Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar)

hey guys,

I recently decided to make my evo IX geared more towards a track car and only some street use. i was wondering if these 3 parts were still street legal though if and when i decide to stroll around town in the evo.

Bride Zeta III seats
Takata 4 or 5 point harnesses
Autopower 4 point roll bar

i know cops will have more of a reason to pull me over once they see my interior. was hoping some of these parts were atleast street legal.
any info would be great.

thanks,
Sina H.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRIDE Zeta III - The only FIA approved seat in BRIDE seat line up - so yes

Takata Racing Harness - As long as they are FIA approved, yes they are legal to have. but you wouldn't want to use it for daily basis.. it just looks funny ..

Autopower 4 point roll-bar - they are legal as long as you don't take any passengers in the back.

Last edited by Speed Element; Oct 9, 2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:54 PM

I have racing seats, a six point roll bar, and harnesses in an rx7. It passed the DMV inspection in CA no problem when I brought it in from out of state. The gal didn't look for FIA approvals but that doesn't mean you aren't supposed to have them.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIA does not mean it is street legal. They must be NHTSA legal and the only company that has that is Schroth.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 AM

Hmmm, mine are Pyrotech's so it looks like when I replace the harnesses eventually I know who to go to.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:19 PM

Any seat belts in a street driven vehicle have to be DOT approved, no race harnesses I have ever seen or heard of have DOT numbers. The seats are legal and the cage is legal as long as it doesnt hinder you getting out of the car (has door bars intact while driving). Some states may only allowed a "back half" cage so there arent skull cracking tubes next to your mellon, and obviously no one can ride in the back seat.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

As long as you don't take out the factory seat belts and use nothing but the harnesses, you shouldn't get harassed on that one.

Analogy: If you've got a set of non-DOT approved tires sitting in the back seat of your car, they aren't going to give you a ticket for driving on illegal tires.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:23 PM

I love racing seats, but I am sure its just one more thing for a cop to be a dick about
Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 AM

Very true, but a lot of people (most likely including cops) dont think the stock Evo seats are factory installed. I had someone in a parking lot window peeping and then ask me where I got the cool reclining race seats : )
Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
As long as you don't take out the factory seat belts and use nothing but the harnesses, you shouldn't get harassed on that one.

I agree, dont remove the stock belts and you should be ok. Not to mention it is good to have the option to use them escpeially if you have differnet size passangers.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 09:20 PM

I have leather Evo 8 seats in my Maxima and Sparco harnesses and I was wondering thing.

Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

WOW!!! love ure seats with hareness DeusExMaxima.. nice!!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:11 PM

in some jurisdictions, harnesses are not allowed to be used for street, but then again, why would you want to anyway?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:22 AM
MD@
Evolving Member

In SoCal you will for sure get attention from the police for having a rollbar and hopefully your seats aren't red, but those 2 aren't going to get you any tickets. But don't use a harness on the street, a friend of mine got a ticket for using a 5-point while driving around. Keep your stock belt in place and use that while daily driving the car.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:59 PM

i dont see the need for the harness on street anyway? would be the biggest hassle

Quick Reply: are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar)