Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see these in person... Maybe we could meet up and I could see these enclosures first hand...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
Account Disabled

Id be all for that, but I'm in Cocoa Beach, FL right now with no immediate plans to come home to AZ, sorry
Old Oct 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

does anyone have an orbital kit they're not going to use anymore? I guess they're not making them anymore and my shop would love to pick up production, especially since we'd be able to offer them at about 1/3 the price. Let me know.
Get better Austin, i know how you feel, i just got over being sick
Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

I should have sanded and painted my orbital kit, the finish was terrible. Not what I expected for 300 dollars. The a/c relocation was a joke also. I should have just made my own, only way to get it perfect.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
Account Disabled

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was ill, and have been playing catch up. also the Evodave carbon fiber trunk and JDM bumper took up some of my time. I custom fabed a carbon fiber plate panel and carbon fiber licence light panel with 8 white LEDs to light my licence.

Tomorrow I will be pulling the bumper again to install my modified crash beam. as pulling the bumper requires pulling the speaker boxes, I have just left them out while my crash beam was at the welder. Tomorrow night I will pull off the bumper cover, install the crash beam, put the bumper cover back on, put the trunk interior back in and install the boxes. I should be done with a full install on the boxes tomorrow. My false wall won't be done for a couple more weeks. I am going to be doing that at the same time I cover my dash and gauge pod with Alcantara
Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

This project is completed!!!! only have to build the false wall, and the rear of my car is completed.

pictures are here:

(edited, will have pictures in this thread shortly)

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 9, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

should have went with the audio integrations boxes. much nicer looking and better quality.

http://www.audiointegrations.citymax...itsubishi.html
Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by zlancer
should have went with the audio integrations boxes. much nicer looking and better quality.

http://www.audiointegrations.citymax...itsubishi.html
I looked at the audiointegrations box, however there were so many problems with those boxes, that they wern't even a real consideration.

1: They do not make dual boxes
2: They only make a 12" box
3: The box volume is too little for most designs of high-power 12" subs
4: They use poly-fill which is a band-aid fix for too little volume
5: There is no reinforcement on the flat sides of their boxes which result in flex in the fiberglass. (Wicked's design puts in reinfocement on the flat sections)

As for quality, these boxes by wicked are TOP NOTCH. Extremely thick fiberglass, the carpet is a near factory match. Not sure why you say the audio integrations boxes are "nicer looking" because I really like these boxes design and construction. With the wicked boxes, there is ZERO flex in the fiberglass, and performance is perfect.

I didn't just buy without doing my research. I bought the best boxes on the market.

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 4, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy
I looked at the audiointegrations box, however there were so many problems with those boxes, that they wern't even a real consideration.

1: They do not make dual boxes
2: They only make a 12" box
3: The box volume is too little for most designs of high-power 12" subs
4: They use poly-fill which is a band-aid fix for too little volume
5: There is no reinforcement on the flat sides of their boxes which result in flex in the fiberglass. (Wicked's design puts in reinfocement on the flat sections)

As for quality, these boxes by wicked are TOP NOTCH. Extremely thick fiberglass, the carpet is a near factory match. Not sure why you say the audio integrations boxes are "nicer looking" because I really like these boxes design and construction. With the wicked boxes, there is ZERO flex in the fiberglass, and performance is perfect.

I didn't just buy without doing my research. I bought the best boxes on the market.

First off we're not posting here to get into an argument with you; everybody is intitled to their own opinions, unfortunately you have no real world experience with our products and have posted things that are just not true.

For those members who want the real truth hopefully this will clear some things up.

They do not make dual boxes:

This is true, while the costs are considerable to design and make new products, we started out with what we felt to be most popular, this being a single 12” driver. The reason for this is the majority of people were concerned with adding extra weight of an additional speaker along with enclosure. Some people have suggested to build a passenger side one, and it is something we are considering.

They use poly-fill which is a band-aid fix for too little volume:

This seems to be a huge debate on the internet and every where you look. We like using polyfill to aid in achieving a desired sound, and overall like the sound of an enclosure with it, be it fiberglass or mdf. Our customers can at least have the option to use it or not, that is up to their discretion, but at least we provide it.

