Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Wiring speakers back into stock harness

Old May 15, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wiring speakers back into stock harness

So long story short my evo had a amp I it with all the speakers running to it amp died and I want to just wire it all back into the stock harness how much of a pain in the but is this to do I'm not great with stereos and stuff but I'm pretty good at soldering and wire work
Old May 15, 2017, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It really depends on how the install was done. You just have to reverse how ever that was. Start by following the speaker wires from the amp, do they all head up to where the factory head unit is, or do they go to the actual speakers? Also can you take a picture of your radio harness and post it?

It can be one of 2 ways, either they ran the wires from the amp directly to the speakers, or they tap into the factory wires at some point. If they ran them straight to the speakers, its easy, you just remove the wires and plug back in the factory ones. If they tapped into the factory wires you just need to find where that is and undo it. Hopefully if they did tap in, they did at at the deck adapter harness, that would be best case. Worst case is they hacked up the factory side of the deck harness and you will have to solder this back together.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; May 15, 2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I'll report back when I can get into it later on today all the speaker wires are running to the amp I'm 100% sure of that because they upgraded the wire from the speakers to the amp
Old May 15, 2017, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Also PS the original harness is all still there looks like the cut it tho to wire it to an after market deck that has a different plug style then the stock on
Old May 15, 2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Also PS the original harness is all still there looks like the cut it tho to wire it to an after market deck that has a different plug style then the stock on
Did the cut the original harness, or use an adapter harness? If they cut the original harness that's a pretty terrible way to do it, and you will have to repair it.
Old May 15, 2017, 01:54 PM

I'll report back when I can get into it later on today all the speaker wires are running to the amp I'm 100% sure of that because they upgraded the wire from the speakers to the amp
well yah the speaker wires would all be going to the amp, but what you need to find out is where they go from there.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

No they used an adaptor did not cut the original harness there is an adaptor on it
Old May 16, 2017, 08:17 PM

No they used an adaptor did not cut the original harness there is an adaptor on it
cool thats good. So are the speaker wires running from the amp to that harness, or do they go out to the individual speakers?
Old May 29, 2017, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

To the amp then from the amp to the head unit so im hoping the stock wiring is still all there going to ne looking this next weekend
Old May 30, 2017, 08:58 AM

To the amp then from the amp to the head unit so im hoping the stock wiring is still all there going to ne looking this next weekend
cool, so you just need to cut where the speaker wires are going into the adapter harness, then wire the matching color wires of the adapter harness to the deck harness and you should be good to go.
Old May 30, 2017, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Well so the speakers go to the amp and then from the amp to the back of the head unit they used all blue wires to the amp lawl go figure so i was hoping to pop the speakers out and still see the stock wiring all there fingers crossed
Old May 31, 2017, 08:20 AM

Well so the speakers go to the amp and then from the amp to the back of the head unit they used all blue wires to the amp lawl go figure so i was hoping to pop the speakers out and still see the stock wiring all there fingers crossed
OK so there are speaker wires run from the amp out to each speaker then. The wires running to your head unit are RCA cables? You could use your meter to do a continuity test from the amp speaker wire to the deck adapter harness speaker wires. If it beeps you know they tapped into the factory wires. If not then they probably unhooked the factory wires from the speaker. If it beeps you could just unhook the amp, wire up the deck harness back into the speaker wires and leave it that way. If you replace the amp in the future the wiring is still all there. If there is no continuity you will have to dismantle the doors etc to get to the speakers and plug the factory wires back into them.
Old May 31, 2017, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Yes sorry they ran rca wires to the deck from the amp that's why I'm saying I hope all the stock wires are there I had a look at the back speakers today and I don't see any of the stock wires from the looks of it