Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Preventing a stolen Evo..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preventing a stolen Evo..

First off I want to find out how these Evos are getting stolen??? Is it on a trailer or "hotwired".......If your evo has been stolen please give some input...

I am a certified MECP technician and I want to make it super impossible for my evo not to be stolen.....

I have so idiots i think are trying to break into it or possibly steal it so im installing.....

A viper 5904 remote start with alarm the alarm will consist of a proximity sensor and multiple shock sensors, a glass breakage sensor, backup battery for the siren and a train horn ....... haahaha hope there ears ring if they try to even attempt to steal it.......

No one really pays attention to sirens but a train horn will gather a sh*t load of attention...

I will also have switches hidden for the fuel pump shut down...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:07 PM

Best way to keep your evo safe is to keep quiet about it, also don't post your security setup, it only gives thieves insight in to what they have to deal with. Park it in a garage and don't worry about it, if they want it they will take it, simple at that.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:12 PM

Ya true No matter what any car can be stolen just sucks I dont have a garage.......but the thing I love the best is now im putting a gate around the side of my house and my pitbull will not be on the leash there at the house nemore so that will help
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Smart Start has GSP tracking. You can view exactly where your car is or when it triggers certain things you set. You can view your cars location on google maps real time after refreshing the page. We do a lot of these for customers.

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Demo.aspx
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Smart Start has GSP tracking. You can view exactly where your car is or when it triggers certain things you set. You can view your cars location on google maps real time after refreshing the page. We do a lot of these for customers.

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/Demo.aspx
Very nice, I might have to setup my setup.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I had my car stolen but found very next day. And this is what I noticed that they do:

1. Break the rear quarter window (passenger side in my case), reach in and open the door.
2. Tape the rear quarter window with Black duck tape to cover the broken window look.
3. Unplug ECU from under the glove box and plug in your own Evo Ecu with immobilizer disabled in the tune.
4. Break the key ignition assembly, so that you can stick in a flat head screw driver and start the car.
5. Drive the car to some random location and park it for a day, just in case it has Lojack GPS devise on it. Then later come back and drive it to your chop shop or where ever. (In my case cops found the car before they were able to come back to take the car. Neighbors in the area noticed something suspicious and called the cops, from what I was told.)

At least this is what they did with my car. I figured out that they have their own ECU because they left my ECU wires unplugged. Also when they break the key ignition switch, the sensor for the key immobilizer no longer works. So the car wont start unless your tune has the immobilizer disabled. I tried starting it with my ECU plugged back in and it would just crank without starting.

Solutions:
GPS, Lojack, Kill Switch, or even that club thing that locks the brake pedal. In my opinion they never steal it by towing because they risk too much such as tow truck/license plate being seen.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Taylor master switch works well :-) they're smart enough to hot wire and swap ecu's but not enough to notice that switch I have that disconnects the battery in the trunk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:13 AM

Using a chain from a boat anchor you chain it to a tree.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mileb
Using a chain from a boat anchor you chain it to a tree.
LOL. I would say a garage would be your best bet. Although, I've heard of vehicles stolen out of garages. If someone REALLY wants your car, they'll get it.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I had my car stolen but found very next day. And this is what I noticed that they do:

1. Break the rear quarter window (passenger side in my case), reach in and open the door.
2. Tape the rear quarter window with Black duck tape to cover the broken window look.
3. Unplug ECU from under the glove box and plug in your own Evo Ecu with immobilizer disabled in the tune.
4. Break the key ignition assembly, so that you can stick in a flat head screw driver and start the car.
5. Drive the car to some random location and park it for a day, just in case it has Lojack GPS devise on it. Then later come back and drive it to your chop shop or where ever. (In my case cops found the car before they were able to come back to take the car. Neighbors in the area noticed something suspicious and called the cops, from what I was told.)

At least this is what they did with my car. I figured out that they have their own ECU because they left my ECU wires unplugged. Also when they break the key ignition switch, the sensor for the key immobilizer no longer works. So the car wont start unless your tune has the immobilizer disabled. I tried starting it with my ECU plugged back in and it would just crank without starting.

Solutions:
GPS, Lojack, Kill Switch, or even that club thing that locks the brake pedal. In my opinion they never steal it by towing because they risk too much such as tow truck/license plate being seen.
some good info! thanks for posting it
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

When I had my Evo VIII, a couple nerds attempted to steal my car... they followed steps 1, 2, and 4... but forgot step 3 so my car was still in the parking lot where I left it. Insurance covered all the damage.

A kill switch on the fuel pump is a great idea... especially if you stick it somewhere really annoying to find. Lojack and the Smart Start can't hurt either and sound like solid protection. But the sad reality is that thieves are clever; they spend a lot time trying to figure out ways to take your hard-earned stuff instead of getting a job and buying their own.

Just make sure you have an insurance policy that covers everything, including your aftermarket parts if you're really concerned / live in a rough area.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:42 AM

Where can the ignition switch assembly be repaired...cause thats what happened to my cousin. Removing the ignition lock to turn with flathead
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX

Solutions:
How much was it to fix the ignition switch assembly...my cousins evo was broken into that way. Insurance is no help
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robertv34
First off I want to find out how these Evos are getting stolen??? Is it on a trailer or "hotwired".......If your evo has been stolen please give some input...

I am a certified MECP technician and I want to make it super impossible for my evo not to be stolen.....

I have so idiots i think are trying to break into it or possibly steal it so im installing.....

A viper 5904 remote start with alarm the alarm will consist of a proximity sensor and multiple shock sensors, a glass breakage sensor, backup battery for the siren and a train horn ....... haahaha hope there ears ring if they try to even attempt to steal it.......

No one really pays attention to sirens but a train horn will gather a sh*t load of attention...

I will also have switches hidden for the fuel pump shut down...
I cringe every time I see a thread asking about how people had their cars stolen for the simple fact that you never know what someones true motives are, not saying yours are ill but you know what I mean, and the people who are foolish enough to post exactly how their cars are stolen are simply helping the not so good intentioned people aka thieves so for those who said how it happened....

That being said I will not comment on how my car was almost stolen but I will provide ideas on what the best theft deterrents are IMO and in the opinion of the detective who worked on my case when my car was almost stolen.

1. The detective said in the 13+ years he has been assigned to the car theft dept. that never once has he seen a car get stolen that used the club. He did say that using the club is the key though because he has come across cars where the owners simply didnt use it and it was sitting right in the back seat of the stolen car.

2. Detachable steering wheel, BUT, you need to have this since you can simply pop another wheel on it... http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...idcategory=467

3. Kill switches. Thieves are not going to sit there diagnosing your car to get it to start. If they cant get it quick then they will just walk away and not take the risk.

4. In car cameras. I read a thread on here about someone doing this and busting a group of kids who were messing up cars in the parking lot where he worked.

5. CarShield

6. Window Etching

7. LoJack or something like it NOT wired in the same spots they usually do it.

8. I cant recall what it is called but there is a type of hexagon style pin "key" that you use and place against the matching side of another "key" mounted in your car that has been custom wired to multiple and random wires in the cars harness that is near impossible to hot wire... Tried to Google it with no luck, I know its in a thread somewhere on this site also.

9. Warning stickers

10. Remove fuse(s) each time you park the car, I used to remove my ECU fuse in my Integra every time I went to work. It literally saved the car from being stolen, it didnt prevent the steering column from being smashed though. This is another one of those things that a thief wont spend time trying to diagnose

Those are just about the best things I can think of
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:28 AM

Love that a 5 step process is just posted to show how to take each of our cars..

Quick Reply: Preventing a stolen Evo..