Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

remote Start Alarm, that detects if your in gear.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One can also use a mercury switch to shut the car off should it start in gear, but if you park on a hill it won't start. I would advise just buying a system for a manual car--almost all of the will do it now if installed correctly.

Mark
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

I have the habbit of leaving it in neutral.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
I have ALWAYS left my car(s) in neutral so its a habit.

that makes 2 of us
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I am getting the Clifford alarm installed as we speak. Its supposed to have that feature of the gear thing in it. Only was to find out is when I get the car back...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

this should be a sticky or something........hmmmmmm
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using a custom made switch made from a $.99 reed switch and a fridge magnet I've made it so I can only start my car in neutral when using remote start (can still start in gear with key) and I don't have to go through the manual transmission mode start sequence every time I want to use the starter. A nice side affect is that if you even move the shifter (don't even have to put it in gear) without the key in, the engine will shut down immediately. Remote start is Viper 5901 and car is 2004 Evolution VIII GSR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkz8-vQ4w2s
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Take some pics of what you made... curious to see it a little better. What did you wire it into your neutral safety wire?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aar0nsite
i have the latest clifford(the silver one, too lazy to look up the name) but what they guy who installed it did was get a spare key, then put it in this black box and hide it in the steering column. and then put a clutch overun so the car will start without the need to press the clutch, but the car must be turn off in nutral and have the parkign break pulled. If not it will not enter remote start mode... and he also activated the turbo timer from the alarm to work too!
So, I got the car back from the shop and I have the same alarm Aar0nsite has. The Smart Start from the iPhone is a cool feature. All works like it should.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Take some pics of what you made... curious to see it a little better. What did you wire it into your neutral safety wire?
I can take some pics when I get the car back in a few weeks. Basically the magnet is zip tied to the bottom of the shifter. The reed switch is then glued to a spacer that makes it sit right under the magnet. And yes, it is connected to the neutral saftey wire.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by fishie36
Using a custom made switch made from a $.99 reed switch and a fridge magnet I've made it so I can only start my car in neutral when using remote start (can still start in gear with key) and I don't have to go through the manual transmission mode start sequence every time I want to use the starter. A nice side affect is that if you even move the shifter (don't even have to put it in gear) without the key in, the engine will shut down immediately. Remote start is Viper 5901 and car is 2004 Evolution VIII GSR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkz8-vQ4w2s
nice setup! where did you purchase your reed switch?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RUDEBOY77
nice setup! where did you purchase your reed switch?
HSC electronic supply in rhonert park, ca.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Any manual transmission remote starter requires you to perform a certain sequence to be able to remote start the car the next time... the catch is you always have to park in neutral...

If you park your car in gear, there is no way you can perform the sequence or reservation mode to set the car up for remote start... hence... it will not remote start.

If you are installing an automatic only remote starter in a manual transmission starter and want a safety shutdown to detect when the car is in gear... this is just a big bad idea and a big no no... I think you'd be hard pressed to find a certified installer to agree to this...

As a response to previous posts about modifying the system so you don't have to go through the reservation mode to start the car... although it may work I wouldn't put all my faith in that reed switch setup... not to knock the person who has done it... but I wouldn't trust a magnetic reed switch with very little tolerance that could fail and could potentially launch your car into something or someone. Also, DEI or anyone for that matter wouldn't warranty or cover anything if you did this mod and something happened.

I've been installing for 10 years as a government certified and mecp certified automotive electrical accessory technician and have done many manual transmission remote starter installs... but never modified something like this... the idea seems like it would work but in my experience with electronics... anything can happen... I would leave the unit to work like it is supposed to.

That being said, DEI's Viper, Clifford, Python, etc. units will work with manual transmissions as of recently, Compustar, Code Alarm, Prestige/Audiovox, etc... these are the most popular and reliable.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Last edited by majestic*; Apr 22, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 03:05 PM

putting a remote start system on a manual shift car is very dangerous... trust me I know I installed one on my EVO8. when I bought the car I knew I would put a turbo timer on it and would have to park in neutral. when i put on my remote start i used switches mounted to the shifter to make sure it would not start in gear. but one of the switches moved out of position and the one time I left my car in gear i was walking in front of it when I started it... the car jumped forward and almost hit me, i jumped on the hood of my car so it would not pinch my legs between it and a concret wall... again I say remote start systems on a stick shift car is not a good idea!!!
Old May 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

you're right, they're very dangerous when done incorrectly by weekend warriors. The systems out there that are safe are safe for a reason, it's not relying on a manually mounted switch to your gear shift. Sorry that's not safe, nor should anyone use that method EVER to install one