Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Overheating Amps or headunit???

Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overheating Amps or headunit???

Hey guys I just had a quick question for those that know a bit about sound systems. Long story short, if leave the volume too high in my car for a little bit, the sound goes away sometimes for long periods of time and then comes back on. Are the Amps getting overheated or could it be the headunit? I have a Jensen Flip-up screen and Two Alpine amps, I think a 1 channel for the 10" sub and a 2-4 channel for the speakers. I already had to replace the 1 channel amp once btw.

Thanks for the help guys
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be the amps
are you running the right speaker config for the amps? aka don't run a 4 ohm stable amp on a 2 or 1 ohm sub!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
could be the amps
are you running the right speaker config for the amps? aka don't run a 4 ohm stable amp on a 2 or 1 ohm sub!
I really dont know, i had everything installed by a shop, they seem legit since they are ASE certified. Why would this happen though, it just seems weird that it only happens when the volume is above 60% from its max.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
Why would this happen though, it just seems weird that it only happens when the volume is above 60% from its max.
As the volume goes up, so does the demand on the amplifier. Eventually, the amp overheats and shuts down. The easiest way to fix this is to use a sensitive 4 Ohm driver.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Could be like others have suggested... the speaker load you are presenting the amp could be too low and the amp is working overtime to produce bass and therefore overheats, if the amp overheats it goes thermal (meaning it shuts down until it cools off).

If you post up the models of the amps and speakers I can tell you what load(s) you should be running and if you know how to check the final resistance of the sub box I can research it for you.

If everything is wired correctly, another thing could be the location of the amps, if they are not breathing properly they could be suffocating and again going thermal and shutting down.

If that's not the issue... I don't know what else it could be.

I can suggest something if you are having to replace amps over and over again... looking JL Audio Slash series or HD series... these amps have technology built in that prevent the amp from shutting down when going thermal... instead they rollback the power so the amp doesn't work as hard and then when it is cool it brings the power back without you even noticing or the amp shutting off.

Also, the HD series have even more technology implemented that produce 80% of the amps power output at 1/3 of the gain or 1/2 gain... meaning you don't have to push the amp as hard to generate as much power and bass... meaning it won't get hot and you won't have any problems.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:18 AM

It sounds like you've been receiving a lot of very good advice and answers, but just to add onto what has been said:
IF you find that all ohm levels/etc... are wired correctly, then it may just be what majestic said about your amps suffocating. You could try moving them to another location (like under the seat, or in the trunk, either mounted on the sub-box or in the open), or you could just buy a cooling fan.
Cooling fans can come as cheap as $10, or sometimes up to $60. There's a large range available online at hifisoundconnection.com, under car audio accessories > cooling fans
ALSO, you may want to look to see where the amp(s) are grounded to. If the amplifier is improperly grounded, then the circuit is not allowing an even flow of electricity (somewhat like pinching a water hose so only a little bit of the water comes out). That could explain why it overheats only at high demands. At low levels, even with a bad ground, theres still enough flow to keep the amp cool, but at higher loads there's too much resistance, causing the amp to overheat.
Although I can see why a mismatched sub and amp COULD cause an amp to overheat, I think it would be most likely caused by either a lack of free air, or a bad ground location.
Old May 2, 2010, 02:50 PM

I agree with lancer517 the ground might not be right also the power wire could have high resistance at the fuse connection or the battery if any of the power connections are loose it can cause a drop in voltage and make the amp work harder.