Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

MMCS removal questions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMCS removal questions

Hey,

I have a few questions I need to know about the MMCS (multi communication system) in my Lancer Evolution 8 2003 model.
Firstly, its all in Japanese, and I am Australian - in Australia. The buttons, the screen, the gps info everything.
What I want to know is:

1)Can the MMCS display (screen) be removed and replaced with an aftermarket head unit from any audio store, and the air conditioner still work? obviously it wont display the air con temps/flow directions on the new unit just as long as it still turns on and cools the car.

2)Can you disconnect the battery without the MMCS breaking and requiring a new CD to reinstall everything? (there are no Australian/English versions of the CD's and the gps is hardcoded into japan, so reprogramming is not an option). This point ties in with the first, as new sound system would be the reason for disconnecting the battery. Also for future reference if the MMCS was to stay, and new parts like fuel pump or ecu was to be installed and battery disconnected I don't want my sound system stuffed up for good and have to replace MMCS anyway.

3)Can you install a second head unit (single din) somewhere else in the car and have them both working at the same time?

4)Can you remove the MMCS screen, and the dash fascia, and replace with a "stock" (read: mitsubishi australia) replacement fascia, then install a single din head unit. This point ties in with the first as i want the air conditioning to work.

5)Can you plug your phone into the RCA ports (red white yellow) and play music through MMCS? My unit does not read CD's of any kind. Normal, mp3, data, dvd, nothing.

I have read a lot and cannot find a real answer to my problems, so I am creating a thread myself. I have called Mitsubishi Aus and they don't know -.- Any and all help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Lachlan

Last edited by Dynafit; May 7, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:25 PM

So I've done some testing myself, beginning to knock the points off one by one.

Bought an RCA cable and tested point 5. This works with audio only, as i havent been able to figure out how to play a video from my phone projected on to the mmcs screen, however that is not the goal.

Audio works through the yellow and white ports only. If you connect all three ports, you get sound out of the left hand side of the car only. upon disconnecting the right hand port (red) full sound emerged! And further testing proved that you need one of the cables to be plugged into the yellow socket and the other to be in the white for sound to work. (If no cable is in the yellow hole, the VTR menu does not appear)
The best way i have found for this to work is using the white cable in the white hole, and the red cable in the yellow hole. That way, the MMCS screen stays jet black, as opposed to using the yellow cable and the white cable which makes the MMCS screen snowy.

Disconnecting the battery will be the next step, as that seems to be the key point in most of the above ideas.

Last edited by Dynafit; May 8, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 05:34 PM

Hey man , i hope everything okay,
So i have the same problem with you and also it need now the cd to work again cause i removed the battery... So i need to know what you did ... Thank you ...
Ibrahim....
Old Oct 16, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This is a possible solution, Replace the display with a aftermarket GPS
cut out the oem radio and replace it with the rectangular cut out to accept aftermarket head units.

image posting

image sharing

image upload free

free image uploading