Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, this particular plug was actually corroded together and was stuck. It took quite some time with a flat head screwdriver to coax the two pieces apart before rewiring. Even while soldering, the solder didn't want to stick to the wire very well because of the massive amount of corrosion in the wires.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Man those are among the worst I have seen. Your lucky the car didn't catch fire it was surely sparking at some point
i was thinkin the same thing.. did you ever smell it burning?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have to check mine to make sure i dont get this problem.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stock-ish
i was thinkin the same thing.. did you ever smell it burning?
nope, one day my wipers quit working, I checked/wiggled the fuses and they started working again, 10 minutes later they quit. Then I looked into this thread
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRolla
i have to check mine to make sure i dont get this problem.
if they do look ok it would be a good idea to put dielectric on the plugs to keep em good. i went through all mine and did that after the fact.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

so i got around to re sealing the grommet, i put it up the the lift at work.. i figured it would be easier.
Name:  005.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  004-1.jpg
Size:  46.4 KB
i forgot to take a pic of the sealed up grom before putting it back together..
Name:  003.jpg
Size:  77.5 KB
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:58 AM

Issue resolved in one more of Mistubishi's children...

While yesterday afternoon is one I will never get back... the deed is done. I had experienced the wipers refusing to turn off, and for the last week I've been disconnecting the battery whenever I stop, because the parking lights refused to turn off whenever the battery was connected.

When things refuse to work, the path to resolution, (while not fun), makes sense to me. When things refuse not to work, ... I turn to the internet.

It has failed to cease to amaze me how the answer is nearly always available. Be it an obscure wiring problem w/ the 30,000 mile Evo I purchased ironically to get away from odd electrical issues with my 323 GTX I otherwise adored, ... whether my Miata can function reasonably w/out causing any damage in the absence of the external counterweight on the Torsen LSD that fell off, how to make meatloaf, etc....

THANKS to the OP and all who contributed their experience to this thread for leading me right to the root cause of the issue, and detailing their paths to solution!

FWIW, the wires are not all the same color on both sides. Many are, but several are not. For this reason, (to prevent excess thinking on a weekend), I slowly severed one at a time, married them up, and went on to the next. As many have said, not hard, not fun, just time consuming.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jcollins914
While yesterday afternoon is one I will never get back... the deed is done. I had experienced the wipers refusing to turn off, and for the last week I've been disconnecting the battery whenever I stop, because the parking lights refused to turn off whenever the battery was connected.

When things refuse to work, the path to resolution, (while not fun), makes sense to me. When things refuse not to work, ... I turn to the internet.

It has failed to cease to amaze me how the answer is nearly always available. Be it an obscure wiring problem w/ the 30,000 mile Evo I purchased ironically to get away from odd electrical issues with my 323 GTX I otherwise adored, ... whether my Miata can function reasonably w/out causing any damage in the absence of the external counterweight on the Torsen LSD that fell off, how to make meatloaf, etc....

THANKS to the OP and all who contributed their experience to this thread for leading me right to the root cause of the issue, and detailing their paths to solution!

FWIW, the wires are not all the same color on both sides. Many are, but several are not. For this reason, (to prevent excess thinking on a weekend), I slowly severed one at a time, married them up, and went on to the next. As many have said, not hard, not fun, just time consuming.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Glad you got it fixed up Jeff. It is a PITA job for sure
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:50 AM

Well add me to this thread. Will post back with pictures soon. My connectors look terrible!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old May 4, 2011, 03:12 AM

I had the same problems but with my intercooler spray bottle sticking on and wipers going.

The fix mentioned here is how mine was done but we also had the inner wing/arch out and you wil find a little black plastic box encasing the loom (on UK models anyway LHD=Passenger side LOL), this is where the problem stars water ingresses through and builds up in the box then travels down the loom into the plugs.

So we sealed the box up to just in case
Old Sep 7, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm hoping this thread helps my Turn signals gremlin, they decided not to work after a real bad rain storm that Lighting struck a house less than 100 yds away(Loudest Thunder Ever heard)...
i've bought new fuses, the fuses in there were good, they did have some rust....when i took them out & put back in, the left side worked but not the right, hopefully this freaking rain stops, so i can go to the leftside under panelnever thought of it......the NE has been like a Sore Thumb to the weather.....
Old Sep 7, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO196
I'm hoping this thread helps my Turn signals gremlin, they decided not to work after a real bad rain storm that Lighting struck a house less than 100 yds away(Loudest Thunder Ever heard)...
i've bought new fuses, the fuses in there were good, they did have some rust....when i took them out & put back in, the left side worked but not the right, hopefully this freaking rain stops, so i can go to the leftside under panelnever thought of it......the NE has been like a Sore Thumb to the weather.....
Name:  0112.jpg
Size:  58.3 KB

yea NE weather lately has been crap.
i was drivin through nasty slushy roads when my car was acting up, almost a year later she great!

Last edited by Stock-ish; Sep 7, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

What did u guys use to clean out the corrosion?

Thanx---Stockish, mine has similar situation....

Last edited by EVO196; Sep 13, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

^bump for an answer

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - symptoms and how to fix