paid out the nose for this and now I lose all of my AM stations & now I also have interference from my turnsignals on AM stations, FM works like a charm tho w/ no static or interference. I'll have to take it out and see if what EvilBlueEvo8 said will wk for this. I'm sure it will tho as it did for accident & jj_008 so I'll go ahead and say thanks in advance...

Last edited by Got Boost?; Jul 21, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
probably. most people don't realized its powered. all the mitsu aftermarket radio adapters come with the wire in the slot, but not all mitsu's have a wire on the factory wiring end. the evo does. you can trace it a bit to a seperate plug. i believe its a yellow wire on the factory side. i don't remember off the top of my head.
I hate to bump an old thread, but I too have no AM reception with my KD-NX5000. I know there is a blue antenna wire coming from my deck, but did not find a suitable wire to attach to on the harness I received from Crutchfield. Can anyone confirm exactly what color the antenna power wire is for an Evo IX?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:00 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to EvilBlueEvo8 for the info
I posted this elsewhere also, hopefully it might help others.

The difference is huge, I actually get AM now.

For those confused, antenna on Evo7-9 definitely has a booster and needs 12V.
I had no AM before connecting 12V to the antenna. Basically its like a figure 8 cable, one is the antenna signal, the other goes to the booster.

On the car loom side, the wire is yellow, which then connects to the antenna wire.
For aftermarket headunits, connect the antenna rem (usually blue) to it.

I thought the antenna remote was only to power an antenna mask physically up and down when the radio is turned on (radio - not headunit), but it can also be used to power the antenna booster - when the headunit source is set to radio.

Don't connect constant 12V (usually yellow) to it, or you'll probably get battery drain, if you don't have antenna rem (doubt that any headunit doesn't have it), you could use ACC (usually red)

Attached pictures
Hope this helps others with poor reception.

Last edited by leftywhat; Mar 24, 2014 at 01:03 AM.