Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Double Din Head Unit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Double Din Head Unit Recommendations

I am thinking about switching over to a double din unit and wanted to see what headunits people were running? I was reading up on kyoo's thread for the android and the Joying headunit, but I have an IPhone so I am looking for a compatible unit that won't break the bank.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
bump. Also interested, does anyone know any headunits with a dashlink type system?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a jvc double in, cheap enough one, if i had that extra bit of money id buy pioneer or alpine that is touch screen and sat nav built in. but if you just looking for normal radio unit then get one that has bluetooth for phone calls , aux ,usb etc
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Pioneer now has both the traditional double din navigation unit and the new AppRadio. For the price I think it can't be beaten. Find a nearby car audio shop to try on one of these and see if you like.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Sony XAV-AX100

does apple carplay and android auto, sleek headunit with no stupid flashing colored lights
Old Jun 12, 2017, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Sony XAV-AX100

does apple carplay and android auto, sleek headunit with no stupid flashing colored lights
Do you have a picture of it installed? I was just looking at this same unit.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I dont have any experience with aftermarket double din units and the Evo. I started looking into them recently and realized that CD/DVD players are not important to me and will never use them. I rather have something that is just a receiver unit with display with just Bluetooth and USB’s as source of inputs.

Maybe there are different better options out there but I found this Alpine that looks nice but kind of pricey.

Alpine iLX-107
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...c&awug=9021475

Any one else have other suggestions for (non CD/DVD) double dins out there? Also preferably have the ability to support Apple Car Play or mirror iphone screen...
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:18 PM

The Sony mentioned above is a digital media only receiver with CarPlay. Some other options out there are the Pioneer AppRadio 4 and Kenwood DMX7704S. That Alpine you linked is nice because I think it's one of the few options out there that will do wireless CarPlay with the iPhone.

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I dont have any experience with aftermarket double din units and the Evo. I started looking into them recently and realized that CD/DVD players are not important to me and will never use them. I rather have something that is just a receiver unit with display with just Bluetooth and USB’s as source of inputs.

Maybe there are different better options out there but I found this Alpine that looks nice but kind of pricey.

Alpine iLX-107
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...c&awug=9021475

Any one else have other suggestions for (non CD/DVD) double dins out there? Also preferably have the ability to support Apple Car Play or mirror iphone screen...
Old Jun 12, 2017, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by illbill
Do you have a picture of it installed? I was just looking at this same unit.
I dont, right now it's only installed in the lady's car, havent had a chance to install mine yet
Old Jun 12, 2017, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
glad I saw this thread... my RS will need a radio soon so gotta start looking into which unit to run.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Apple car play would be nice but it seems like the price is about double the pioneer unit. Not too cheap out on the headunit, but the car is usually driven on the weekends primarily, just trying to justify the purchase although I am sold on getting a double din receiver regardless
Old Jun 15, 2017, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krisdlm
Apple car play would be nice but it seems like the price is about double the pioneer unit. Not too cheap out on the headunit, but the car is usually driven on the weekends primarily, just trying to justify the purchase although I am sold on getting a double din receiver regardless
what pioneer unit? the sony is one of the lowest priced units that does carplay and android auto and has an arguably better interface than all the others anyhow
Old Jun 15, 2017, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
what pioneer unit? the sony is one of the lowest priced units that does carplay and android auto and has an arguably better interface than all the others anyhow
I do like Sony headunits very much too. Really tasty(?) designs and well programmed. Just look at these babes: http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/in...eivers-players
Old Jun 20, 2017, 08:08 AM

The Sony CarPlay unit dropped $50 this past week so now it is the same price as the Pioneer AppRadio 4.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 07:41 PM

Sorry to bring this back up but does anyone else have the Sony unit installed? Or is running a different one than the ones talked about? And if so how do you like it?

I also have an Android phone.

Quick Reply: Double Din Head Unit Recommendations