Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

want a cheap and clean looking hu, need help

Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want a cheap and clean looking hu, need help

alright so i have been burning cd after cd after cd and i just cant take it anymore. Ive search countless times looking for a simple aux input but soon came to realize making it work with the stock hu will cost around 150-200 dollars so i might as well just get a new hu. Now, i want literally the most cost effective hu i can buy that is very plain, no flashing lights and stuff, that has an aux input in the front so i can connect my iphone or ipod to it. It doesn't need to be the best hu around, but also not the worst. Anyone with any guidance please feel free to chime in as i know next to nothing about systems and things of that sort.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't call it the most cost effective option out there, but it is what I run in my car....simple display, full iPod control (no need for aux...you can control the whole iPod through the deck and will offer better sound quality as it acts like a dock and bypasses the headphone jack altogether), and the ability to use the imprint module to fine tune everything automatically. This HU with a seperate EQ and running imprint has yielded one of the best sounding systems I have personally heard in the past 12 years of building and listening to car audio systems:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9...search=CDA9887
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

that looks pretty awesome, but 400 is probably out of my price range. thanks a lot for the input!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Carson,
I am installing a Z3 nav in my car as soon as my jdm bezel gets here..I have an Alpine 9855 I was going to sell to Mat for 180.00, but if he does not buy it I will let you know.. It is an awesome head unit but you will need to buy the ipod cable for it, with the cable you can control ipod functions through the head unit itself.. Everything is perfect condition and I have the box and instructions and all..I'll let you know if he is gonna take it or not..
Pete

link (note the price)
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=2416

pic

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
that looks pretty awesome, but 400 is probably out of my price range. thanks a lot for the input!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:47 AM

For $144 you can get a Alpine 9884 on ebay brand new. I had this in my last car and it worked great with my ipod and iphone. Although, there is no input on the front of the hu, so you would also need to buy the ipod cable.

Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

awesome news. thanks for the offer petey, let me know if mat doesn't want it. Oh and let me know if you want to tune another bbk soon!!!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll want a deck that has real I-pod control, not just an AUX output. Reason being its much easier to reach and make adjustments on your HU rather then an ipod thats sitting upside down in your cupholder or sliding around on the floor or passenger seat.

I'm thinking I might try that new Alpine that doesn't have a CD player AT ALL. But is strictly IPOD and Sat radio. I haven't carried CD's in my car since I got an IPOD and subscribed to Sirius.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX...?tp=5684&wm=cl
Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I went with a Pioneer hu similar to this, mine is last years model tho- love it and have the ipod cable routed into the glove box! i like controlling the ipod thru the hu...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1197074854073
Old Feb 3, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

all these seem pretty decent. im not sure i really need direct HU control over my ipod because i probably just put it on shuffle and use my playlists anyways so if i could save money by just having an aux port i would rather do that. Thanks for all the help guys keep it coming.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:43 PM

Browse the classifieds. If you're not picky on what you want (like me), I'm sure you can find one that suits your needs and won't break the bank.