To quote the author of The Loud Speaker Cookbook, Vance Dickason (this may get quite a bit long, but education is nice ) “In the real world, however, the “art” of box stuffing can be an invaluable tool to alter box response in order to achieve certain parameters of size and Q that can’t be had in any other way. Besides the obvious advantage of increased suppression of the internal reflections that can produce strong colorations in the sound quality, stuffing a box has the following effects on box parameters: A) Compliance Increase. Use of low density, high specific heat material will cause an increase in the acoustic compliance of the enclosure. This is equivalent to increasing the box size and can amount to as much as a theoretical 40%. Practical equivalent volume increases of 15-25% are quite attainable. B) Efficiency Increase. Proper selection of the amount, type of material and the location of the material within the enclosure can cause an increase of efficiency by as much as 15%”

The box volume is too little for most designs of high-power 12" subs

The box volume is around 1.15- 1.2. Again, this is a vehicle specific enclosure made for different brands of speakers and air requirements. If we planned on selling the enclosure with only one woofer, we would have made it for the exact one, but many different woofer brands have many different air space requirements. We had to go with an average to obtain the best overall for our customers. Most manufacturers offer a range for the enclosure, and most times the “ideal” enclosure size they recommend is based on a Q around 1.

Again, to quote Vance “High Q’s in the vicinity of 1 tend to have a warm, if somewhat robust, quality that audio marketing people describe as saleable, lower Q values tend to sound more detailed, while Q’s above 1.2 should be considered undesirable”

Here’s a quote from JL’s tech page – “For any speaker competently designed for sealed box applications there is a range of enclosure volumes that will produce good high-fidelity sound. Changing the enclosure volume within that range can fine-tune the response to suit the tastes of the listener and/or the acoustic properties of the vehicle.”

Point in case is that a sealed enclosure volume can vary, and to obtain the best sound it’s good to experiment with different volumes, and/or dampning material to obtain the desired sound.

Here’s a list of woofers that fall into the category, many of these woofers have been ran in our enclosure with many happy customers.

Diamond Audio D6 - .875 cubic feet sealed 600 watts– The box would be a bit too big for this woofer,
some sort of air space filler (foam block) would be best to meet the .875 sealed requirements.

Diamond Audio D3 12 - 1.0 cubic feet sealed 400 watts

JL Audio 12W6 - 1.25 cubic feet sealed 400 watts - a smidge small, but this woofer is known as a small box performer, with the tag line “small box refined”

JL Audio 12W3 – 1.25 cubic feet sealed 300 watts

Alpine Type R 12 - .7 - 1.0 cubic feet sealed 500 watts

Stereo Integrity Mag 12 1-1.3 cubic feet sealed 900 watts

Boston Acoustics G3 12 – 1.0 cubic feet sealed. 375 watts

Boston Acoustics G2 12 – 1.0 cubic feet sealed. 300 watts

Rockford Fosgate P312 12 - 0.75 - 1.25 cubic feet sealed – 500 watts

There is no reinforcement on the flat sides of their boxes which result in flex in the fiberglass:

Again, this is obviously from a person who has no real world experience with our products, in the pictures below, you will see the reinforcement ‘channels’ on the flat bottom of our enclosure, and the honeycomb reinforcement in certain flat areas of our enclosure. The honeycomb reinforcement is integrated in the layup process of the enclosure, it provides extra strength and is extremely lightweight. The enclosure was designed to fit to the trunk liner panel exactly, so it mirrors the shapes and contours, which also adds considerable strength over flat panels.

They don’t provide much warranty:

In legal talk : Audio Integrations warrants this Perfect Fit Product to be free from defects in workmanship for the life of the product, provided that it was purchased from an authorized Audio Integrations retailer or directly from Audio Integrations, LLC. Trim rings, terminal cups and fabric carry a 2 year limited warranty and are not covered by the lifetime warranty. An original receipt is required for proof of original ownership and must accompany the return of the enclosure.

They provide no type of mount for the enclosure:

This of course is false, we provide a mounting system that requires no use of sheetmetal scews into the car or any holes of any sort that were not existing. When secured with our mounting bolts the enclosure will not move, period!

