Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

rain gremlins (connector)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rain gremlins (connector)

i have water in my connectors, drivers side kick panel found out i had corrosion. do i cut them and solder them together? or what can i do? just buy new connectors? repin them? i dont know! help lol

Old Jan 29, 2017, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
unplug them and dry them out either naturally, maybe blow drier etc. Then get some dielectric grease apply and reconnect. find the grommet in the inner fender well where those wires come thru and silicon the grommet to seal it. Good luck.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-how-fix.html
Old Feb 4, 2017, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Years ago I worked at a sewage treatment plant. Needless to say we had plenty of green corrosion on electronics - sometimes entire circuit boards. I'd scrub them down with contact cleaner using a tooth brush. Things would generally start working again. But if your car's connector is too bad then do the cutting and soldering.

I drive an Evo 8 but never had this problem. When other owners started reporting it I siliconed the grommet. Also, in front of the underhood fuse box where this loom originates there's a place where water drains off the hood and drops onto this loom. So, it is possible that the water comes from there and just drains all the way back to inside the car. I protected this area too.
The following users liked this post:
gsrboi80 (Feb 5, 2017)
Old Feb 5, 2017, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Years ago I worked at a sewage treatment plant. Needless to say we had plenty of green corrosion on electronics - sometimes entire circuit boards. I'd scrub them down with contact cleaner using a tooth brush. Things would generally start working again. But if your car's connector is too bad then do the cutting and soldering.

I drive an Evo 8 but never had this problem. When other owners started reporting it I siliconed the grommet. Also, in front of the underhood fuse box where this loom originates there's a place where water drains off the hood and drops onto this loom. So, it is possible that the water comes from there and just drains all the way back to inside the car. I protected this area too.
Very well said BB.

OP: Def have a look at the wires on the back side of the connectors still in the junction block. I've repaired some so corroded were they were breaking off at the pin. Have to cut those wires back far enough to get to clean wire in order to get solder to take.

Good luck seems you have a good handle on it.