DIY for removing asphalt & carpet noise damping mats (w exact weight reduction #s) - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

DIY for removing asphalt & carpet noise damping mats (w exact weight reduction #s)

Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:16 AM   #16
Evolved Member

Removed the firewall carpet last night. OP wasn't lying about it being a bloody job.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Evolved Member

Drives: 03 Mitsubishi Evolution, 71 VW Super Beetle

I did this yesterday and went fairly well. I did however have problems getting the heater box to come out far enough to get the padding out easily. I spent about 30 minutes just in that section trying to cut out sections so I can pull out the rest. It just didn't seem to want to pull away from the firewall. And yes I did remove the 4 12mm bolts holding it on lol.

Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:38 AM   #18
Evolved Member

Drives: over cones

FML I already pulled the dash out once to remove all the ac crap....time to do it again

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Evolved Member

Drives: 2006 Evo SE

Does the door threshold trim just pop up? Do I need to get under the car?

I would rather get all the details squared away before I yank this out tomorrow.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Evolving Member

Drives: '06 GG IX SE (sold), '03 AP1 S2000, '93 B18C1 EG Civic, '92 Accord wagon (5-spd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollij View Post
Does the door threshold trim just pop up?
Yes. Just your standard plastic clips underneath. Nothing should break as long as the ambient temperature is significantly above freezing (55 degrees and above would be ideal).

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Evolved Member

Drives: 2006 Evo SE

Well got all of the sound deadening on the floor of the car without too much of a hassle.

Ended up going after the dash and there were many harness connectors that were a real pain in the ***. Especially the one going into the heater box. Add on top of that, the aftermarket alarm that the previous owner installed with splices everywhere... I just gave up. It ended up looking like I would have to take the steering wheel or start pulling harnesses back through the dash. Either way, I need to do some more research and have a better idea of what I am jumping into when I start on the firewall carpeting.

Next I am going to get the Dynamat the previous owner put everywhere in the trunk. I dry iced the **** out of that stuff and it still was really gummy.

Last edited by nollij; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:14 PM   #22
EvoM Moderator

Drives: IX

thanks for this. any issues removing the carpet? do you just release it from the hooks on the side as you take off the plastic siding? and obviously center console and seats as well?

Old Mar 8, 2015, 04:14 PM   #23
kaj
Evolved Member

Drives: '06 MR, '00 Civic

subbed so i can find this later

Old Mar 8, 2015, 08:39 PM   #24

Drives: 2005 Evo 8 MR

Awesome write up!

Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:43 AM   #25
Evolving Member

Drives: Evo VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
thanks for this. any issues removing the carpet? do you just release it from the hooks on the side as you take off the plastic siding? and obviously center console and seats as well?

No issues. Just have to remove seats, center console, plastic door sills, rear seat cushion, and the plastic piece covering the seat belts. Project was indeed a *****. I used a chisel and hammer . Great write up though, it prepared me for the pain.

Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:57 AM   #26
Evolving Member

Drives: EVO IX MR

nice write up man

Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:09 AM   #27
Evolving Member

Drives: 2005 Evolution MR

Thanks for the write up. I've been looking for projects to tackle on my car while waiting until I have the funds to build it. Probably will tackle this. I don't mind extra noise and it's free.