Like stated eariler - we're not trying to argue with anybody, we just thought the rest of the members here could benifit from knowing the truth. We manufacture extremely high quality products and provide excellent customer service to boot. If you're happy with you're setup then that's all that matters, but if you're going to post statements about other companies you should at least make them accurate.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

Wow, way to enlarge your font! There's a saying, "never raise your voice when you should be reinforcing your arguement". In this case.. FONT

First off, I agree, I do not have real-world experience with your product. I based everything I said off of your sales posts and the information YOU had provided. I am not in the practice of buying things, that by description do not fit my need, and then buying the other products that do fit my need.

I didn't buy a Miata only to complain about it not having back seats... I read the brochure, saw that it didn't have what I needed, and purchased something else.

Now, let's go over the reason I didn't purchase your boxes, point by point.

1) You do not make dual boxes
you agree my point is True

2) You only make a 12" box
you agree my point 2s True

3) The box volume is too little for most designs of high-power 12" subs
You then list off a number of subs and figures for manufacturer required volumes, however you do not account for the volume of the driver (subwoofer). Therefore the JL audio, Diamond Audio (which actually needs 1.5 cu ft, not the 1.0 cu ft you quote) Rockford Fosgate, and Stereo Integrations boxes need more volume.(not by my opinion, but by the tech pages you quoted by the manufacturers) The other subs you mention do not have the Wattage that I am looking for.

4) polyfill is a band-aid fix for lack of proper volume, you may like the sound, I and many many others do not.

5) again, I don't like the design, even with the honeycomb

I said nothing about the warranty or mounting Not sure why you included that.
1&2 were reasons enough for me to not go with your product, 3,4 and 5 were icing on the cake.

I run 600W to my subs right now, and your box does not fit my requirements. I did my homework, and picked what in my opinions is the best option. Your box does not fit nor fill my needs and no matter how much you want to type, your product will not change, therefore will never fit my needs. I am very happy with what I chose, my comments of your product stand and why I did not choose them.

I will restate what I initially wrote: "I didn't just buy without doing my research. I bought the best boxes on the market."

Again, I am not arguing either. My statements were accurate, and 100% based off of your sales pitch in the for sale section.

Thank you,

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 10, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Tempe and I like the Audio Integrations guys. It's clear the box didn't work for Tempe, and that's all well and good.

I do have personal experience with the Audio Integrations enclosure with one of the subs in question. I have a JL 12W6 running off a JL 500/1. It sounds just as good as any other 12W6 that I've heard in close to 10 different cars. The enclosure matches up very well to a 12W6 when installed in an Evo. It's very musical, hits very hard, deep bass extension is tremendous all while delivering tight and punchy bass...just like a 12W6 should sound.

I have no clue what any other sub would sound like in this enclosure, but the 12W6 works quite well.

The Wicked boxes also look great. Several months back there were some issues with the glass being a bit thin. MConsoliA4 fixed that problem very quickly, so I give him props for that.

They're both great boxes. You probably can't go wrong with either assuming it meets the needs of your system. The Wicked boxes worked great for Tempe and the Audio Integrations box worked great for me.

Can't we all just get along?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

What happened to the other thread you had, TempeRacerGuy; the one that is listed in your sig? I can't seem to access it anymore like it was deleted.

Anyway, your project is coming along well and I am getting real interested in these sub boxes, especially since I already have a 12w6 as a starting point. I would love to free my trunk back up, even by just adding a driver-side box!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
Account Disabled

I am in the process of editing my post here so the moderator doesn't censor this as well.

Wicked Car Audio Systems is not a vendor as of yet, so the moderators didn't want business to be done through this site. Totally understood and I agree with them. I can say where they are from, but I cannot mention a contact through this site. They are on the internet, and in the phone book. Google guys!

The moderators said that the other thread was too contaminated to edit.

I will re-post a thread without contact information through the site. It will also be more general about my set-up, and not so much about the boxes :-)

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 9, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, understood. Thanks for the info and sharing your setup!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its too bad you dont live in a place where you could have tried out the Audio Integrations boxes TempeRacerGuy. I have gone through a lot of different stereo components in my life, and I have to say Audio Integrations makes the absolute best sounding box I have ever heard in my entire life. Its also the most solid fit I have ever been able to get into the Evo as well, and extremely light. I cant imagine having to put sheet metal screws in. The AI box just pops right in and screws down using the factory bolt locations. But damn, Florida is a long drive to the Pacific Northwest!
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes