Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i ordered one for a 12w3 i have, I'll post pics as soon as I get it. I went to a shop and a custom mdf (not fiberglass) square box with "rounded edges" STARTED at $300. I built my original box and materials and a sheet of 3/4" mdf cost almost fifty bucks and about 4-6 hours of my life. I think it's woth it, just my .02
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I know I've posted them somewhere before... And to those of you who won't spend 100 dollars more than your sub on this box, don't even think about it... the 12w3v2 in it cost me 180 dollars... the full custom enclosure with labor and parts cost a whopping 860 dollars. But, the whole set-up weighs 10 lbs more than the spare tire and tools and with the wooden plank in and the cloth on top it functions as a regular Evo trunk minus about 2" of depth is all. And about 8" off from the top at the very back for the Accusump that's in there now but it isn't really part of the stereo at all... And it also happens to be built PERFECTLY to the JL sub's specs, which means it also sounds killer. When I got it finished there was a kid there with a truck that had 2 12s and he ended up buying 2 15s to replace them because, as he said, "Some kid in a little Evo can't beat a kid in a Dodge Ram out, I need something bigger!"

So there's the pictures of all 3 "levels" And if I ever go crazy and decided to take it out for racing, its just floating (aka not drilled into the body at all) so I could pull the whole thing out. The whole set-up was done in order to get the Alpine-Ipod set-up, and have it sound great.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

The internal volume of the box is 1 cubic foot exactly. Almost every woofer on the market has a tolerance for airspace, so this box is ideal for a whole array of subs.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm also interested in one of your custom boxes MConsoliA4 but I just wanted to know how you secure it to the car? I had a JL stealth box for the eclipse and it looked almost identical to this one but I could never find a CLEAN way of attaching it to the car. Integrated mounting studs comming out the bottom would be nice
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:58 PM

here's a couple we did at the audio shop i'm an installer at.

http://www.stereoonenwa.com/05evomr.html

http://www.stereoonenwa.com/06evomr.html
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

BlueIX: The box mounts either down to the floor with a nut and bolt, or through to the wall behind the box. We recomment drilling a hole down through the floor, bolt it in with a nut and bolt (which we can provide) and siliconing over the bolt to keep it sealed. The box is EXTREMELY snug in it's location so one mount will keep it in place nicely
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is Brian's I did in 2002 I think.

The white trunk is my Evo
Attached Thumbnails Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!-picture-063.jpg   Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!-picture-073.jpg   Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!-dsc_0223.jpg   Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!-073.jpg  
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
Here is Brian's I did in 2002 I think.

The white trunk is my Evo

Love the false hood

thats strange, i was telling a coworker the other day how i would like to mold an evo front or rear end into my trunk for an enclosure
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

sup MConsoliA4, do you have the sub-enclosure already pre-made?
ready for shipment?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the idea standing in front of the car. Through the vent you can see hte valve cover and its square and a good size for an amp. So I called Zapco and asked htem to build me come amps. Luckily, they build some sealed amps for the aerospace industry that use differnet cooling technology since Magnesium isn't an effective heatsink and could make it work. I ordered 2 Kaminari hoods, CF and glass. Cut up the glass hood to shape and wrapped it in CF, built a hinge mechanism and a bracket to attach a motor and made a motorized amp cover.

We welded small plates to the floor and had the trunk repainted and now the hood and entire amp rack can each be removed by taking out 4 security bolts each. We built the whole system in 3 days prior to SBN a few years ago and I haven't changed a thing.

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
Love the false hood

thats strange, i was telling a coworker the other day how i would like to mold an evo front or rear end into my trunk for an enclosure
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:17 PM

some quick ?'s,can this be tweaked for more airspace,also is this only sealed or can you make ported to.lastly you say this was designed using a W7,so what are the measurements from the front lip to the back of the enclosure
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

When you guys put in the sub setup in the trunk, do you remove the rear deck speakers or keep them for rear fill?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am gonna build new fiberglass enclosure next month for single 10", will post pictures.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Good_Enough
When you guys put in the sub setup in the trunk, do you remove the rear deck speakers or keep them for rear fill?
Uh, keep them, why would you get rid of half your sound?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

slowwevo: The mounting depth is roughly 8.5 inches deep. I say roughly because it depends on where you measure from. But that is the closest measurement i could get you. We mocked it up with a fake 10w7 with a 1/4 inch plate on the bottom of it and then spaced it 1/4 inch also for the pole piece on the sub to breathe. What sub are you thinking about running?

Quick Reply: Post Your Custom Sub Enclosure Here!