Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Electrical / Car Alarm Problem - Evo going nuts!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical / Car Alarm Problem - Evo going nuts!

Hey all,

I dont post much but I have a serious issue with my evo. (06 IX SE)

My brother has the car currently and is helping me from afar. I am currently stationed out of state for military and am in need of some brainstorming to help my brother out.

Back story:

During Christmas break I took leave and drove the car from MS to OH to drop the car off to get worked on. (Needed an axle and wheel speed sensor replaced.)

I returned after break to MS and left the car up there in the shops care.

The car sat for a few weeks while getting worked on. The car got snowed on probably 3 times lol.

Anyway the temperatures in Ohio have been really cold and it killed the battery (optima red top) while it sat outside.

About a month went by and the car got fixed. The shop needed to jump the battery to get the car to start. Everything was ok except for the battery.

My brother and his friend came and picked the car up and drove it home. It sat for about another week. More snow lol. About 12" worth.

Well the snow all melted and this past weekend my brother tried to jump the car. Nothing. So he went to a local auto store and had the optima tested. Pretty much gone. Wouldn't hold a charge or anything. He purchased a new battery and off back home he went to install the new battery.

So my brother puts the battery in and connects the cables. Heres where it gets weird.

The cars alarm was going off and he couldn't shut off the car with the remote.

I purchased the car with a Python security system. Its a python 7701 or something.

Anyway the cars alarm sounds and the doors wont lock or unlock.

The wipers are uncontrollable and all the dash lights flash. He is unable to stop the alarm or start the car. He has to unhook the battery to get the car to stop everything.

He called python tech support, which were zero help. They suggested the valet button or reprogramming the remote to the vehicle, which he has tried. They pretty much told him to take it to some place who installs security systems and have them look at it.

Heres a few of my thoughts:

The alarm is ****ing with the car since the battery died and killed the car completely. But whats weird is the car drove fine from the shop to my brothers house. The thing is intricately wired into the evo and Im sure having it pulled off would be a nightmare.

Ive done some searching and it looks like people have issues with water running down the tray between the windshield and the hood collecting in the driver side kick panel. Could all the snow have melted and fried that kick panel?

I hate to speculate on anything but Im hundreds of miles away. I have zero knowledge of how an alarm system is wired in. I also have no access to see the car other than what my brother sees and tells me. I also dont want to get stuck in a rabbit hole assuming its either the alarm or the kickplate.

Anyone here experience a similar issue or have a buddy who was able to solve something similar?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I have a similiar issue. I have an Autopage system, but last fall when it started to get cold, my system started acting funny. One day when leaving work, my remote wasn't working, my car wouldn't start and I could hear a ticking in my alarm "Brain". Put the key in pressed the valet button and nothing. Thought maybe the battery was drained because I had a OBII plugged in, so changed the battery.. Nothing.

After messing with the brain the alarm started going off so I unplugged a fuse on it. Alarm stopped, car started right up and I drove home. This Spring I just put the fuse back in and everything is working as before, so I do think the cold does do things to these systems. Maybe your brother can find a fuse on the brain to unplug for now.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey darwin just doing my yearly melancholical search for my old SE. Just to give you a little background, the kid that installed that alarm was a wiring wizard that built a few amazing wiring harnesses for a few fast hondas back in 2010. He was a pretty good friend of mine, but much more an inspiration to the local group of now bit old timer car nuts in this area. His name was Nick Haines he died in May 1, 2010.

I am confident that, that alarm was installed flawlessly when I had him install it back in 2008. Anyways you probably solved the issue by now. Hope you did at least.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 07:08 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
sounds like his ETACS fried not the alarm. No alarm is gonna be triggering the windshield wipers and dash lights.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Wipers going nuts most definitely is corrosion in the connectors in the junction block behind drivers left foot kick panel. See my gremlins Sticky in this section right above your thread. Nothing a little solder can't fix.